• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Anyone played at Roots Hall?

Sean 2

Director
Ok,seems a bit quiet at the moment so thought i'd throw this one up to the more athletic amongst us.
Roots Hall has staged many many cup finals on behalf of our local leagues so tell me of the day that you played at our ground.Scored any goals?

I've played in five finals in my yoof,scoring once in the North Bank end and then in the 2nd half grabbed one in the South only for the ref to deem it offside(it wasn't me ref):cry:

My old man used to tell me that when he played for Runwell with Tilly's old man they played at the 'Hall in a final against the top Southend amateur side.With the score at 0-0 with just 5mins left,good old Frankie Banks chopped down my daddy and gave away a penalty.
Daddy got up and stuck it in the net to win the cup!

I have a video of a final i played in at 16,where the ball whizzed past the post and the opposition keeper raced behind the goal to retrieve it.
Trouble was,he forgot to stop and disappeared over the North Bank wall,which for those that have stood behind will know is a very big drop:D

I haven't played per se but after a friendly match me, my brothers and our mate played on the hallowed turf, must have been late 80s

But i seem to remember we played american football with rolled up t-shirts as we didn't have a football, which is pretty crap considering where we were! :D

I haven't played per se but after a friendly match me, my brothers and our mate played on the hallowed turf, must have been late 80s

But i seem to remember we played american football with rolled up t-shirts as we didn't have a football, which is pretty crap considering where we were! :D

Lol,in the Century United book there's a great photo of American footy in action on our pitch!

I have trained on the pitch 20 or 30 times in my youth..when the club was much smaller of course...A few of us local lads were invited by Lawrie Leslie to join in alot with training with the reserves etc, if I recall correctly it was on a Tuesday/Wednesday night. We had free access to all parts of the ground then...In fact I remember sticking those old gold transfer numbers on the new seats in the East stand. We all just "mucked in" in those days.

Played twice many years ago in local league cup finals ...dont ask me to remember the teams now ...

i've played 3 times and been sub once over the past ten or so years. Unfortunately my claim to fame with the Rambler boys is taking a free kick on the half way line in front of the East and slicing it straight into the back of the stand..top row...:hilarious:

I have trained on the pitch 20 or 30 times in my youth..when the club was much smaller of course...A few of us local lads were invited by Lawrie Leslie to join in alot with training with the reserves etc, if I recall correctly it was on a Tuesday/Wednesday night. We had free access to all parts of the ground then...In fact I remember sticking those old gold transfer numbers on the new seats in the East stand. We all just "mucked in" in those days.

Played twice many years ago in local league cup finals ...dont ask me to remember the teams now ...

we mean roots hall not the old greyhound track....:p

Never played there, was due to one year, but because Southend ended up in the play-offs in league two, rather than going up automatically. Meant the game was switched to somewhere I can't remember.

As it happened, we won that game on penalties and I was on the bench.

Had the pleasure of playing on the hallowed turf on numerous occasions in my youth, mostly with Earls Hall Junior School, alongside none other than Sir Adam of Barrett!..We had a fantastic school side back in the late 80's early 90's..

Also played there a few times in various kids Sunday League tournaments/cup finals etc..

HA,seemed like you had to run up stairs and kick it!

It did used to look tough which is why i had a couple of goes in the warm up. I actually think it helped a bit, as you could produce alot more whip on the corner and it was great angling it at the pen spot area and ending up near the 6 yard box line!

I played at Stamford Bridge a few years ago, but I was dressed as an 8ft tall green dragon at the time, so I didn't manage to impress Ranieri.

i scored against Martyn Thomas the SUFC goalie in the pre match warmup when i was mascot v Wigan Athletic in 1983.

Ive played on there twice once when BLUEBLOOD took a boot in the face from Dave Jobson and ended up in A&E for North Bank and once with my work team.

I was mascot v Walsall in 1983 and my boy v Carlisle in 2000.

When Steve Phillips was in charge of Junior Blues the training took place on the pitch and running up and down the old South Bank steps which was brilliant.

Indeed ... as previously mentioned in the "Debut" thread from The Pub ... still got the scar to prove it :o

oh yeah just read it. Don't think it was Sticky's missus tho as he didn't play for us then. Maybe he can confirm?

Back