• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Away Kit History

Mr. Benedict

The Devious Badger
I was having an argument with my Col Ewe supporting colleague at work today about who had the most foul away kits. I wanted to provide some examples of ours and I know there's a site out there somewhere with our kit history (both home and away) on it but I can't remember what site it is.

Is there anyone out there who can enlighten me on this one?

Think Col U win with this one personally

url]

Yep, that's a clear winner at the moment! :D

I'm liking that site. Bookmarked! :)

Cheers, can't remember the one I was originally on about though.
Seem to remember Napster coming up with a link in the past when a similar question cropped up.

The Col U red/black quarter shirt of the mid 90s was a bit rank too, although (as I mentioned elsewhere last week) how awful were our shirts of 02/03 (the cheap & nasty shiny adidas imitations? The sky blue away was slightly nicer than the sheer vileness of the shiny navy home one though!

Does anyone else remember the mainly white progressive away shirt 98/99 . IIRC we wore it away at Peterborough early in the season and never saw it again

Cheers, can't remember the one I was originally on about though.
Seem to remember Napster coming up with a link in the past when a similar question cropped up.

The Col U red/black quarter shirt of the mid 90s was a bit rank too, although (as I mentioned elsewhere last week) how awful were our shirts of 02/03 (the cheap & nasty shiny adidas imitations? The sky blue away was slightly nicer than the sheer vileness of the shiny navy home one though!

Didn't they do a red 'third' kit of it as well, which was also rank? You can't beat the home version of the SHO kit for sheer awfulness though!

Does anyone else remember the mainly white progressive away shirt 98/99 . IIRC we wore it away at Peterborough early in the season and never saw it again

Was that a white version of the home kit with a blue and black swirl down the side.....if so I loved that kit. Barely saw us use it in a game but saw someone wearing it down the seafront when I worked at Pans and thought it was a class shirt.

Was that a white version of the home kit with a blue and black swirl down the side.....if so I loved that kit. Barely saw us use it in a game but saw someone wearing it down the seafront when I worked at Pans and thought it was a class shirt.

In those days I hardly ever went to away games so I don't remember us wearing one like that. I do remember the orangey-red version though...

Yes, think we wore it at Brighton (well Gillingham really) too in early September. I liked it, but IIRC don't think it was ever available in the club shop though.

Before people say, this is not the white one from the season before (Olympic/Telewest) with the SUFC badge running through the fabric (which I can only really remember us wearing at Watford with the home shorts/socks)!

Wasn't it more of a grey/red swirl on the white shirt?

Try this for starters, I know the one I'm thinking of but it's more animated (although fairly accurately) than photos like this!

Great site. That page should be used as evidence against anyone arguing against us having Nike Kits. The style has improved greatly since having a 'proper' brand.

Didn't they do a red 'third' kit of it as well, which was also rank? You can't beat the home version of the SHO kit for sheer awfulness though!

Yes, the red one was the best of the 3, as it didn't try & con people it was made by adidas and seemed to be less shiny than the others! We wore that up at Carlisle (Tilly's last ever game for Southend?)

Great site. That page should be used as evidence against anyone arguing against us having Nike Kits. The style has improved greatly since having a 'proper' brand.

But everybody's wearing better kits these days though. You need to bear that in mind, I mean look at that MK Dons game the other day, Nike (MK) v Umbro (Lincoln).

Bigger manufacturers are wanting to publicise they do "teamwear" ranges so therefore they take on smaller clubs. The days of such abominations as Rossco and SHO are long gone (hopefully)!!!

In fact, in 442 last month, they had a line-up of all their featured Football League players for this season and you would be very hard pushed to find a dodgy kit (taking 1995 as the peak of awful shirts). Walsall probably have got the worst kit in our league just now, I'd say!

Last edited:
But everybody's wearing better kits these days though. You need to bear that in mind, I mean look at that MK Dons game the other day (Nike (MK) v Lincoln (Umbro).

Bigger manufacturers are wanting to publicise they do "teamwear" ranges so therefore they take on smaller clubs. The days of such abominations as Rossco and SHO are long gone (hopefully)!!!

In fact, in 442 last month, they had a line-up of all their featured Football League players for this season and you would be very hard pushed to find a dodgy kit (taking 1995 as the peak of awful shirts). Walsall probably have got the worst kit in our league just now, I'd say!

Indeed - most kits now look very smart. The days of the dodgy kit you can snigger at has been consigned to history and the non-league scene...

But everybody's wearing better kits these days though. You need to bear that in mind, I mean look at that MK Dons game the other day, Nike (MK) v Umbro (Lincoln).

Yeah, which is why I find it hard to understand why people want to have a smaller manufacturer to give our kit unique-ness.....for me it would only likely bring naffness

Back