• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Canvey Island 1 - 2 Southend United, Tuesday 16th July, pre-season friendly

Started off as left wing back and can confirm he does not have a left foot. The. Went over to right side when Gus went off and was slightly better. Think we can find a better option, especially if we are looking for someone to cover both wing back roles.
This is something that really frustrates me - how can a professional footballer not be capable of using both feet 😡

A couple of quick points from last night:

- GSM destroyed their full back.
- Coker looked sharp and creative.
- Cav controlled the midfield.
- Ralph is not a suitable wing back option. He simply doesn't have the pace or skill required.
- Walker made lots of runs behind and offers an outlet which is great to see.
- A couple of the youngsters did well and look like they have great potential however also looked raw which is completely expected.
- Was by far the best Canvey side we've played in recent years. Their squad looked on great shape and fitness wise they were at the same level as us! They didn't give us any time on the ball. It was a good test.

A couple of quick points from last night:

- GSM destroyed their full back.
- Coker looked sharp and creative.
- Cav controlled the midfield.
- Ralph is not a suitable wing back option. He simply doesn't have the pace or skill required.
- Walker made lots of runs behind and offers an outlet which is great to see.
- A couple of the youngsters did well and look like they have great potential however also looked raw which is completely expected.
- Was by far the best Canvey side we've played in recent years. Their squad looked on great shape and fitness wise they were at the same level as us! They didn't give us any time on the ball. It was a good test.
I didn’t manage to get there — this reads like good assessment of the game but even if he didn’t excel last night,you’re totally wrong about Ralph.

I didn’t manage to get there — this reads like good assessment of the game but even if he didn’t excel last night,you’re totally wrong about Ralph.
A modern wing back needs to be able to get past the full back and put in a good final ball. Thats just not part of Ralph's game. He's never been able to do that even when played there. He's a great defender at our level and that's where all his best games for us have come from.

I'm pretty sure he's only being used there to cover for pre season with Bridge out and until they sign another player capable of playing there which of course is absolutely fine in friendlies. It's the time to test things out.

Was a good game and an excellent work out.

Canvey will have a good season. We seemed to struggle a little when Canvey went long and over the top.

We passed the ball well and it was pleasing to see both strikers score. Walker looks pacey and direct and he picked the ball up immediately to take the pen.

Out of the youth. Young Faulkner looks promising. Tricky and good on the ball. Probably a little lightweight but we may see him in and around the first team this coming season.

We are still very short of options. 3 or 4 signings needed before we kick off.

Ralph is fine as LWB cover for Bridge; although I’d like one more player as well. Potentially someone who can cover both wing-back positions.

He has good acceleration to get past his marker and can deliver first-time crosses. However, he is nowhere near as creative as Bridge from these situations. The quality of his crosses into the penalty area aren’t as good. Bridge is possibly the most creative wide-left player in the whole division.

I’ve never really understood the shouts for Bridge to deliver crosses quicker. Sure, it can be frustrating to watch. But his output speaks for itself.

If he crosses quicker, perhaps the quality of his crosses won’t be as good. Perhaps we’d lose possession more often; have more defending to do; and would see Bridge defend deep more often, which doesn’t suit his game.

Ralph is fine as LWB cover for Bridge; although I’d like one more player as well. Potentially someone who can cover both wing-back positions.

He has good acceleration to get past his marker and can deliver first-time crosses. However, he is nowhere near as creative as Bridge from these situations. The quality of his crosses into the penalty area aren’t as good. Bridge is possibly the most creative wide-left player in the whole division.

I’ve never really understood the shouts for Bridge to deliver crosses quicker. Sure, it can be frustrating to watch. But his output speaks for itself.

If he crosses quicker, perhaps the quality of his crosses won’t be as good. Perhaps we’d lose possession more often; have more defending to do; and would see Bridge defend deep more often, which doesn’t suit his game.
Agree with all this other than Ralph is a better crosser than Bridge IMO.

Bridge, due to his ability to beat a man, just gets in a ridiculously high number of very good crossing positions so that sooner or later one will inevitably lead to a goal.

Back