• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best team performance from a Southend side I've seen for a long, long time. No one had a bad game.

Barry Corr looks to be a very good signing, he scuffed his goal a bit but he was in the right place to get the shot in. Gets back for corners and wins 80% of his defensive headers.

Mohsni and Grant were superb, Bilel will head anything and everything that comes his way and he's no hoof merchant with the ball at his feet. Grant has an incredible engine on him, the boy never stops. Great strike and a great goal.

Would love to be able to keep the two loanees aswell.

Morris 7

Clohessy 6
Barker 7
Mohsni 8
Gilbert 7

Easton 7
Grant 9
Simpson 8
Hall 7

Sturrock 7
Corr 8

With perhaps Sturrock ending up being replaced by Paterson, we might have found our best line up........

221 I think they said on the radio last night, fair play to them and they did come over very well listening in.

Just got back. Cracking win.

Even with 10 men we looked the more likely team to score. Bradford were as bad as we were on Saturday and looked utterly deflated by the end. Spud looks as if he's on borrowed time there.

... In midfield Granty was Granty and freed from the shackles of carrying McCormack was superb again. Good technique for his goal to keep it down as well.

We probably should have won more convincingly but unlike the forwards, the midfield and defence didn't take their chances.

Edited highlights from YB's post - I don't think Kay's seen this yet. :D

Peter Taylor in charge of them says it all!

I remember when he was in charge at the Hall when he systematically destroyed our team!

ha haa agreed thats exactly what my old man said to me!!! the man was a complete and utter abortion of a manager!! has been very lucky at one or two clubs but apart from that absolutely awful!!! Im sure pboooooreham will disagree and rather have taylor than tilly!!! or sturrock as it goes

ha haa agreed thats exactly what my old man said to me!!! the man was a complete and utter abortion of a manager!! has been very lucky at one or two clubs but apart from that absolutely awful!!! Im sure pboooooreham will disagree and rather have taylor than tilly!!! or sturrock as it goes

Nope, I said Taylor was unlucky to inherit a team that didnt want to play for him and I'd have Tilson and Sturrock over Taylor any day.

What a game.
Superb from the second i got on that coach. Great trip, with TrueBlue eating 4 pots of fruit going up there.
Just a note to the stewards of Bradford, thought they were fantastic, they let the big drum in, and they let us stand, makes a change.
Great game with 2 great goals. And we all love the new Blind Date song! :support: which i was awoken by scott playing that at 11am this morning :D
Also what fantastic noise we made, the drum helped but we was still superb.

Onwards and Upwards

Also saw Ron sitting at the services on way home with his son and his chauffeur, started speaking to him and he said that he is on the look out for a well known striker and he is willing to put his hand in his pocket, then he went to the cash point and into Bp garage :D

Not wishing to cause any arguments at all, but there must be a reason for Grant's vast improvement this season.

Because even though Easton isn't as mobile, he's working harder than Macca did last season. This has freed Grant up. Last season Grant did the dogsbody work, and Macca had a more free role... where he strolled around like a bear with a sore head and generally did sweet FA

Think also (as Sturrock said today), he sees another side to Grant perhaps than Tilly did - again, not causing a row as I thought Grant was a perfect defensive midfielder where Tilson played him mainly.

It has been evident from even Dartford I'd say, that Grant has had the shackles released. He got forward more in that friendly than I'd seen him before.

And Derby, in the first few minutes he span on a bobbling ball about 40 yards out and hit a volley (left footed IIRC) which I'd never have expected him to do before.

Sturrock says he 'has it in his locker' (to shoot) and doesnt do it enough, so perhaps its just a friendly word in his ear to get forward and have a go.

That said, on the radio Chris Phillips said he spoke to Easton a few times about his role and he prefers to be 'box to box' rather than playing the anchor role as he did in the first few games and since we've gone 4-4-2, Easton has popped up in the box a lot more like at Wolves.

If anyone else that went to the game yesterday and hasnt done ratings is able to then it would be a huge help for the index as only had a few of numerical ratings so far....do we really want to rely on pubey, ayshire and onion_bag to represent the whole of SZ's views!?

Morris 6
Clohessy 7
Gilbert 6.5
Barker 8.5
Bilel 8.5
Easton 7.5
Grant 8.5
Hall 7
Simpson 8
Sturrock 8
Corr 8

Subs
Paterson 7, Prosser 7, Soares 6

Why Morris 6?

What did he do to deserve more than a 6?

I can't remember him having to make a single save. Didn't look overly convincing coming for crosses when he flapped a bit and failed to clear the penalty area (it barely cleared the 6 yard box) with his punch. His kicking was weak, often missing Corr or Sturrock by 20 yards, but balanced out by his throwing out, which was once more excellent and very positive.

Think also (as Sturrock said today), he sees another side to Grant perhaps than Tilly did - again, not causing a row as I thought Grant was a perfect defensive midfielder where Tilson played him mainly.

It has been evident from even Dartford I'd say, that Grant has had the shackles released. He got forward more in that friendly than I'd seen him before.

And Derby, in the first few minutes he span on a bobbling ball about 40 yards out and hit a volley (left footed IIRC) which I'd never have expected him to do before.

Sturrock says he 'has it in his locker' (to shoot) and doesnt do it enough, so perhaps its just a friendly word in his ear to get forward and have a go.

That said, on the radio Chris Phillips said he spoke to Easton a few times about his role and he prefers to be 'box to box' rather than playing the anchor role as he did in the first few games and since we've gone 4-4-2, Easton has popped up in the box a lot more like at Wolves.

Think also that Grant was having to do an awful lot of covering for Moussa who was pretty poor defensively, coupled with helping out with the frequent faux pas that the defence frequently made explains why Grant was "shackled" so much last year. It was NOT solely down to being partnered alongside Macca.

Think also that Grant was having to do an awful lot of covering for Moussa who was pretty poor defensively, coupled with helping out with the frequent faux pas that the defence frequently made explains why Grant was "shackled" so much last year. It was NOT solely down to being partnered alongside Macca.

The main reason why grant has (apparently) improved is down to his CM partner. Last season grant sat back and the midfield was built around Maccas strengths at driving forward and getting in and around the box. However he didn't have the drive to do that last season (and if he wasn't getting paid that explains it, even if IMO it doesn't fully excuse it).

Easton generally sits back (although last night granty would allow Easton to push forward at times). Grant generally had a free role, and this played to his strengths, because he can shoot and can pass, he can also dribble which really infuriated the immobile Bradford midfielders.

The secondary reason, as you allude to, is that defensively we are more assured. Moshni likes to get tight and to step forward with the ball (a la Rio Ferdinand), and so having grant next to him is pointless... Let moshni play a forward ball to grant or Easton who are already 10 yards further up the pitch. Gilbert was exceptional last night, which was good because Hall hasn't got a defensive bone in his body. Moussa isn't a defender, but our left side was a weakness with young fullbacks generally so granty often got pulled across to help out.

Back