• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tier 4 probably isn't effective for the new variant, it's a policy that's been running since November and it wasn't designed for this new variant. We didn't get the numbers low enough in the autumn which has enabled this new variant to take hold and become probably the dominant variant in the population now, which is probably more transmissible and therefore we face a prolonged and highly restrictive period over the next weeks/months. As usual, we've moved too late which causes more deaths and misery, including the length of lockdown necessary to bring things back under control. We've been our own worst enemy in relaxing things over Christmas when they should have been tightened.

We could have maybe got away with a 4 week Christmas break lockdown which only disrupts 2 weeks of school, but instead we might now be looking at a 6 week lockdown. We've also enabled one day of school/mixing, just for good measure, and have missed out on the opportunity for teachers to be planning remote teaching rather than face-to-face teaching.

Agree actions have/are being taken too late. Just seen this table and whilst cluster outbreaks don't necessarily directly correlate with numbers of cases it does look like schools are a problem - despite Govt figures stating as recently as yesterday that schools are safe - and I suspect will u-turn on that in 10 minutes time!

Attachments

• 1609789741939.png
    1609789741939.png
    52.9 KB · Views: 20
Just messaged an anaesthetist friend to see how he's coping. This is his reply (he's not a man of many words at the best of times):

"Proper ****ty - worse than first time.
Hope you're all ok"

Last edited:
Maybe I’ve missed it, but did Boris give a timeline? This has a feel of March/April about it, in that this could drag on for several months.

Maybe I’ve missed it, but did Boris give a timeline? This has a feel of March/April about it, in that this could drag on for several months.

If I got it right, he indicated mid Feb with a review as we go along. He indicated that he really didn't know because the strain is changing so much.

Reactions: GBJ
Sky news are saying differently. All elite sport to stop.

The guidance on gov.uk suggests elite sports can continue - as it exempts several business types if they are open to facilitate elite sports, Elite athletes are also exempt from ban on overnight stays away from home.

Meanwhile, we in the property market can remain open (with our doors closed, if you see what I mean) and continue to carry out valuations and property viewings........

And I am trying to decide if I should carry on and go for my scheduled breast screening appointment just after half 9 as I'm not going to be able to get through to anyone before I need to leave to check if they're still running!

Last edited:
The teachers are mugging it off again! Just setting work and leaving the kids to it. I don’t understand why they can’t do live lessons for every period. They don’t even have to go into school to do that. With Teams you can share powerpoints and talk through it. They had an inset day yesterday to prep everything. Even if they have key worker kids in the class they can do a live lesson with the kids on teams and those in the classroom which judging by what my kids are saying isn’t even a handful in each class.

Anyone else having the same issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back