• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Blues boss Maher stresses need for new signings

Agree, but still hold to my arguement.
Totally agree. If I read an Echo post on here, I make sure I'm within my 'trial' period with them (ie no adverts).

SOUTHEND United boss Kevin Maher knows he must bolster his squad to help the Shrimpers shine this season.

The Blues boss signed goalkeeper James Hillson on non-contract terms ahead of Saturday’s National League opener against York City at Roots Hall.

But Maher is still working on bringing in more new signings

“We need three or four bodies in to get real competition for places in the squad,” said Maher.

“You see what they’re bringing off the bench and they have three or four in the stands as well.

“We don’t have that right now but we’re working on it and we’ll build momentum as we go.

“We’re trying, it’s not always easy but everyone is working hard to make things happen.”

Maher is keen to bring in another midfielder and a striker.

Steady Kev Steady, that with Wing and Hilson adds up to the 6 I suggested we needed

SOUTHEND United boss Kevin Maher knows he must bolster his squad to help the Shrimpers shine this season.

The Blues boss signed goalkeeper James Hillson on non-contract terms ahead of Saturday’s National League opener against York City at Roots Hall.

But Maher is still working on bringing in more new signings

“We need three or four bodies in to get real competition for places in the squad,” said Maher.

“You see what they’re bringing off the bench and they have three or four in the stands as well.

“We don’t have that right now but we’re working on it and we’ll build momentum as we go.

“We’re trying, it’s not always easy but everyone is working hard to make things happen.”

Maher is keen to bring in another midfielder and a striker.

Steady Kev Steady, that with Wing and Hilson adds up to the 6 I suggested we needed
He’s been saying this since the canvey game

He’s been saying this since the canvey game
I’m afraid he is so similar to Southgate in that he doesn’t get the best out of the players he has to work with. So much for John Still’s scouting and we still play the most unadventurous football in the League.
Saturday was no different to last year where we were the poor footballing team and this is us on a high club wise.
Do we really want to play catch up again because from what I see there is still no supply line, the midfielders are all the same and we have no players on the bench to change it up front?
Keep saying it, terrible League on paper but at the moment, we are one of those without a plan to score goals….!
Why get rid of Wes for a start, the only bloke that made Jack Bridge buzz?….hope he has got some attacking players in mind and quick, otherwise the loyal fans will be getting frustrated pretty quick with the same old boring stuff.

I’m afraid he is so similar to Southgate in that he doesn’t get the best out of the players he has to work with. So much for John Still’s scouting and we still play the most unadventurous football in the League.
Saturday was no different to last year where we were the poor footballing team and this is us on a high club wise.
Do we really want to play catch up again because from what I see there is still no supply line, the midfielders are all the same and we have no players on the bench to change it up front?
Keep saying it, terrible League on paper but at the moment, we are one of those without a plan to score goals….!
Why get rid of Wes for a start, the only bloke that made Jack Bridge buzz?….hope he has got some attacking players in mind and quick, otherwise the loyal fans will be getting frustrated pretty quick with the same old boring stuff.
Totally agree I’m pleased someone else has the same thoughts as me because it seems like your opinion on this forum gets cut out if certain people don’t agree… players needed now imo 👍🏻

That's appropriate - now where's that ignore button?
Why ignore it? He`s saying it how it is, let`s play a more attack minded style of football. We`ve been crying out for a creative, forward thinking midfielder for quite a while now. We need to be that team in the division that have a go and are more attack minded than defensive, with what we`ve got defence wise we are pretty solid, going forward and creating for the talented forwards that we have is lacking, IMHO. I hated Southgate`s style of play, sideways, backwards. Also I would like to see, when we go 1-0 up, to carry on and go for the jugular with teams, not then seem to sit back and hope that we get across the line.

I am glad that we have a club and know the management and the consortium are doing their best, and hats of to them, but we need to start getting a bit more ruthless in our style of play, let`s get these more creative players in and put these teams to the sword.

Up the Blues :LoyalSupporter: :Happy: 👍

It’s a forum, what is your great opinion on the fantastic exiting play on the pitch, everything on here is turning into no opinions allowed!
It’s refreshing to hear different opinions it’s seems on this forum that if you don’t have the same thoughts as a few your wrong and that’s it keep voicing what u think

Just watched the replay, Ashley Nathaniel-George looked a world beater, just what we need!

