• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread AFC Fylde v Southend United, Tuesday 17th September K/O 7:45pm

Starting XI and result

• Total voters
I was pleased to see COSU put some money in the Fylde pub for those that made it there, that sure wouldn't have happened under Rons watch!
Certainly didn’t happen when we got to Accrington a few seasons ago when the game was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch…

Why? It's still embarrassing.
20 years of financial mismanagement is embarrassing. Numerous times before the courts is embarrassing.

Getting stuck on a train as part of ongoing efforts to make the club financially viable is unfortunatel.

Ignore cash rich lower league clubs like Wrexham. Ask around and find out just how common match day train and coach travel is.

Embarrassing is advocating the club flies up at enormous expense or stays up the night before in the context of where we’ve just come from. Almost as embarrassing as flaming the defensive’ manager whose last 3 signings were two attacking midfielders and a forward.

I’ll take 20 years of this versus 12 months of Ron.

fans would be leaving earlier than the players who need to be at the stadium some time before for warm ups etc. the time of their train was an embarrassment. It’s inexcusable to leave so
Late. What were they thinking?

20 years of financial mismanagement is embarrassing. Numerous times before the courts is embarrassing.

Getting stuck on a train as part of ongoing efforts to make the club financially viable is unfortunatel.

Ignore cash rich lower league clubs like Wrexham. Ask around and find out just how common match day train and coach travel is.

Embarrassing is advocating the club flies up at enormous expense or stays up the night before in the context of where we’ve just come from. Almost as embarrassing as flaming the defensive’ manager whose last 3 signings were two attacking midfielders and a forward.

I’ll take 20 years of this versus 12 months of Ron.
All good points but are you telling me if that was the other way round Fylde wouldn't be ripped to pieces on here? It's still embarrassing.

So is it the managements fault that a poxy train breakes dowm .Think not trains breake down regularly .jUST ask many travlers that have sat on trains going nowhere .The club has travled by train many times to long distance games .Without any problems .

Certainly didn’t happen when we got to Accrington a few seasons ago when the game was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch…
No lol but we did watch an enthralling 0-0 between Blackburn and Newcastle, what a weird away day that was

Its not just cost and less travel time. Kev gets full day on Friday training with the players, rather than getting on a bus by 1200hrs. He likes to keep the routine the same which is why he is against Friday night games.

Funny how within 2 months of COSU the same people who whinged consistently under Ron are bombarding each thread with they same ignorant nonsense.......Turns out it wasn't Ron ruining their live like they claim. It was being a boring, moaning, nit picking, m**t that makes them unhappy.

If they put season cards up by just £100 to cover all the extras they demand you know they would be first out the door. Oh for the days of bit of trouble on the terrace. At least you enjoyed the day because it was with real fans not people who have a PL inferiority complex when they turn up at the office.....Or McDonalds.

When I heard what happened it made me wonder 2 things -

With C2C being one of our sponsors, it would make a lot of sense for the team's travel to be heavily subsidised or paid for by C2C rathen than by us - which would be a huge saving over a season in coach travel, hotels etc. I dont know if this is the case, but it seems fairly likely we are getting a very good deal, especially as the long haul trips are known months in advance... and in fairness, the train journey "shouldnt" be problematic, but sometimes this is so far out of anyone's control. next time, they may need to build in more contingency time.

The second is whilst they know it will be a nightmare for all concerned, a part of me is wondering whether this is a blessing in disguise as others have said. It has been a rotten week for Kevin, and this will at least enable the new lads to bond and they will have more time to get over the loss of Cardwell. When we do play the rearranged fixture, we will likely be much stronger than we would have been today.

It is awful for travelling fans though, I do feel for you all.

Is it not possible to be incredibly supportive of the new owners and thankful for them saving the club but also to be a bit anxious that we seem to be getting a short sharp lesson on football club ownership, administration and in particular sustainability ? Can you sustainably recruit the higher quality players that take you up from just better than mediocre to champions ? We haven’t had a chance to see the latest recruits but barely any of the previous half a dozen made it onto the starting line up signed under Ron.

Has anyone on here tried travelling up the M1, M6 on a Friday afternoon in August or in fact any Friday? likely it would take 9 or 10 hours with breaks. It was just unfortunate that the train the team were on broke down. I imagine they will be on the train again next Saturday to Oldham - 2hrs 6mins to Manchester and 30 minute drive.

Don’t forget we were busy trying to sign players yesterday
Indeed. Last two times we've travelled up for a weekend via the M1/M6, going on the Friday, it's taken 7 hours+ (including two short "splash and go" stops at services). There are ALWAYS roadworks on those roads. Both times we've crossed over the Pennines via the M62 and come home via the A1 and it's cut hours off the time, plus it's much nicer.

It's clear, some of you don't run a business. Hoping that the train will get you there an hour before a game, isn't good business sense. Those poor fans yesterday who travelled made it up there yesterday. A coach outside RH at 8am would have been fine, if C2C are giving discounts, why not pay for a coach, they use a lot of them as rail replacements.
You don't hear of many other teams not making it to games, as they probably have a better system if anything goes wrong.
Maybe the supporters coaches could take the team?

Last edited:
I've never been on a train that has been evacuated but I've had numerous trains cancelled and had to wait an hour or two for the next one. Also several trains over an hour late on arrival. So more time needs to be allowed for team journeys.
I have, plenty of times, when I used to work in the City in the 80s! Remember walking along the tracks carefully near Barking many times.

But isn’t this the first time it has ever happened? If so it’s a small miracle it’s never happened before. Trains, airplanes, coaches, cars, all suffer from delays at times, for a multitude of reasons.

Last edited:
Have thought about this a bit more, and I noticed someone said the Illuminations have just gone on. So I checked. They did. Friday.

With it also being the last weekend of the school holidays, I suspect all their usual hotel options nearby were either fully booked or ridiculously too expensive for them to stay in. Don't forget this will have been arranged in quite a short time frame from when fixtures were released, so they probably thought that a train would be a sensible option.

Maybe they looked at staying a bit further away overnight, I don't know, but, for whatever reason they opted for a train. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and it's all too easy to criticise but I do believe that they probably did explore other options as it's not what they usually do on a trip that far away. Anyway, lesson learned.

1000028307.jpg
Add this travel problem to the west bank bar problem, it does seem that blues new owners need to learn pretty quickly. The image is the answer to the west bank bar problem, it's really not difficult.

I have, plenty of times, when I used to work in the City in the 80s! Remember walking along the tracks carefully near Barking many times.
I remember those "Misery Line" days all too clearly. Getting down onto the tracks in a tight skirt and stilettos was no fun, and trying to avoid breaking an ankle walking to the next station was an all to frequent occurrance. Wouldnt happen now, they would rather leave you on the train to cook for a few hours!

Back