• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Alan McCormack Signs

His wonder goal v Preston was a cracker.
Thanks, I was trying to find this earlier today to show my son. One of the best Southend goals - remember drunkenly telling Macca and Stevie Hammell this in whatever that bar next to Mayhem was called (Varsity?).

I showed the photo of Macca on the OS to my wife (not a Southend fan/local) and said "Look who's back at Southend!"

She replied, "ooh I remember Adam Barrett"

I think he's exactly what we need at the moment, whether we get 90 mins out of him or he stays beyond January or not. As some have said, I don't see this as a signing with only on-the-pitch influence in mind.

Thank God I've been paying more credence to the opinions of Luton and Northampton fans who have actually watched him play regularly in the past couple of seasons, rather than those of people on here who are writing him off based on guesswork.

I think he’s exactly what we need. We haven’t had a proper lower league midfield enforcer since Deegan and Macca is twice the footballer. 36 isn’t ancient anymore, these guys look after themselves nowadays. with the Barnet lad also joining we’re starting to get some experience back in the squad. If we can keep White, Dieng & Demi fit along with these new signings we should at least have enough to survive this season & hopefully see us through to the bright new Fossets dawn.

Some people make me laugh ,Okay we welcome McCormack back to the club fine, now some are talking about bringing back Atkinson, Francis (we couldnt afford even if we wanted too ) Wordsworth ( A crock ),why dont we just ask Shaun Goater if he wants to don his boots again too .Enough of getting past players back ,what we should be looking for is players around the 25 years old mark with experience to help our young lads,

Some people make me laugh ,Okay we welcome McCormack back to the club fine, now some are talking about bringing back Atkinson, Francis (we couldnt afford even if we wanted too ) Wordsworth ( A crock ),why dont we just ask Shaun Goater if he wants to don his boots again too .Enough of getting past players back ,what we should be looking for is players around the 25 years old mark with experience to help our young lads,

I think Macca could work in the short-term. But while his footballing brain might be sharper than before, his legs may not always be to keep pace with it.

I was rather hoping MM was going to stick with his first choice midfielder from a non-league club, but I suspect if Macca can help stabilise the situation on the playing side that could still happen later in the year.

People have to stop seeing Macca as one player and what he brings to the starting 11. The guy from Weymouth may be better over the next 5-7 years (if anyone ever stays at a club that long anyway!) but I strongly believe Macca not only brings himself for a season or maybe 2 but he is going to have a serious impact on the training ground, in the dressing room and in the mentality of everyone in the squad.

The Weymouth fella may improve us 10%and Macca only 5% but if he also improves Hutchinson, Gard, Kelman, Egbri by 10% and raises standards at training and off the pitch by another 10% then there’s the value

People have to stop seeing Macca as one player and what he brings to the starting 11. The guy from Weymouth may be better over the next 5-7 years (if anyone ever stays at a club that long anyway!) but I strongly believe Macca not only brings himself for a season or maybe 2 but he is going to have a serious impact on the training ground, in the dressing room and in the mentality of everyone in the squad.

The Weymouth fella may improve us 10%and Macca only 5% but if he also improves Hutchinson, Gard, Kelman, Egbri by 10% and raises standards at training and off the pitch by another 10% then there’s the value

Absolutely, as he said in his interview he hates losing. And he’s the sort of bloke that will call out players who aren’t putting 100% in. But it’s not all about balling out players his experience and knowledge will as Ollie says will help develop the prospects.

Having a 36 year old putting in a serious amount of effort during training makes others raise their game. Those that don’t will stand out more and should be shipped out.

Back