• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Denmark 1 - 1 England - UEFA Euro 2024 - Group Stage 20 June

That midfield is not a cup winning midfield. Pickford had more touches than Alexander Arnold at the time he went off apparently. Lol, and TAA was in midfield. We have some fantastic players, but the tactics from Southgate are not suited to the attacking players in the team. And once again, sideways, sideways, sideways and back to Jack in the box Pickford, who sometimes gets the pass wrong, and the opposition nick the ball. The rare occasion we ran through the middle with the ball, we looked dangerous. It's so boring to watch, and the system they are asked to play is forcing errors from us, rather than the opposition.
Spot on, so bloody boring it’s painful.

Very few bright spots, Guehi again looked solid apart from one slip up which he redeemed himself straight away. Saka and Foden were doing OK until their withdrawal. Watkins looked way more.mobile than Kane. I haven't seen a lot of Bellingham, he looked bang average here, the whole engine room looked very shaky.

Maybe I've seen too much League Two in my lifetime because I can't stomach us trying to pass in little triangles with Pickford when there's a load of Danish players breathing down our necks.

Absolutely shambolic. Best players in three of the top four leagues in the world and Southgate can't get a tune out of them. They made a team made up of mostly Brentford players look half decent. The only comfort I have is that this is the last we will see of this awful middle management NPC. We should win this tournament and we almost certainly won't unless somebody gets a ****ing clue.

Drop TAA. Play Bellingham alongside Rice. Foden central. Bowen or Gordon on the left. We can all see it, except the ****ing buffoon in charge.

Left here where i live in Germany at 07.20
arrived back at 21.00
Was only in frankfurt150 minutes, enjoying everything about the build up.
Took a chance,dont watch the game on the box...seems i made another good choice.
Germans what ive read so far say we were poor again
The Danes before the game were taking the pee out of England..and sadly it seems the were correct
Will try and see the highlights tomorrow when i sober up...or maybe not

Left here where i live in Germany at 07.20
arrived back at 21.00
Was only in frankfurt150 minutes, enjoying everything about the build up.
Took a chance,dont watch the game on the box...seems i made another good choice.
Germans what ive read so far say we were poor again
The Danes before the game were taking the pee out of England..and sadly it seems the were correct
Will try and see the highlights tomorrow when i sober up...or maybe not
You mean the lowlights?

We were crap. There's no denying it.

But I think we often play better against the better teams because they set up to beat us rather than play 11 behind the ball to frustrate us.

That's exactly what Denmark did. It didn't surprise me when the commentator said that the Man Ure centre forward was the one making a block in his own area.

Don't get me wrong, Denmark were very good at it, but it did make for a crap match, especially as we weren't good enough to break them down.

What frustrates me, though, is that when we score we seem to go into our shell, whereas when other teams score they come out of there's.

It's the Southgate mentality. Score a goal, play deeper, and park the bus. We got away with it against Serbia, just, but not against Denmark. And certainly won't against the likes of Germany, France and Spain. We are not good enough to keep the ball at the back without giving it away. Someone always mis directs a pass, or passes too hard or soft, or one defender has a poor first touch. This negative manager is no good for this squad. We were no threat down the left. Any other manager would have seen that and brought on Anthony Gordon, who's had a terrific season playing in that position. Perhaps he's too positive for Southgate. Southgate doesn't want any of that attacking malarky when we are winning or drawing a game. After the game, astonishingly, Southgate making excuses, said we haven't got a replacement for Calvin Phillips. Oh my Lord. Calvin Phillips. As if he's a world class player we are missing. Perhaps you're the problem Gareth, playing 3 right backs, 2 obviously out of position, meaning the team is all over the place, but not in a good way.

Last edited:
It's the Southgate mentality. Score a goal, play deeper, and park the bus. We got away with it against Serbia, just, but not against Denmark. And certainly won't against the likes of Germany, France and Spain. We are not good enough to keep the ball at the back without giving it away. Someone always mis directs a pass, or passes too hard or soft, or one defender has a poor first touch. This negative manager is no good for this squad. We were no threat down the left. Any other manager would have seen that and brought on Anthony Gordon, who's had a terrific season playing in that position. Perhaps he's too positive for Southgate. Southgate doesn't want any of that attacking malarky when we are winning or drawing a game. After the game, astonishingly, Southgate making excuses, said we haven't got a replacement for Calvin Phillips. Oh my Lord. Calvin Phillips. As if he's a world class player we are missing. Perhaps you're the problem Gareth, playing 3 right backs, 2 obviously out of position, meaning the team is all over the place, but not in a good way.
If Phillips is so important then he should have included him in the squad. He’s out of form but he isn’t injured is he?

There are two core problems that are contributing to this current iteration of Southgate’s England for me.

Firstly, there’s no vertical movement or threat. If you look at the average positions of players from the last two games, it’s incredibly flat. There’s numerous issues here: we invite the press and then can’t get out, building the attack is slower than it needs to be as it takes longer to get players into position(s), we’re vulnerable in transition and we negate the strengths of key players (Trent’s passing range, Foden’s movement, Bellingham’s box play).

Secondly, the midfield is unbalanced, which is made worse by the lack of vertical movement but also causes it. Trent Alexander Arnold is not a midfielder. He’s not. The experiment has failed. He can pass a ball sure, but he could do that from right back and Southgate needs to pick either him or Walker in that position. Yesterday’s game was crying out for Mainoo in that position - a tidy, effective midfielder who could’ve moved us up the pitch and played around or through Denmark’s press.

I can still understand Southgate’s thinking around Trent - on paper, he offers an entirely new dimension to this midfield and I do still think it’s an option we can keep if we need penetrative passing in the dying stages of a game. But it’s not working from the start and were ceding control of the ball as a result (whilst exacerbating other issues elsewhere).

You either drop Bellingham into the 8, move Foden centrally and drop in Gordon (Palmer’s too central and would overly contest the midfield) on the left, or you bring in Mainoo/Wharton against weaker opposition/Gallagher when you need more dynamism.

That’d solve a lot of the issues we’re seeing play out. All eyes on Tuesday to see if it’s fixed.

Yep, I’ve tried my best to give him the benefit of the doubt (second most successful England manager ever afterall) but I’m now firmly in the camp that if we could replace him between now and next Tuesday (no pun intended) I ****ing would.
so would i Southgate is crap Ten Hag was right

time to bring in the next England manager, perhaps we will get the new manager syndrome and play beautiful football. What a waste of talent we have under Southgate.

I thought yesterdays line-up and system was way too predictable. Denmark strung 5 across midfield and just stopped us playing our passing game (plus the pitch didn't help). With so many attacking options, and a lack of a natural LB, i'm surprised he hasn't tinkered with 3-5-2. Still, may be a bit late in the day to try new systems.

Back