• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

i do worry that if we don't go up the attacking mentality might not be repeated again next season.
if, however, we do go up i think we might be better suited to L1 as more teams will go for us rather than parking the bus

Hope I don't sound like I'm gushing or anything but if Barrett decides to call it a day then I hope he becomes part of the coaching staff. The club should put him through his coaching badges as I believe that in the near future it will be in our clubs best interest. He will bring nothing but good to the club IMO.

Totally agree.

I think OBL is right. Portsmouth have been rebuffed in their initial attempt to talk to Paul Cook, but Cook is extremely ambitious and he might consider the option of resigning from Chesterfield in order to take the Portsmouth job.

How does that work when Portsmouth are stuck in League 2 and Chesterfield are currently in a League 1 play off position?

How does that work when Portsmouth are stuck in League 2 and Chesterfield are currently in a League 1 play off position?

Portsmouth can offer the right man sustained championship level or higher backed by big crowds.The new man will have a decent budget with a nice salary for himself,crowds of 15,000 pushing to 20,000 will offer the incentive too.

Promote ok give him a 3 year deal. Fail in play offs 12 month with lucrative promotion and renewal clauses. Don't flame Mrs Blue. I too have changed my views. Ask yourself where Yorkshire Blue is now. Ask again whether the posting behaviour is designed to cover up the fact that YB and Wiggy are the same person, and of the female persuasion. Come on Yorkie, defend the indefensible. Phil and the squad have amazed us all.

The fact that he can leave Prosser out for weeks. Throw him on the bench and into the game without blinking. The fact that he can sub a sub as a tactical move. The fact that he can all this, find time to run, do the media and keep his tan up is impressive stuff.

I'm also not a big fan of RM but he should be given enormous credit for getting us into this position. He has EVERY right to celebrate on the pitch next week if we go up.
You mean when not if :smile:

Whilst I'm not due to eat humble pie because I wasn't amongst those calling for PB's head.................well, only if he failed to get us promoted this season.:smile: I'm completely gobsmacked about what he and the team have achieved this April.
Let's go back to where this all began.............surely that dismal Wednesday March night, in Burton. We managed somehow, embarrassingly, to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, after going in to the second-half leading 0-1 and facing ten men. I don't know what was said after that debacle but my God it worked and incredibibly we haven't conceded a goal since! It was as if the Cambridge game was one for reflection, before going on an almost unbelievable run of seven victories in 22 days! You have to really reflect upon those figures to realise the enormity of the task.......and not a goal conceded, to boot!!!
So, even though I don't warm to Phil Brown as I did to Steve Tilson and Paul Sturrock, I'll take his sometimes, somewhat strange team selections and his even stranger substitutions, if he can get us out of this crap division.....and keep us out. Due to his recent exceptional feat, I surprise myself by writing that I would have less objection to him having a new contract even if it does, in the end, all go pear-shaped. Yet, let's not even think of that! Saturday evening, that new contract, which had mysteriously gone missing, will suddenly come to light in Morecambe, of all places......and Phil will sign on the dotted line. That's how all fairy tales end, isn't it? :smile:

Portsmouth can offer the right man sustained championship level or higher backed by big crowds.The new man will have a decent budget with a nice salary for himself,crowds of 15,000 pushing to 20,000 will offer the incentive too.

Maybe. Apart from that being yet to be proved, it is unlikely one manager will be in charge all tbe way up.

Moreover, surely it would show more ambition to stay with Chesterfield, prove himself at that level, and then move on to a club higher up rather than move down at least one division.

Whilst I'm not due to eat humble pie because I wasn't amongst those calling for PB's head.................well, only if he failed to get us promoted this season.:smile: I'm completely gobsmacked about what he and the team have achieved this April.
Let's go back to where this all began.............surely that dismal Wednesday March night, in Burton. We managed somehow, embarrassingly, to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, after going in to the second-half leading 0-1 and facing ten men. I don't know what was said after that debacle but my God it worked and incredibibly we haven't conceded a goal since! It was as if the Cambridge game was one for reflection, before going on an almost unbelievable run of seven victories in 22 days! You have to really reflect upon those figures to realise the enormity of the task.......and not a goal conceded, to boot!!!
So, even though I don't warm to Phil Brown as I did to Steve Tilson and Paul Sturrock, I'll take his sometimes, somewhat strange team selections and his even stranger substitutions, if he can get us out of this crap division.....and keep us out. Due to his recent exceptional feat, I surprise myself by writing that I would have less objection to him having a new contract even if it does, in the end, all go pear-shaped. Yet, let's not even think of that! Saturday evening, that new contract, which had mysteriously gone missing, will suddenly come to light in Morecambe, of all places......and Phil will sign on the dotted line. That's how all fairy tales end, isn't it? :smile:

Its an incredible turn around.

