• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Well whatever the truth is unfortuantely as much as it grates to do it I have to agree with mrsblue that we need someone younger and hungry but I don't think we can afford pacey too !!!!

Yay we agree!

On Fagan I am damned if I do or damned if Don't but here goes anyway.

He is aged 31 rarely finds the net and won't be cheap,Defo not for me.

If you actually look at the positions he has played, it has most been out wide and seems to of topped the assists charts for his clubs fairly regularly.

Because Eastwood was a returning legend and had at least been a 20 goal a season scorer at one point.
Fagan has never been prolific.

Sorry Jam Man but that means nothing. Returning legend or not. At the time he was signed, his recent seasons had been awful. I dont want to pay a player a wage of what he achieved 7 years prior. All I am saying is that people on here right people off, even before they have a trial, using the players "recent" history ..., yet when "returning legends" are bought in, their recent histories go out the window.

Yay we agree!

why would someone trying to extend his career another couple of years not be cheap?

personally i dont see why he would be looking for a top end wage?

Yay we agree!

But we are trialling him. So surely, if he proves that he is hungry and can maybe score goals to get us out of this division, he is worth supporting whilst he trials. I agreem, in an ideal world, a young, fast goal getter would be top of my list, but then again, so are they on everyones elses. Hence why these type of players demand either a high premium and also a wage, as he has leverage. Sadly, some youngsters, plying their trade in the non league, have a better lifestyle there, as they have a full time job, whilst also scoring goals for their non league club. Even football league clubs can sometimes not financially compete with this livilhood that some of these players enjoy.

Prefers to play on the right side of a 433. Think it will be a great signing as I say, experience, a physical presence, pretty quick and as I said Brown knows what he's gonna get.

Our fans will expect 25 goals by September and boo him out the club, but still...

Lack of goals cost us in last seasons play off and lack of goals cost us during the campaign !

Fagan's record lacks the goal scoring prowess to get us out of this awful division.

i think you might be over stating the pace these days Pboreham. as i said earlier, i believe hes lost some of that after a couple of serious injuries.

My colleague recently played a 5 a side on Canvey & his mate turned up with his team bragging they would win cos they "had a pro".
Anyway these 2 met in the final & my Colleagues team won 3-0 - I asked about the pro & he said he was at Gills. I took a guess on Craig Fagan got a piccy online & he said it was him. He said he was throughly miserable, moaned all the time & would never thought he was a"pro".
I would not however judge Mr Fagan on this performance & hope he does well if he plays for us on Saturday.

If you actually look at the positions he has played, it has most been out wide and seems to of topped the assists charts for his clubs fairly regularly.

12(6) having joined the club in mid november. usually played either behind the striker or as a wide forward.

Prefers to play on the right side of a 433. Think it will be a great signing as I say, experience, a physical presence, pretty quick and as I said Brown knows what he's gonna get.

Our fans will expect 25 goals by September and boo him out the club, but still...

I love that three of the most sensible posts (above) have been virtually ignored so people can moan about his goalscoring record.

The chances are; seeing that Fagan has spent most of his career in a supporting role for his side's attack, he is being brought here to address the lack of chances we created for our forwards last season, which if successful then indirectly helps us solve the lack of goals issue.

There's no point buying loads of deadly strikers, if we're not creating chances for them, which was the biggest issue last year.

Lack of goals cost us in last seasons play off and lack of goals cost us during the campaign !

Fagan's record lacks the goal scoring prowess to get us out of this awful division.

You need to look beyond the single dimension of scoring goals. It's not always the strikers fault, if they don't receive service, they don't score goals, no matter how good their record previously was, or wasn't. Fagan is a player that creates goals, it's why he plays out wide, or off the front man. If he comes here scores six goals all season, but helps the team score another twenty through assists or link up play, then he's succesful. but seeing as you gave Barnard the grand total of about 120 minutes before calling him out last season, I doubt very much you'll be on our players side again this season.

Last edited:
Ah come on, give him an chance, sometime the players don't do well anywhere else, it's depend on the manager really. Mr Brown know what he can bring to the team and I am sure he will bring the best out of him.

At age of 31, it's a good age, if fit, he have 4/5 good years left in football, if he was 35, then it's fair enough to moan about him. He is coming on trials for f... sake!

He's getting a trial- if he is up for it and PB thinks we should offer him something that great by me- if not he wont
But I do find it odd that we get so excited by a conference player who the best they can do is get a contract with another conference club, and then rubbish without even a chance a player who has played at the highest level and is 31 not 41..
I will reserve judgement until I have seen him play in the flesh at GWR Sat

exactly as some have said ,strikers cannot score goals if not given the service,if he can create and assist then even at the age of 31 hes far from past it.Give the man a chance,also he has the experience which can only help some of our younger players.PB is not stupid ,he knows what Craig Fagan can bring to the club or he wouldnt bother to even give him a trial.So lay off the negativity and wait and see before you criticise.For crying out loud if players were to read some of your threads they wouldnt want to come to SUFC FOR ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY .

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back