• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Id say going to Portsmouth would be far more ambitious.

Chesterfield are at their natural peak, but with Portsmouth a manager has a chance to wake the proverbial sleeping giant.

I wouldnt begrudge anyone leaving a small club to go there.

And we all know how the usually works out.

IMO, given the situation at hand, the most ambitious manager would stay at the highest level possible, prove themselves with a "smaller" club and then wait for the offers to come in from a bigger club. If he goes down a level chairman around the country won't know if he can handle a higher level. They may even question whether or not he believes he can manage at a higher level.

And we all know how the usually works out.

IMO, given the situation at hand, the most ambitious manager would stay at the highest level possible, prove themselves with a "smaller" club and then wait for the offers to come in from a bigger club. If he goes down a level chairman around the country won't know if he can handle a higher level. They may even question whether or not he believes he can manage at a higher level.

Alternatively he does what Tilson did, stay with the small club get to a level it would require miracles to not get relegated then have a relegation on his record, purely for getting a club to a level higher than they should be.

Alternatively he does what Tilson did, stay with the small club get to a level it would require miracles to not get relegated then have a relegation on his record, purely for getting a club to a level higher than they should be.

Tilson only did that because he was too loyal to Southend. He did exactly what I suggested until he didn't talk to Norwich when they were interested.

Nothing's changed on that front. Same manager, same philosophies, same selection policies, same approach to substitutions. The only thing that HAS changed is the knee-jerk reactions questioning the manager's competence since results have continued to go our way. Funny that few are castigating him today for bringing Weston on in the last game when they were so adamant that such a "stupid substitution didn't work!" in previous ones when we've surrendered our slim 1-0 lead. Can't have it both ways.

I agree in principle but the odd substitutions that were way out there have ceased recently. I've no real problem with Weston coming on for instance, he may not have an end product but he can chase and hold the ball. We have ground out 5 1-0 wins out of the last 6 games but in those games we have attacked so much more than the few months before so I think the philosophy of scoring and holding on has evolved

I agree in principle but the odd substitutions that were way out there have ceased recently. I've no real problem with Weston coming on for instance, he may not have an end product but he can chase and hold the ball. We have ground out 5 1-0 wins out of the last 6 games but in those games we have attacked so much more than the few months before so I think the philosophy of scoring and holding on has evolved

I think susbtitutions have been better recently, there were some earlier in the season that didnt make a lot of sense, but even Brown said he made mistakes at times.

With the philosophy I think the thing that has changed has purely been the change in confidence and self belief, and the necessity to get the points.

Earlier in the season we seemed so fragile it wasnt a surprise that we seemed to be holding on, but in a run of results like we have had that seems to have evaporated. To be honest Ive not really seen a lot of evidence we are any more attacking now than before, we werent exactly attacking Luton or Bury, we were the better team against Luton, but didnt create a lot. Newport is the only game I really felt we were better.

I guess those who kept pointing to the Sturrock 83 point season have lost that to cling on to now as PB has even surpassed that....

I guess those who kept pointing to the Sturrock 83 point season have lost that to cling on to now as PB has even surpassed that....

People who point to that season do so because it was a great achievement and I am sure also now recognise this season has been another.

Both are very good performances, no matter what the outcome.

Sturrock's haul of points was not only superb but unlucky too.
Phil has indeed surpassed that total which again is superb and hushed his doubters including myself.

Sir Philip of the Hall.

Sturrock's haul of points was not only superb but unlucky too.
Phil has indeed surpassed that total which again is superb and hushed his doubters including myself.

Sir Philip of the Hall.

I have to admit, I like the fact that you're prepared to admit you were wrong. I personally thought your negative views of him were way off the mark. Some of what you said was legitimate (let's face it, no-one's perfect), but most of it wasn't.

That said, I also think your praise of him is also OTT, after all we haven't won anything yet, and still may not. Not everything is a boolean, there is a middle ground.

I have to admit, I like the fact that you're prepared to admit you were wrong. I personally thought your negative views of him were way off the mark. Some of what you said was legitimate (let's face it, no-one's perfect), but most of it wasn't.

That said, I also think your praise of him is also OTT, after all we haven't won anything yet, and still may not. Not everything is a boolean, there is a middle ground.

Maybe LB,

7 straight wins and not conceded in over 12 hours of football is amazing .

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back