• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Another signing? / Who is he?

I hear it is Joey Barton

Hope your hearing aid is defective, besides which Roots Hall is non smoking these days.

cuban_cigars_spain.jpg

Its difficult to see how the midfield can improve when it changes every game.

So far this season we've played:

Scannell* Bailey Moussa Walker** *Betsy 71mins **Grant 83mins
Scannell** Grant* Moussa Betsy *Sankofa 100mins **Ademeno 106mins
Betsy Grant Moussa Ademeno* *Sankofa 60mins
Betsy Grant Moussa* Robson-Kanu *Sent off 63 mins
Betsy Grant Sawyer Robson-Kanu* *Scannell 77mins
Betsy Grant* Sawyer Robson-Kanu** *Chrisophe 45 mins **Scannell 76mins
Betsy** Christophe Grant Robson-Kanu* *Walker 79mins **Revell 89mins

So we've only played the same midfield twice, and even then we changed it around at half-time in the second game.

Considering that Moussa is about the only player who was here for pre-season, it is little wonder that our midfield is such a mess. Getting in another player on loan is hardly going to help them gel together as a unit either. You might be able to chop and change like that when the players are use to the system and know each others names, but what the midfield needs probably more than another new face at this moment in time is some stability.

for once I actually agree with you, yet still think we need a few more players of better quality:clap:

glenn whelan from stoke city?
salif diao from stoke city?

both not getting in the team!?

" A Premiership Fringe player or a Premiership player with experience playing for West Ham, Spurs, Arsenal, Fulham & Chelsea" Any ideas?

Is that one of the above - or has played for all of them? If the latter, cannot be many that have achieved that...

Total outsiders...

Alexi Smertin - released by Fulham
Matty Etherington (Spurs & West Ham) - Injury prone

99.9% certain they'd not join us.

Quashie is a great shout though...

Last edited:
Its difficult to see how the midfield can improve when it changes every game.

So far this season we've played:

Scannell* Bailey Moussa Walker** *Betsy 71mins **Grant 83mins
Scannell** Grant* Moussa Betsy *Sankofa 100mins **Ademeno 106mins
Betsy Grant Moussa Ademeno* *Sankofa 60mins
Betsy Grant Moussa* Robson-Kanu *Sent off 63 mins
Betsy Grant Sawyer Robson-Kanu* *Scannell 77mins
Betsy Grant* Sawyer Robson-Kanu** *Chrisophe 45 mins **Scannell 76mins
Betsy** Christophe Grant Robson-Kanu* *Walker 79mins **Revell 89mins

So we've only played the same midfield twice, and even then we changed it around at half-time in the second game.

Considering that Moussa is about the only player who was here for pre-season, it is little wonder that our midfield is such a mess. Getting in another player on loan is hardly going to help them gel together as a unit either. You might be able to chop and change like that when the players are use to the system and know each others names, but what the midfield needs probably more than another new face at this moment in time is some stability.

Super example, bring on the stability and building of understanding and style of play that compliments the whole team, even at risk of short term results being less than desirable.

Rather build for the long term, than seek a quick fix.

Do any of you really believe the likes of Kavanagh, Quashie, Barmby, Whelan, Diao etc would drop into League One??? And that's without even taking into account the fact their wages would be far too big!!

Anyone expecting a player of this quality will almost certainly be very disappointed!!

Do any of you really believe the likes of Kavanagh, Quashie, Barmby, Whelan, Diao etc would drop into League One??? And that's without even taking into account the fact their wages would be far too big!!

Anyone expecting a player of this quality will almost certainly be very disappointed!!

Who said we would pay their wages? Some clubs send players out on loan to keep them happy and let them play for other clubs for nothing. Do you really think we are paying for Sawyer's wages?

Who said we would pay their wages? Some clubs send players out on loan to keep them happy and let them play for other clubs for nothing. Do you really think we are paying for Sawyer's wages?

Given that he was part of Chelsea's Youth Cup squad last season yes I would imagine we are paying his wages as even by Chelsea's standards he certainly wouldn't be on any more than our other players.

There's no way we'll get any of the 5 mentioned, if it happens I'll admit I was wrong but the chances of that happening are slim to say the least - no player of that quality is going to take a 2 division drop into League One (unless it was to Leeds or Leicester at a push).

Personally I'd like us to go for Carl Fletcher at Palace, on the transfer list and would be exactly what we need.

I am guessing we need to put it all in perspective

Will be probably from a London club due to I doubt many prem players would relocate to us for just a loan.

Must be completely out of reckoning at the club and probably past his peak so expect a player in his mid-late 30's.

Will not be from one of the top teams as even if you are a player of that age you would not consider dropping down to League 1 so most probably from a newly promoted team or one that has struggled last season.

A player who will drop down to League 1 to play football and not for money as come on we can not afford prem players wages. Maybe even a player who has played League 1 before.

Just thought i would write this out for mine and everyones benefit. But I am stumped who it could be if thats the criteria.

Be good if we can get someone in, however :-

Barmby - No chance he hates the South, plays for his hometown club Hull and his son has just signed professional terms with Man Utd, so can't see him wanting to up-sticks.

Quashie - Well documented that wherever he has played he has been on big money, and probably not the best person for team spirit / morale.

I agree with previous posts that it will probably be someone who plays for a London club.

Anyway, our season will kick-start this Saturday, 3 points and we will be back on the march up the table.

Quashie - Well documented that wherever he has played he has been on big money, and probably not the best person for team spirit / morale.

Has it? The only thing well documented with Quashie is his been involved with a lot of teams that have been relegated.

Its difficult to work out who it will be, I can't see it being anyone mentioned on here so far but then again I reckon its going to be someone we have heard of especially seeing as his "experienced". My guess is his 30+ and not getting game time at the moment. I imagine we are going for someone quiet defensive, like Nicky Butt (I know it won't be him).

Very interesting to see who it will be....

Anyway, our season will kick-start this Saturday, 3 points and we will be back on the march up the table

Agree saturdays game is a must win ......

""Anyway, our season will kick-start this Saturday, 3 points and we will be back on the march up the table ""

Agree saturdays game is a must win

I'm still saying that due to wages and location and the type of player we can lure i'd still go for Carl Fletcher .

No substance for this apart from the above .

Although I have to agree with you, Barmby would not be the best of examples as I believe when he agreed to join Hull they were actually in League 1 at the time. I think if anything this proves that players would drop to this level if,

1) the player lives and was brought up locally
2) the club in question are willing to pay ridiculous wages in order to get such a player.

Both factors would have lead to Nicky Barmby's decision to move to Hull, in any case, none of the players quoted in this thread match this criteria. Being honest, I'd be surprised if even someone of Carl Fletchers legacy would consider a move to Roots Hall ... but stranger things have happended.

With regard to Quashie - he has been out injured for ages at West Ham and he would be in need of some competitive football. It remains to be seen what standard he is now at having been out so long.

With their impending manager to be announced I am not sure they would be in position to talk about putting people out on loan. At West Ham I would think it more likely to be a youngster such as Jack Collison - the reserve team captain. At least he was last year.

As many times as we have heard his name I would think it is more likely now than ever before that he would join the blues given the stage of his career.

Back