• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anyone played at Roots Hall?

I was joint manager with Napster of SZFC in a tourney a couple years ago at the Hall

Can't believe it was that long ago!

I was involved in that team, also and had a bit of a kickabout mainly with Durera on the sidelines or when the teams were changing on the pitch.

Got to wear the lovely red 3rd shirt of that season too with 'Husbands 15' on the back. :)

I took a corner before the start of the season ;)

l_6624d958011e1b99546c66acb11c9d9c.jpg

In addition to RH I have graced the pitches of QPR and Luton. Of the three RH is naturally the best, Luton, believe it or not, had the best changing rooms and facilities with QPRs at the time worse than ours.

Also played in one of the last ever games at the old Wembley - pitch was like a ploughed field down the middle and a carpet on the wings.

Played at Roots Hall in the mid nineties in the South East Essex cup final. Was a great day, but the pitch is a lot harder than it looks, I had horrendous grass burns down my back...And that bath in the changing rooms!!!

Playing At Roots Hall

Chemico F C Have Played There 4 Times In The Southend Wendsday Charity Cup Finals. Also Won 3 Tournaments There To Which Southend Aranged.

Never played or officiated at the Hall but have been lucky enough to run the line for Schools cup finals etc played at pretty good venues. The best surface i have been on was one at loughborough lane (THFC training ground) at the back end of last season. We used the pitch the first team train on and what a surface. A lot of the first team watched from the stand that day too. Worst pitch, Brentwood Town FC. Absolutely shocking.

i've got one game away from it 3 times !!!! and all 3 times knocked out by the winners :( So never got there...but it has always been a dream of mine.

Any ideas of how to make it come true :)?

Played there a few times in finals with sat and sunday sides , the first time as a knew the final was at the hall , i was on a mad mission in the semi finals and bagged a hattrick to get us there !!

Played at many a ground in my yoot and roots hall is up there as best playing surface , although as someone pointed out earlier , the changing rooms and baths/showers are sunday league standard unfortunatly:D

I played there in the late 90's. All my dreams of blazing a winner in front of the North Bank were but a dream to the reality of chopping down their centre forward who was through on goal and having the East Stand chant 'OFF OFF OFF'. Moaning gits.

I do have Kevin Mahers coat hanger as a souvenir of the day....

i've got one game away from it 3 times !!!! and all 3 times knocked out by the winners So never got there...but it has always been a dream of mine.

Any ideas of how to make it come true ?

As a few friends and I had also missed out on playing at RH we contacted the club so we arranged to hire the pitch to play an SUFC staff team that included Rob Newman on the Friday before the 2001 FA cup final.

It was a red hot day and the pitch certainly seemed huge after playing at Eastwoodbury Lane but well worth the cash and I almost scored as Terry Alderton pulled off his best save of the afternoon as my shot was bound for the bottom corner at the North Bank end.

Fortunately we videoed the match which was good as a 6-6 thriller and probably the only game I have ever played that ended up with that score.
Also because a mate had cramp and not wanting to leave the pitch he went in goal only to hop over the ball in agony as it rolled into the net the first time it went near him which got us some cash back when it was shown on TV.

The club have since tried to cash in on the fans desire to play on the halloed turf by arranging corporate end of season tournaments on occasions.

i've got one game away from it 3 times !!!! and all 3 times knocked out by the winners So never got there...but it has always been a dream of mine.

Any ideas of how to make it come true ?

As a few friends and I had also missed out on playing at RH we contacted the club so we arranged to hire the pitch to play an SUFC staff team that included Rob Newman on the Friday before the 2001 FA cup final.

It was a red hot day and the pitch certainly seemed huge after playing at Eastwoodbury Lane but well worth the cash and I almost scored as Terry Alderton pulled off his best save of the afternoon as my shot was bound for the bottom corner at the North Bank end.

Fortunately we videoed the match which was good as a 6-6 thriller and probably the only game I have ever played that ended up with that score.
Also because a mate had cramp and not wanting to leave the pitch he went in goal only to hop over the ball in agony as it rolled into the net the first time it went near him which got us some cash back when it was shown on TV.

The club have since tried to cash in on the fans desire to play on the halloed turf by arranging corporate end of season tournaments on occasions.

When BLUEBLOOD and myself played Peter The Taylor was manager and played for the staff team.

to kick a ball on the RH pitch go for the mascot package, its always funny seeing mascots older than 12.

playing at roots hall

I Colin Staines Was In A Penalty Shoot Out In 1970 At Roots Hall Won My Section To The Final And Came 3 Rd In Final. 6th april 1970 Program V Chester City Picture Of Me If Any Bodys Got It, Post It If They Have Please.

Last edited:
I did the half time challange once , does that count.

FS Jnr played in an U16 cup final a few years ago (the year after I stopped managing the team !!) and I did the warm up / sponge man duties.

But I have played at the New Den and The Valley....

Playing At Roots Hall

I did the half time challange once , does that count.

FS Jnr played in an U16 cup final a few years ago (the year after I stopped managing the team !!) and I did the warm up / sponge man duties.

But I have played at the New Den and The Valley....
IVE PLAYED AT THE OLD DEN OLD WEMBLEY AND COLCHESTER AND SOUTHEND OV COURSE

Its nearly half 8 ... i'm pretty certain stickboy will be tucked up in bed with his cocoa now :D

Half past 8 and in bed with cocoa - you taking the mick??? Horlicks mate!! No the missus wasnt involved in that incident but certainly in 1 or 2 others

Back