• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Bishop's Stortford 0 - 2 Southend United, Saturday 20th July

Shrimpergonzo

Nanu, Nanu⭐🦐
Staff member
So it's two wins from two pre-season friendlies so far and Saturday sees our third away game as we journey over the border to Hertfordshire to take on Bishop's Stortford FC at Woodside Park. Steve Castle's side play in the Southern League Premier Central Division and have also played two pre-season games so far, winning 4-1 at Heybridge Swifts and losing 1-0 to our opponents from Tuesday night, Canvey Island.

Tuesday's game saw all our fit players get some minutes, including James Morton who has obviously recovered from his knock, although the continuing absence of Collin, Jack Bridge and Danny Waldron must give some concern that they are now falling behind in their preparations, as is obviously Noor Husin who is a more long term injury victim following his operation.

Tuesday saw youth team keeper Charlie Brown play the full 90 minutes due to the departure of trialist Sam Hornby who is pursuing other options. If Collin remains an injury doubt then one would hope another trialist keeper (or two) will be through the doors for Saturday.

Former Southampton wing back Zuriel Otseh-Taiwo has featured as a trialist in both games so far and it will be interesting to see if he makes a hat-trick of appearances which might indicate him inching closer to signing permanently for us.

It's a 1.00pm kick off on Saturday, so don't be late!

IMG_C1C606E7D6F9-1.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my favourite grounds - chips and a beer in the stand and the planes taking off and landing nearby!

It will be interesting to see if theres any new trialist, still think we need another striker, midfield /playmaker and GK and a player that can play both RWB/ LWB competently.

For anyone travelling by train, it's quite a walk from the station as it's right out by the A120/M11 junction. Half hour at least.

Think there will be a few extra in attendance
After the good news ,should be asking how many does their ground hold ,surely supporters will turn up in the droves to celebrate , im sure they will at SUFCs first league home game or even friendly at home. Got to show your support to the consortium ,show them your gratitude and thanks. they have done there bit saved the club ,now its for the residents of Southend and neighbouring boroughs to show them your support . Not just the normal die hards but the supporters that sit on the fence , fill RH ,Hopng as thanks COSU will offer the Councillors and out going ones who have worked hard to get this done plus Anna Firth a private box or whatever its called to celebrate along with the fans as a way of saying thankyou .

Last edited:
After the good news ,should be asking how many does their ground hold ,surely supporters will turn up in the droves to celebrate , im sure they will at SUFCs first league home game or even friendly at home. Got to show your support to the consortium ,show them your gratitude and thanks. they have done there bit saved the club ,now its for the residents of Southend and neighbouring boroughs to show them your support . Not just the normal die hards but the supporters that sit on the fence , fill RH ,Hopng as thanks COSU will offer the Councillors and out going ones who have worked hard to get this done plus Anna Firth a private box or whatever its called to celebrate along with the fans as a way of saying thankyou .
It'll be fine, I'd be surprised if the overall gate got near 2,500.

As a Southend fan who lives near Bishop's Stortford, for those who've never been before, just to advise there is nowhere at all to drink around the ground (except in the ground itself) unless you fancy a long walk.

Will our new kits get their public outing and be put on sale after?

When renewing our season tickets yesterday afternoon I was in the first ten to do so I was told, I popped into club shop to enquire about shirts and was told they ‘hope’ to have some available to sell by Friday.

Played cricket there but never been to a football game.

Just checking if I have access to the car today and if not I’m already lining up the next fixtures!

Back