• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread AFC Fylde v Southend United, Tuesday 17th September K/O 7:45pm

Starting XI and result

• Total voters
I’ve been travelling to games by train for 25+ years and I’ve never been stuck on a train that has to be evacuated

Do you really think it’s worthwhile incurring the additional expense and inconvenience because of a once in a 25 year event?

Jesus Matt. I didn't think I'd have to explain this to you. Foregoing the chance of delay or cancelation ( which is naive not to consider. we are supposed to be a professional sports team. They shouldn't be traveling hundreds of miles on the day they are due to play professional sport.

We have a threadbare squad already, numerous players playing through injury and poor form. I'm sure sitting on a train for 3, 4 ,5 hours pre match really sets us up to do well.

It's one thing traveling to away games for 25 plus years to watch a game of football and be patronising after, it's another to be a professional athlete and perform to a decent standard.

Why. Sometimes things like this happen. The coach might have broken down if they took the coach.
To be travelling that far on the day of the game is shocking. It’s up by ****ing Blackpool! If I had a meeting in Blackpool I’d travel up the night before. If I were taking family up for the Pleasure beach and take them up Blackpool Tower I’d travel up the day before.

It’s **** poor, if it was a game in the midlands or somewhere closer I’d get it. But one of the longest away trips of the season for a 3pm KO to travel up that late on the day is shocking and embarrassing. Purely my opinion, but if I was running a business that has been a laugh stock for so long recent events too, I would be doing everything to avoid this. We continue to be a tin pot, laughing stock! I feel for the fans who made the journey and the Saturdays ruined for both home and away fans.

To be travelling that far on the day of the game is shocking. It’s up by ****ing Blackpool! If I had a meeting in Blackpool I’d travel up the night before. If I were taking family up for the Pleasure beach and take them up Blackpool Tower I’d travel upReall the day before.

It’s **** poor, if it was a game in the midlands or somewhere closer I’d get it. But one of the longest away trips of the season for a 3pm KO to travel up that late on the day is shocking and embarrassing. Purely my opinion, but if I was running a business that has been a laugh stock for so long recent events too, I would be doing everything to avoid this. We continue to be a tin pot, laughing stock! I feel for the fans who made the journey and the Saturdays ruined for both home and away fans.
Jesus Christ. Totally embarrassing post. Complete and utter nonsense from start to finish.

The thing is it's not the easiest travel by train either, it's still a hell of a long day going on the day, baffles me really why this has been done. Southend to London, then the underground which is usually busy enough on a weekend, then another couple of hours sat on a train from London. Bonkers

Jesus Matt. I didn't think I'd have to explain this to you. Foregoing the chance of delay or cancelation ( which is naive not to consider. we are supposed to be a professional sports team. They shouldn't be traveling hundreds of miles on the day they are due to play professional sport.

We have a threadbare squad already, numerous players playing through injury and poor form. I'm sure sitting on a train for 3, 4 ,5 hours pre match really sets us up to do well.

It's one thing traveling to away games for 25 plus years to watch a game of football and be patronising after, it's another to be a professional athlete and perform to a decent standard.
We are also trimming the budget to be more in keeping with our current status and no business that is in debt will shell out unless they have to. Would you rather a couple of players and ground improvements or an expensive hotel bill, our margins are tight, very tight and besides, plenty of teams travel long distances on the day, even further up the leagues, This was a rare event and sometimes **** happens.

Just home after a near 8 hour round trip. Got to around 1 hour from Fylde before hearing the news. Looked at alternatives for games but either couldn’t get there, get tickets or couldn’t be bothered so came home. Seen some fans made it to Goodison and also Derby. Anyway we came home. Never a dull moment at RH. Safe travels those still on way home

Travelling on the day means players get to sleep in their own beds and stick to their usual routines for longer. That’s usually considered to be a positive for performance. How is sharing a hotel room with a snoring teammate good for performance?

Travelling by train will be much better for performance. It’s usually a quicker journey than by coach, you’re less likely to get travel sick, there’s more leg room and you can stretch your legs.

It’s unfortunate that on this one occasion the train broke down. That happens to coaches as well.

FFS tickets in advance are not £130. But even if they were with a group saver that would likely be cheaper than overnight coach travel as you’d need to hire a coach and drivers for two days.
I am not an expert in buying rail tickets, but assuming they can be bought through C2C, we may well have got a decent discount.

Travelling via the train is one thing but to be getting to Preston at 1:50 would have been cutting it close anyway as it take 20 minutes to get to the stadium assuming there was no traffic.

Love the advice from people who's longest away game was Basildon in the Sunday league. Our management team and the players will be in agreement on how to travel to an away fixture. I'll also wager they were not going on any local trains and aiming for a 14:00hrs at the ground.

I seem to remember back in the day team coaches breaking down etc. One time they arrive at Tranmere on Friday night so late they changed on the bus......Jogged straight through the entrance down the tunnel and onto the pitch.....Then won the game.

More recently the coach broke down on the M25. Could have been somewhere like MK or Northampton away. I remember phoning someone on the team bus to see if they needed any lifts as we drove by. Luckily they were near the M11 junction and arranged an easy alternative

We are also trimming the budget to be more in keeping with our current status and no business that is in debt will shell out unless they have to. Would you rather a couple of players and ground improvements or an expensive hotel bill, our margins are tight, very tight and besides, plenty of teams travel long distances on the day, even further up the leagues, This was a rare event and sometimes **** happens.

Cool. Yeah, the money saved here has gone on the new fan zone hasn't it, or sorting out the food and drink options, oh or the 6 new signings. Oh or Cleaning the toilets!

Stop accepting mediocrity. They didnt even realise one of their own players wasnt registered last week!

If this had happened under Ron, you'd all be losing your minds.

Last edited:
Back