• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Couldnt make it up there tonight. First league game missed of the season.
Brilliant result and not only that - the manner in which they controlled a game that was on paper one of the toughest. Massive

A swallow doesnt make a summer, but that sure as hell makes up for saturdays debacle

That's a fantastic win. Any team that gets 3 points at Bradford will be over the moon. It also stops the winless streak in the league, and gives the whole club a big boost.

I hadn't been to any of our three victories since we beat Orient in December so tonight was 19th time lucky for me but it was worth the wait. Everything clicked and 2-0 really didn't tell the story of how dominant we looked tonight. I'm surprised the stats on the OS were so even, the only time I remember Morris being worried was the lob early in the second half which landed on top of the net. Grant absolutely bossed midfield.

I'm still really not convinced by Sturrock and Corr starting up front together- they're far too similar. I'd rather see Spencer or Paterson partnering Corr to give a bit of pace to the attack.

I am getting a bit of deja vu here. Going to Bradford one evening in August, winning 2-0 and leaving with the feeling that actually, this season might turn out alright. Anyone else?

I am getting a bit of deja vu here. Going to Bradford one evening in August, winning 2-0 and leaving with the feeling that actually, this season might turn out alright. Anyone else?

I remember that game well. I was stuck in traffic on motorway up. We did the hard shoulder for about 10 miles upsetting the whole world, but got to game just on time.
Gower scored I think, and Bradford player harshly sent off. Happy days and start of great season

think Guttridge might have scored as well

Just got back. Cracking win.

Even with 10 men we looked the more likely team to score. Bradford were as bad as we were on Saturday and looked utterly deflated by the end. Spud looks as if he's on borrowed time there.

Bilel was immense at the back, getting his head onto everything in the first half. If he could shoot, he'd be our top-scorer. Barker alongside him was every bit as impressive with his positioning and reading of the game and looked like a different player from the one who was so abysmal against Port Vale. In midfield Granty was Granty and freed from the shackles of carrying McCormack was superb again. Good technique for his goal to keep it down as well. His best moment though was when he found himself in ten yards' of space, yet still managed to win a free-kick by just standing and waiting for the foul to come. Absolute legend. And up front our front pairing of Sturrock and Corr were magnificent, combining effort and intelligence. Sturrock is the one who makes us tick with his close control enabling him to take five, six, seven touches even when opponents are all over him, to allow the support players to get forward into position. He continually got into great positions, just playing in the hole between the defence and the midfield, which Bradford just couldn't deal with. It enabled us to almost play 4-3-3, with him dropping to an inside right position and Ryan Hall pushing on in the left as an alternative from our 4-4-2 base, with Simpson able to play central midfield as well.

Ryan Hall looked pacy and tricky but didn't once get past Lewis Hunt. He won't often come up against full-backs of the class of Hunt though, so we should see more from him in future. On the other flank, Simpson continues to look better every time I see him. We must sign him permanently, playing on the right of midfield he adds a touch of both class and solidity to the midfield. He's rapidly becoming one of my favourite players.

Thought Sturrock used his subs very well. Was particularly impressed by his use of Prosser on the left-wing.

We probably should have won more convincingly but unlike the forwards, the midfield and defence didn't take their chances.

My hands have blisters from drumming like a mad man also......

Da da da dadada ......blind date!!!

Just got through the door!

Wow, what a match. Superb performance and a well deserved win. It was the first time I'd seen the 'new' team and they were very impressive. However on the flip side I thought Bradford were very poor.

Ratings:

Morris - 7, Didn't have too much to do, was generally comfortable in the air. Looks a reasonable League 2 keeper.

Clohessy - 5, I thought he looked pretty solid, and was happy to support in attack, however the yellow cards were silly and the ref had little option but to send him off

Barker - 7, I thought he looked a solid defender. I wouldn't have know he was a full-back by trade. Seemed happy to left Moshni step up and get tight and he was generally in the right place at the right time.

Moshni - 8, Very impressive. Arguably our best defender and attacker. He'll be a very very good player in a couple of years, we have to enjoy him while we can!! Fantastic

Gilbert - 7.5, Quietly impressive,very good distribution.

Simpson - 6.5, Thought he ran well and gave their LB a torrid time (I think he got subbed at half time!). Had a quiet 2nd half and shifted to RB after Clohessy got sent off.

Grant - 9. MOTM. Grant at his absolute best, he got better through the game. Bradford couldn't get within 5 yards of him and resorted to hacking him down. Took his goal really well.

Easton - 8. Ran the show in the middle of the park with Granty

Hall - 6.5. Thought he was fairly quiet, and Lewis Hunt did a reasonable job marking him. His FK's are dangerous.

Sturrock - 6. Not too sure what he added to the front line to be honest, he won little in the air and contributed little in the build up play. He played quite deep and left Corr a bit isolated.

Corr - 8. Wins headers that he doesn't really have a right to win, and ran the channels well. Shanked his goal a bit but I thought he was excellent tonight.

