• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Aldershot Town v Southend United, Wednesday 23rd October, 19:45 k.o., NL

Starting XI and result

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Shrimpergonzo

Nanu, Nanu⭐🦐
Staff member
After the trip to Rochdale on Saturday we’re back on the road again midweek, this time on the unusual day of Wednesday, to face Aldershot. This is the second match in succession where the kick off time has been changed to accommodate TV - this time the game has been put back a whole 24 hours.

Aldershot have a pretty much identical record to us this season and are only below us by virtue of a single goal in the goal difference column. Form wise, ours is slightly better following the win at Rochdale on Saturday - the Shots’ only league win in the last six games was on Saturday (against Eastleigh) although, also like us, they had a win in the FA Cup the previous Saturday too. So it sounds like we should be two evenly matched sides.

They are managed by Tommy Widdrington, who had a short spell with us as assistant manager, and he seems to have failed to find a consistently winning formula this season - let’s hope their stuttering start continues on Wednesday evening.

Kev seems to be turning things around a bit for us and bravely left three of his so-called star names (Bonne, Moncur, Bridge) on the bench at Spotland and of course was also unable to select our top scorer too. Despite his man of the match performance, it seems unlikely that George Wind will keep his place at Gus’s expense on Wednesday, but we’ll see. We now have a decent looking bench and with Miley and Waldron nearing a return too (although Kev said Wednesday was probably too soon for them) we may shortly have to leave some first team players out of the matchday 18 altogether.

So who would you choose to start at the Recreation Ground on Wednesday evening and what do you predict the result will be?

Last edited:
James Henry has scored or assisted almost all Aldershot's goals this season and is a real threat. I think he plays wide right, so Nathan Ralph almost certain to start at LWB if that is the case.
He has always been a quality player. Was top goalscorer on two occasions at Oxford. 35 now but still got plenty in the tank. Got player of the month for August this season after getting 5 goals. He's a real threat that we need to be on top of. I'm glad Stokes and Tolaj have gone, they were a real handful.

Gus will undoubtedly come back into the team at the expense of Wind. That's not detrimental to him and he's really good starting debut. We just aren't going to leave out our best player this year and our top goalscorer. He's been our best player because of where he is playing, so any calls for him to play higher up the pitch will fall on deaf ears I think.

Team stays the same other than that I think. Unless Pepple really did hurt his hammy. Thought Husin did enough to keep his place and Coker got another solid amount of minutes under his belt. He wasn't a stand out but his press was really effective.

It will be incredible to come out of two tricky away games with 6 points going into Saturday. COYB'S!

Last edited:
Gus or Wind is presumably the only debate. It would be a brave man to not pick the goal scoring threat of Gus. On the other hand I don't see how how Wind develops if he isn't given a run of games. You can't move on just training and he seems to be widely regarded as MOM on debut in a winning team.

James Henry has scored or assisted almost all Aldershot's goals this season and is a real threat. I think he plays wide right, so Nathan Ralph almost certain to start at LWB if that is the case.

PB tried to sign Henry after his loan spell at Bolton. He planned to commute from Reading rather than move his young family. After his second trip to Southend and the joys of the A127 he decided it would take too long. I think he signed for Oxford instead.

Fans get caught up with the wages on offer in the PL and Championship. At our level it isn't always about the money.

Gus or Wind is presumably the only debate. It would be a brave man to not pick the goal scoring threat of Gus. On the other hand I don't see how how Wind develops if he isn't given a run of games. You can't move on just training and he seems to be widely regarded as MOM on debut in a winning team.

Yes Kev has a dilemma. Dropping someone after an MOM away from home on debut might not send the right message out to the squad. Where as keeping him in says you will be rewarded. Would certainly make GSM realise he needs to keep his defending standards up and maybe not lose his place over some silly decent bookings.

Think we will struggle in this one.

Rochdale, like Eastleigh and Solihull, gave us lots of room to play around. Aldershot employ a far more energetic press and we’ve struggled with that. I think we’ll therefore need Pepple to have a big game by giving us the option to go long as well as short.

We’ll need to work hard and see if we can snatch something once they’ve tired.

“Southend drop top scorer and best player of the season so far and lose at Aldershot” is a headline I don’t want to see.
It's not dropping though as he didn't play the last game. No clue what the answer is as Wind deserves to start after that great performance but GSM has earnt the right to go straight back in the side. Without changing the front line and maybe play GSM on the right side of a front 3 one of them is going to have to sit on the bench and both would have every right to feel ****ed off

It's not dropping though as he didn't play the last game. No clue what the answer is as Wind deserves to start after that great performance but GSM has earnt the right to go straight back in the side. Without changing the front line and maybe play GSM on the right side of a front 3 one of them is going to have to sit on the bench and both would have every right to feel ****ed off
Would the midfielder who was dropped for any positional switch feel aggrieved?

The last time he was available to play he did, if he is not selected on Wednesday he’s been dropped.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back