• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

In defence of the Club Shop

OldBlueLady

Junior Blues Coordinator⭐⭐🦐
It's come to my attention via a comment from Chris Phillips on Twitter/X, that someone has posted some really derogatory comments about Liam who works in the Club shop on the Southend FB group (which I'm not a member of, as I found it way too toxic). Now, I've known Liam for a very long time, as I used to be a TA in his year group many years ago at junior school, his family sit right by us in the ground and I know that I've only EVER seen posts about him on social media that say how helpful he is.

Comment included this, which I found particularly distasteful: "I tried to buy three shirts at 5.47pm on Thursday. Not 5 mins earlier, a man had walked out clutching an away shirt. "We're closed in 'ere, mate," was the deadpan comment from the disinterested, bored looking, beardy-faced sloth."

I know for a fact that Liam has been in there till 9pm frequently since kit launch day, sorting kit for shelves, and filling orders for the online orders. Pretty sure the closing time was, officially, 5pm, and just maybe the bloke who walked out holding a shirt had bought that before queuing for tickets? Some people need to get over themselves and maybe have a little empathy for staff who have worked throughout the difficult times.

He's been really upset by this and even thought about handing his notice in.

I am so angry that a so called supporter has posted this comment.

Last edited:
It's come to my attention via a comment from Chris Phillips on Twitter/X, that someone has posted some really derogatory comments about Liam who works in the Club shop on the Southend FB group (which I'm not a member of, as I found it way too toxic). Now, I've known Liam for a very long time, as I used to be a TA in his year group many years ago at school, his family sit right by us in the ground and I know that I've only EVER seen posts about him on social media that say how helpful he is.

Comment included this, which I found particularly distasteful: "I tried to buy three shirts at 5.47pm on Thursday. Not 5 mins earlier, a man had walked out clutching an away shirt. "We're closed in 'ere, mate," was the deadpan comment from the disinterested, bored looking, beardy-faced sloth."

I know for a fact that Liam has been in there till 9pm frequently since kit launch day, sorting kit for shelves, and filling orders for the online orders. Pretty sure the closing time was, officially, 5pm, and just maybe the bloke who walked out holding a shirt had bought that before queuing for tickets? Some people need to get over themselves and maybe have a little empathy for staff who have worked throughout the difficult times.

If it's the FB group I think you're referring to, I also left it quite a while ago. Negative to the extreme by ill-informed knuckle draggers, toxic and vile.

I've only heard good things about Liam. I hope he learns to ignore such pathetic comments, ignores that group, and carries on doing what he's doing.

Liam just ignore these lowlife idiots we all know how hard you and your team work in the shop these ****s that hide behind their keyboard are not worth worrying about so on behalf of us supporters thank you all very much for what you do in the shop , especially under some very difficult last few months COYB

The guy deserves a medal as it would have been one of the toughest weeks work wise given the clamour for shirts.
From what I could work out he was manning the club shop phones, emails and walk ins.
I went in on Thursday to swap a shirt for a larger size and he couldn’t of been more helpful (a new delivery had just arrived and he spent time opening boxes there and then to find what I was after - he could easily have said no given how many boxes were there and that he was (seemingly) on his own.

The neanderthal who made these comments should be ashamed, although I am sure he/she will be loving the attention on FB.

Is Liam the tall guy who works in there? If so he has always been great and very friendly when I've seen him, also seen him at a couple of away games, I know aswell my dad has always found him friendly and polite, so ignore the one ar**hole comment and keep doing a good job

It's come to my attention via a comment from Chris Phillips on Twitter/X, that someone has posted some really derogatory comments about Liam who works in the Club shop on the Southend FB group (which I'm not a member of, as I found it way too toxic). Now, I've known Liam for a very long time, as I used to be a TA in his year group many years ago at school, his family sit right by us in the ground and I know that I've only EVER seen posts about him on social media that say how helpful he is.

Totally agree Kay, Liam is a great lad and works really hard.

If it's the FB group I think you're referring to, I also left it quite a while ago. Negative to the extreme by ill-informed knuckle draggers, toxic and vile.

... not being funny come off social media if it affects you, half these people haven't got the balls to say it face to face and that's why they use social media, FB is trash, never had it and never will.

Organisations like Farcebook make profits from allowing people to be unpleasant to others - in fact, it is arguable that the more unpleasant the content the better as it gets more reaction & more advertising revenue etcetera. And there is little to no moderation because ............. that costs money.

If we want Britain to be a better place then not supporting these organisations is, I would suggest, a good starting place.

Is Liam the tall guy who works in there? If so he has always been great and very friendly when I've seen him, also seen him at a couple of away games, I know aswell my dad has always found him friendly and polite, so ignore the one ar**hole comment and keep doing a good job
Yes, that's him.

I very rarely post on here but regularly check in to see what’s happening.
I went to the club shop at about 3.30 Thursday afternoon to buy a home shirt. I had to wait a few minutes because Liam had taken a few minutes for a late lunch break because he had been so busy. When he returned he couldn’t have been more helpful and went out to his way to find the size I needed.
Please don’t take any notice of prats on f***book Liam, you are doing a great job and I hope you continue do so. You are one of the many heroes we are lucky to have at our club.

I am so angry that a so called supporter has posted this commen
That’s crazy, he’s a very polite young man and always willing to help when I’ve had visits to the shop, carry on the great work Liam. UTB🦐

Liam’s a good lad. Spoke to him at the Chelmsford game & told him not to let it get to him.

It’s a shame that the person who has written these comments can’t do his job for a day, just so see how demanding it is, especially on his own.

As I said to Liam, I could never work in any form of retail sector because the general public are pricks.

How awful for the poor lad and it is nothing short of bullying.
Like most bullies they hide behind others or things and in this case their keyboard.
What an earth is wrong with people these days. Don’t they realise that sometimes comments like this can make or break people and no one knows what an individual is feeling and if they are not having a good day comments like this can turn a bad day into an awful day.
So NOT deserved in this case.

Liam, if you’re reading the comments on here (which are all positive about you) take no notice whatsoever.

And people say SZ is a cesspit! There is a reason we have moderators and that would stop any vile abuse like that aimed towards anyone.

I’ve had multiple dealings with Liam in the club shop, he has been nothing short of excellent every time. I think his general persona gives off that he isn’t interested but that couldn’t be any further from the truth. A great asset to the club and as Kay says he’s been through hell like others and deserves nothing more than respect for hanging around when if most of us on here companies did that we would be off.

I'm saddened to hear this OBL. Liam has been very helpful to me. I was unable to visit the shop when the new shirts went on sale as I was going away on holiday. Liam very kindly phoned me in the morning of the first day of sale and took my order, to put aside until I could pick it up. A very helpful lad who works extremely hard. I hope it was a misunderstanding and the person posting the comment reflects and reposts, accordingly. We can't afford to lose conscientious and helpful people such as Liam.

Back