• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Weren't we linked with him last summer too?

Has anyone read todays echo before posting on this thread ?

PB has said that he knows CF from his Hull days and he has kept in touch, CF has asked if he can train at SUFC as he lives in southend and is currently without a club. PB said that he did the same last year, there appears to be no mention of the word "trial", just "training with"

The Braintree lad had an offer on the table when he arrived and PB said he felt it would probably short lived from the day he arrived....

exactly as some have said ,strikers cannot score goals if not given the service,if he can create and assist then even at the age of 31 hes far from past it.Give the man a chance,also he has the experience which can only help some of our younger players.PB is not stupid ,he knows what Craig Fagan can bring to the club or he wouldnt bother to even give him a trial.So lay off the negativity and wait and see before you criticise.For crying out loud if players were to read some of your threads they wouldnt want to come to SUFC FOR ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY .
You really think players give a **** about what we think ? We just offer opinions, often wrong including mine but this is a forum to debate whatever we like.

I love that three of the most sensible posts (above) have been virtually ignored so people can moan about his goalscoring record.

The chances are; seeing that Fagan has spent most of his career in a supporting role for his side's attack, he is being brought here to address the lack of chances we created for our forwards last season, which if successful then indirectly helps us solve the lack of goals issue.

There's no point buying loads of deadly strikers, if we're not creating chances for them, which was the biggest issue last year.

You need to look beyond the single dimension of scoring goals. It's not always the strikers fault, if they don't receive service, they don't score goals, no matter how good their record previously was, or wasn't. Fagan is a player that creates goals, it's why he plays out wide, or off the front man. If he comes here scores six goals all season, but helps the team score another twenty through assists or link up play, then he's succesful. but seeing as you gave Barnard the grand total of about 120 minutes before calling him out last season, I doubt very much you'll be on our players side again this season.
Who did we have in the side that was deadly last year ? I wouldn't even class Freddy in that bracket anymore.

I love that three of the most sensible posts (above) have been virtually ignored so people can moan about his goalscoring record.

The chances are; seeing that Fagan has spent most of his career in a supporting role for his side's attack, he is being brought here to address the lack of chances we created for our forwards last season, which if successful then indirectly helps us solve the lack of goals issue.

There's no point buying loads of deadly strikers, if we're not creating chances for them, which was the biggest issue last year.

You need to look beyond the single dimension of scoring goals. It's not always the strikers fault, if they don't receive service, they don't score goals, no matter how good their record previously was, or wasn't. Fagan is a player that creates goals, it's why he plays out wide, or off the front man. If he comes here scores six goals all season, but helps the team score another twenty through assists or link up play, then he's succesful. but seeing as you gave Barnard the grand total of about 120 minutes before calling him out last season, I doubt very much you'll be on our players side again this season.

Firestorm seems to have sussed it regarding Fagan!

Barnard had 14 appearances last season and NEVER scored from open play,You may think that is good however I don't.

Firestorm seems to have sussed it regarding Fagan!

Barnard had 14 appearances last season and NEVER scored from open play,You may think that is good however I don't.

I haven't got any thing sussed, other than the ability to read , and re type on an internet forum.......

I haven't got any thing sussed, other than the ability to read , and re type on an internet forum.......
Hang on a minute, the first post that started this thread says Fagan is trialling against GWR, I read that, trialling is not the same as training with us to get fit

Why are people so quick to jump on players backs? Does my head in...

Corr didnt come with a very good goal record, but he's done alright. If we can afford him, Fagan would be a brilliant signing for our level and fits perfectly in a 433, either as a target man or one of the wider positions. Brown knows him inside out, so give the lad a chance eh!?

Are you new here?

Hang on a minute, the first post that started this thread says Fagan is trialling against GWR, I read that, trialling is not the same as training with us to get fit

I was referring to todays Echo, I read it and I retyped it, no profound insight, nothing "sussed".

Its funny , people are saying that his recent history of goals is poor and therefore we shouldnt be excited about this type of player and yet when Eastwood returned a couple of years back, his most recent history of goalscoring then being up there with a Central Defenders, the red carpet was laid out and his signing was being heralded from the roof tops as a master stroke !

I agree with your conclusion - let's give Fagan a chance - but the above is a completely one-sided re-writing of history. From what I recall, many laid out the red carpet for a returning legend but just as many took a more cautious view while others came out right against it - as I'm guessing you yourself would have done at the time.

For all those bemoaning Fagan's scoring stats, if our policy was to only sign players with excellent records or evidence of an upward trajectory, we'd definitely be starting the season with 2 or 3 quite excellent players. But then we couldn't afford anyone else in the team and the 1-0-2-0 formation is just not going to win many games.

Has anyone read todays echo before posting on this thread ?

PB has said that he knows CF from his Hull days and he has kept in touch, CF has asked if he can train at SUFC as he lives in southend and is currently without a club. PB said that he did the same last year, there appears to be no mention of the word "trial", just "training with"

The Braintree lad had an offer on the table when he arrived and PB said he felt it would probably short lived from the day he arrived....

I don't have the paper edition, but the website is slightly different

FORMER Hull City striker Craig Fagan is on trial with Southend United.
The 31-year-old has remained in touch with Shrimpers boss Phil Brown since their time together with the Tigers.
And Fagan now looks set to line up for Blues in their first pre-season friendly at Great Wakering Rovers on Saturday.
“Craig is someone I know very well, he lives in Southend now and he’s coming in for us to have a look at him during pre-season,” said Brown.
“He came in last season before going to Gillingham and he asked if he could do the same this time too.

“It’s a chance for him to keep his fitness up and it’s also a chance for us to have a look at him.
“He’s an experienced player and, right now, I expect him to play for us in our first pre-season game against Great Wakering Rovers on Saturday

It doesn't matter who is up front if you're not creating chances - unless you have a Freddy Eastwood or Stan Collymore who can create their own goals.

Similarly if you are creating chances then to a degree it doesn't really matter who you have up front. If you create enough chances then a half decent player will score from them.

My Mistake....it was early when I got the echo.....

in my defence, Brown never mentions the word trial ....

Chris Phillips tweeted it.

I probably should have quoted him for clarity.

Chris Phillips
@CJPhillips1982
Former Hull City striker Craig Fagan is on trial at Southend and will play at Great Wakering on Saturday.

#PB has said that he knows CF from his Hull days and he has kept in touch, CF has asked if he can train at SUFC as he lives in southend and is currently without a club. PB said that he did the same last year, there appears to be no mention of the word "trial", just "training with"#

Look like CF rather live in Southend than living up in a Colchester when he played for the scums back in 2004!

#PB has said that he knows CF from his Hull days and he has kept in touch, CF has asked if he can train at SUFC as he lives in southend and is currently without a club. PB said that he did the same last year, there appears to be no mention of the word "trial", just "training with"#

Look like CF rather live in Southend than living up in a Colchester when he played for the scums back in 2004!
Give me strength, did you look at Jam Man's post right before yours at 3.39 ?

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back