Why ignore it? He`s saying it how it is, let`s play a more attack minded style of football. We`ve been crying out for a creative, forward thinking midfielder for quite a while now. We need to be that team in the division that have a go and are more attack minded than defensive, with what we`ve got defence wise we are pretty solid, going forward and creating for the talented forwards that we have is lacking, IMHO. I hated Southgate`s style of play, sideways, backwards. Also I would like to see, when we go 1-0 up, to carry on and go for the jugular with teams, not then seem to sit back and hope that we get across the line.

I am glad that we have a club and know the management and the consortium are doing their best, and hats of to them, but we need to start getting a bit more ruthless in our style of play, let`s get these more creative players in and put these teams to the sword.

It's almost like the management team don't know this and aren't actively looking for the type of player you say we need. Trouble is, getting one who won't demand silly money and is also available and with the right character, when we've already missed targets thanks to the embargo.

We could always go back to the days of signing Ridgewell, Blackman, Kiernan etc. .. they'd fight for the badge.

To compare Maher to Southgate and say it's all negative, well .. that's not how we want to play and neither how we did play last season when it all came together (Oldham, Chesterfield, Solihull etc .. where funny enough I don't remember hearing 'forrrrrwarrrds' yelled every 2 mins...). Saturday as far as I saw there was hardly any backwards and sideways, more hoofing it towards Cards/Walker.. so 'saying it how it is' is down to individual interpretation and I swear sometimes we all watch different games.

I must watch a different southend side. I hated Southgate’s football love km football most times . First 30 mins on the front foot attacking pressing high exceptional. Then the bigger squad and fitness told noting to do with tactics . Km made lots changes didn’t have depth

It's almost like the management team don't know this and aren't actively looking for the type of player you say we need. Trouble is, getting one who won't demand silly money and is also available and with the right character, when we've already missed targets thanks to the embargo.

We could always go back to the days of signing Ridgewell, Blackman, Kiernan etc. .. they'd fight for the badge.

To compare Maher to Southgate and say it's all negative, well .. that's not how we want to play and neither how we did play last season when it all came together (Oldham, Chesterfield, Solihull etc .. where funny enough I don't remember hearing 'forrrrrwarrrds' yelled every 2 mins...). Saturday as far as I saw there was hardly any backwards and sideways, more hoofing it towards Cards/Walker.. so 'saying it how it is' is down to individual interpretation and I swear sometimes we all watch different games.
Just read yours bang on wasn’t sideways or backwards as you say maybe a bit to much hoof at times .

Because it/he/they is like a broken record.

We are so fortunate to have our new Ownership and our Management Team in place, yet all we hear are moans - it's never changed over many seasons and is so boring.

I am all for different opinions and often agree with them but I am chosing my option to not have to listen to this poster as I am sure some posters do with me.

That's appropriate - now where's that ignore button?
I have Wiggy on ignore, however I did look at the ignored content to see who and what was said; and although I disagree witht the style of his critical comments, (way too personal/rude ), he, Wiggy, does have it mainly correct in our midfielders being very same and defensive; and I also did want Wes to stay as him , Bridge and Ralph had an understanding WHEN we were playing towards the South and Kev and Darren kept barking and demanding them to go forward. I am not sure where the problem lies but most likely it is a combination of the players being unsure, lack of confidence, fear of mistake and insufficient training emphasis on getting forward as a unit with speed.
And truth is a few errors by these same players, especially if it leds to a goal against us, can really be long remembered and regurgitated, by too many. No surprise they play it safe?

It’s a forum, what is your great opinion on the fantastic exiting play on the pitch, everything on here is turning into no opinions allowed!
I don’t disagree Wiggy except to say that if KM had the appropriate tools in terms of player selection then that’s the time to criticise negative tactics.

He’s tried Bridge in that role but to me (from afar) it highlights one of the gaps we have in the squad.

Kevs preffered scoreline would always be a 1-0 win. 3 points and a clean sheet.

Sometimes you get a couple more and others you end up losing or drawing whilst holding out for a win (Saturday)

I'd love us to be far more gung ho ala Chesterfield and Wrexham but they had far more considerable fire power than us to be able to play that way.

What worried me about Saturday the most was the amount of possession york had. Must have been 60%+. That's not good enough.

We do need signings in and quickly

Back