• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread AFC Fylde v Southend United, Tuesday 17th September K/O 7:45pm

Starting XI and result

• Total voters
No issue with travelling by train but come on ffs less than 5 hours before ko is absurd. Yes **** happens but at least go for like an 8am train or something to allow for any hold ups. Nobodies fault just would have thought that’s common sense?
Would have been an early start from Southend.

Back in the day 1970’s the players used to get to Kings Cross or Euston in a mini bus and catch the 9am train up north …. But then there were only 12 players a manager and trainer… Some of the northern based players took them selves up north the day before and stayed overnight with family…

I fail to believe that the team travelling by train on game day is
A) Cheaper than the coach and hotel
B) Great for the player and performance

Got to be at least £100 pp on the train and a lot of gear to transport

Coach is say £30pp and hotel if sharing maybe £50pp

I am all for cost cutting but this is ridiculous
The kit and other bits are taken by road direct to the ground. A block advance booking will be cheaper than an overnight stay and coach travel. Plus the train company will have to pay compensation, so a large chunk of the fare will be refunded.

Unless the NL give us fine and their standard 10 point SUFC deduction then this does the club a real favour. Though not of course to anyone travelling up today.

As for train on the day. We did that a few times in the past, including under PB. very few players look forward to along coach journey and an over night stay. Especially those that don't live local and can join and leave the ream in London and beyond.

Couple of seasons ago we met a player on the train travelling on his own. His lift hadn't turned up when we got out at York.....Wished him luck and agreed amongst ourselves that not the best prep.......He scored the opener that day and we won 2-0. He is known as GSM

Genius move whoever pulled the plug to allow new signings time to adjust.

In seriousness my heart goes out to the shrimpers who have travelled up for the match.

I fail to believe that the team travelling by train on game day is
A) Cheaper than the coach and hotel
B) Great for the player and performance

Got to be at least £100 pp on the train and a lot of gear to transport

Coach is say £30pp and hotel if sharing maybe £50pp

I am all for cost cutting but this is ridiculous
Surge pricing means hotels are a lot more expensive when Southend United are in town.

Back