Sturrock - 10. Got the players fired up and has obviously got them working hard in training as they look fit and sharp and they really played as a team. The midfield especially linked up well and moved the ball around with purpose, the defending was organised.

Fans - 10. Loved it, about 250 made trip up and were in good voice.

Posted at 11:40, so 2 hours back from Bradford, do you have a Bugatti Veyron?

First game of the season for Stockport Shrimpers and we really did not know what to expect and to be honest we were not expecting much at all. How wrong we were....very impressed with the performance. In fact it is a long time since I have seen a Southend side work so hard for each other, plenty of talking and encouragement amongst the players. Every single one of the them never stopped running and constantly hounded the Bradford players with the ball. Thought Corr and Sturrock worked the Bradford back line very well not allowing them time on the ball. Grant was the best player on the pitch by a country mile - showboating at times. At the final whistle you could really see the squad had started to bond by the way the players responded in front of the fans. All in all a very good and enjoyable trip - well done to everyone who made the long journey, we only had a 50 min drive. PS - Bilel is a legend - the man threw himself at anything and everything - no nonense and just what you need in L2.

That must have been one of the most one-sided & easy away wins I've seen in a long time! A VERY impressive performance, especially by Grant & Mohsni. If we had a Barny or Eastwood upfront, we would have won by about 6 or 7. Its not a complaint as PS knows we lack a quality striker, so hopefully when we get one, we will do even better!

UTB

Peter Taylor in charge of them says it all!

I remember when he was in charge at the Hall when he systematically destroyed our team!

Peter Taylor in charge of them says it all!

I remember when he was in charge at the Hall when he systematically destroyed our team!

He's had decent success elsewhere (as well as abject failures!) but his time with us isn't a fair reflection as he inherited a team that just did not want to be here after fry left and most were being tapped up for work elsewhere.

Shame, as that side was awesome as well :( I'm still convinced if fry had stayed we would have made it to the premier league, how mad would that have been?! Birmingham are a big club, but I wonder if he regrets that decision, choice of taking a tiny club into the prem would have got him much more acclaim nationally than trying to wake up Birmingham I feel...

Just got up after getting in late last night. We were brilliant. Things looking a bit more positive now. Great atmosphere and a great goal from our main man Grant.

UTB!

He's had decent success elsewhere (as well as abject failures!) but his time with us isn't a fair reflection as he inherited a team that just did not want to be here after fry left and most were being tapped up for work elsewhere.

Shame, as that side was awesome as well :( I'm still convinced if fry had stayed we would have made it to the premier league, how mad would that have been?! Birmingham are a big club, but I wonder if he regrets that decision, choice of taking a tiny club into the prem would have got him much more acclaim nationally than trying to wake up Birmingham I feel...

Yes I think we would have made the Premier if Fry stayed, and if I were he I would regret leaving Southend.

Had he stayed he would of been into a 'no lose' situation, also regarded as hero status!

Morris - 7
Clohessy - 7
Barker - 8
Moshni - 8
Gilbert - 8
Simpson - 9
Grant - 9
Easton - 7
Hall - 7
Sturrock - 7
Corr - 8

All of them ran themselves into the ground.
Corr could almost not stand up by the end.
Every single one of them played with passion.
Morris, didn't really have much to do, but kept a clean sheet, nothing more he could have done.
Gilbert made no mistakes really, good going forward got booked for tackling, which you aren't allowed to do now...
Barker solid, class, brilliant.
Moshni, amazing. Most things he does are perfect, but if it isn't perfect it is pretty bad. As PS says once the rough edges are smoothed over he'll be incredible.
Clohessy, good crossing, read the game well, good interceptions and got forward well. Very unlucky to get sent off. Much much much better.
Simpson my man of the match, could have scored a couple, but he really is good. Great stamina.
Easton, very simple and good passing. So comfortable on the ball. He is one of those players that aren't noticed because everything he does is steady, one of the best players I've seen. Big fan of his.
Ryan Hall, beat his man, good skills very quick and always looks to get the ball in probably the only proper winger we've had since Mark Gower.
Blair Sturrock, he was class in some places, again a brilliant footballing brain and very very good touch. Although in some places he lost it a bit, and made a few bad touches other than that, did what he does best.
Barry Corr, excellent, ran himself into the ground, scored, can't do much else.

Granty, entertainer, magician, best player in the league. Quality.

Didn't see enough of the subs when they came on, did nothing wrong though.

So, playing with two target men does work if your midfield are good. Feel sorry for Patterson and Spencer but to be honest the two top men where definitely worth their place.

Good passing football and it was easy at times down the right wing with Blair and Clohessy passing about 4 times before getting a cross in, I think their left back was subbed at half time...
Long ball when we needed to but also sometimes when we didn't need to which frustrated me a bit.
Does anyone know why Spencer was not on the bench?

2 - 0 away win, fantastic.
Play like that, we will win the league!

Back