We went from a 10 game run getting 3 wins and watching ourselves slide down the form table, to not only going on an amazing run of wins but to do so without conceding a single goal.

We have had 5 one nil wins in the last 6 games, we just need one more of those clean sheets and one more goal to confirm our promotion.

I'm far more nervous now we are in the top 3 than I have been at any stage, and its only Monday!!!! Going to be a long week.

Maybe. Apart from that being yet to be proved, it is unlikely one manager will be in charge all tbe way up.

Moreover, surely it would show more ambition to stay with Chesterfield, prove himself at that level, and then move on to a club higher up rather than move down at least one division.

Id say going to Portsmouth would be far more ambitious.

Chesterfield are at their natural peak, but with Portsmouth a manager has a chance to wake the proverbial sleeping giant.

I wouldnt begrudge anyone leaving a small club to go there.

Not necessarily. Paul Cook may believe he has taken Chesterifield as about as they can go given their modest support levels. On the other hand, Portsmouth offers the successful candidate a set-up and a support base that is geared to the Championship and beyond.

His record (league games) for this season and last season reads as...

Played: 91
Won: 43
Drawn: 27
lost: 21

this gives his percentages as...

Wins: 47.26%
Draws: 29.67%
losses: 23.07%

which are pretty bloody good stats.

the stats for this season so far read...

Played: 45
Won: 24
Drawn: 12
Lost: 9

which give percentages as...

Wins: 53.33%
Draws: 26.66%
Losses: 20%

These are certainly well above his average! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The strange team selections and subs hasn't really happened since we started this amazing run. Just saying like

The strange team selections and subs hasn't really happened since we started this amazing run. Just saying like

Nothing's changed on that front. Same manager, same philosophies, same selection policies, same approach to substitutions. The only thing that HAS changed is the knee-jerk reactions questioning the manager's competence since results have continued to go our way. Funny that few are castigating him today for bringing Weston on in the last game when they were so adamant that such a "stupid substitution didn't work!" in previous ones when we've surrendered our slim 1-0 lead. Can't have it both ways.

Promote ok give him a 3 year deal. Fail in play offs 12 month with lucrative promotion and renewal clauses. Don't flame Mrs Blue. I too have changed my views. Ask yourself where Yorkshire Blue is now. Ask again whether the posting behaviour is designed to cover up the fact that YB and Wiggy are the same person, and of the female persuasion. Come on Yorkie, defend the indefensible. Phil and the squad have amazed us all.

The fact that he can leave Prosser out for weeks. Throw him on the bench and into the game without blinking. The fact that he can sub a sub as a tactical move. The fact that he can all this, find time to run, do the media and keep his tan up is impressive stuff.

I'm also not a big fan of RM but he should be given enormous credit for getting us into this position. He has EVERY right to celebrate on the pitch next week if we go up.

Ha, I'm most definitely not Wiggy.

We've had a very good squad for the past four seasons and have, other than once injuries hit badly in February 2013 been there or thereabouts, so I haven't been amazed by this squad. I expected this squad to do well when properly utilised. Players like Corr, Timlin, Leonard, Bentley, Hurst, Prosser etc are Southend legends, not just for this season but for their lion-hearted performances in getting us to Wembley as well. And had they been better used this year we'd have already wrapped up promotion and be looking at the title instead of having to sweat on the last day of season to see if we make it.

I certainly wouldn't trust Ron with any credit, but he's backed his manager with a substantial budget - only time will tell if that was a wise budget to allow or whether he's overextended us again. Since the championship the club has been propped up by the sale of Eastwood, Bailey - then a painful gap when things fell to pieces - and then the sales of Hall, Cresswell, Ferdinand and then the Wembley appearance. Bentley will have a sell on value but after that? That's the concern, and it always has been my concern which is why I've been preaching that we need to look beyond the short term and why we needed to look at a wider set of criteria when making managerial appointments. We're a selling club and we'll need to sell to survive. For that we'll need to develop and sell on players combined with revenue from cup runs. We're currently enjoying the financial tailwinds from the previous regime but what when they run out?

Back