• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A complete load of Bollox

Top of the league and you still all moan . Criticise the club at every opportunity.

You should all 'sit down, shut up' as some of you often sing.

You all fail to recall that terracing did not encourage families to attend, especially to big games where kids could not see much.

I was watching the Collymore Collection and seeing some of the packed terraces reminded me of how uncomfortable it could sometimes be.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] You all fail to recall that terracing did not encourage families to attend, especially to big games where kids could not see much.

I was watching the Collymore Collection and seeing some of the packed terraces reminded me of how uncomfortable it could sometimes be.
North Bank atmosphere was well worth the price!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TrueBlue @ Feb. 21 2006,10:26)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ] You all fail to recall that terracing did not encourage families to attend, especially to big games where kids could not see much.

Good for you , but it never sounded that loud in the West Stand. What you might call the barrel roof effect.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Prodigal Son @ Feb. 21 2006,09:43)]Top of the league and you still all moan . Criticise the club at every opportunity.

You should all 'sit down, shut up' as some of you often sing.

You all fail to recall that terracing did not encourage families to attend, especially to big games where kids could not see much.

football most definitely wasn't a family thing!
this is now the problem with most england away games..

[b said:
[b said:

You are joking surely - the "North Bank atmosphere" is one of the biggest myths of all time. I think people tend to recall the odd game where there was a decent atmosphere on the North Bank when in reality it was generally very quite for the majority of games (not to mention the appalling view). For that reason, I always much preferred the West Bank.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Upminster Blue @ Feb. 21 2006,13:11)]
[b said:
[b said:

You are joking surely - the "North Bank atmosphere" is one of the biggest myths of all time.  I think people tend to recall the odd game where there was a decent atmosphere on the North Bank when in reality it was generally very quite for the majority of games (not to mention the appalling view).  For that reason, I always much preferred the West Bank.
Agreed. As a kid I could hardly see a thing in the North Bank. However there was no segregation then and we could stand in the old South terrace which gave a much better view. If I had the money I'd opt for the East Paddock or the West Stand

Fact.
At the end of the day when you buy your season ticket or when you buy your matchday tickets you all agree to abide by the rules as laid out by the club and the FLA regardless of whether we agree to them or not. Yes it may not seem fare that away supporters can get away with persistently standing during the game but you have agreed to abide by the rules and regulations and if after constantly flouting those regulations and you get thrown out of the ground and incure a ban then you have no one to blame but yourself.

There is a positive to the no standing regulation which seems to have been overlooked. Since it came into force, football on the whole has become a much more family orientated passtime to some. The amount of youngsters attending Roots Hall now, whether accomapnied by an adult or with their friends has increased dramatically since the days of the old terracing, and let's face it, some of these youngsters attending now will go on to become the die hard supporters of the future. which is good for all concerned with the club.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (D62SUBOY @ Feb. 21 2006,15:29)]Fact.
football on the whole has become a much more family orientated passtime to some.
Fact.
Let's face it, football never was intended for a "Family outing"
it's for working class men and the like to go and have a bet and a beer.. and curse the other team til their heart's content!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Feb. 21 2006,16:09)]
[b said:
football on the whole has become a much more family orientated passtime to some.
Fact.
it's for working class men and the like to go and have a bet and a beer.. and curse the other team til their heart's content!
thats more of an opinion really. football evolves, and so it should. local clubs = local communities = families getting more involved.

[b said:
[b said:
Fact.
And the intention was to never have foreign players,football on TV all the time, kits changing,etc.

It has evolved.

[b said:
[b said:
Fact.
Unreconstructed Neanderthal!!
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Prodigal Son @ Feb. 21 2006,16:23)]
[b said:
[b said:
Fact.
And the intention was to never have foreign players,football on TV all the time, kits changing,etc.

It has evolved.
Shame some of the fans haven't yet

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Fiftyone @ Feb. 21 2006,16:36)]
[b said:
[b said:
Fact.
Unreconstructed Neanderthal!!
rock.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

ok ok.. Fu cking idiot! Fact!

[b said:
[b said:
Fact.
Sorry but I can't agree with you.  The terraces were for the working men whilst the middle classes sat in the stands.  There was a real class distinction in location within the grounds but all social classes were represented.  Thankfully those distinctions have broken down and spectators sit/stand where they are most comfortable or where they can get tickets.

And its also wrong to say that football was never intended as a family outing.  I have been watching SUFC since my father first took me to Grainger Road when I was 7 some 59 years ago.   All the kids, and there were loads of us, were pushed to the front so that we could see the game.   There were, of course men who went for a beer and a bet as you say but I would guess just as many who took their sons for an afternoon of what is now called "bonding".  Nothing has changed.  I took my sons now aged 36 and 39 when I had to lift them over the turnstile as my father did with me.  We are all season ticket holders at Roots Hall.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blake @ Feb. 21 2006,17:01)]
[b said:
[b said:
Fact.
Must really get your goat (no pun intended) to see all those females and kids at The Hall now huh?

Don't tell me, if you had your way we'd all be standing in the freezing rain donning cloth caps and waving wooden rattles above our heads wouldn't we
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (D62SUBOY @ Feb. 21 2006,17:08)]Don't tell me, if you had your way we'd all be standing in the freezing rain donning cloth caps and waving wooden rattles above our heads wouldn't we  
rock.gif
Football's never been the same since they stopped us bringing our whippets into the ground.

glare.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Feb. 21 2006,17:20)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (D62SUBOY @ Feb. 21 2006,17:08)]Don't tell me, if you had your way we'd all be standing in the freezing rain donning cloth caps and waving wooden rattles above our heads wouldn't we  
rock.gif
Football's never been the same since they stopped us bringing our whippets into the ground.

glare.gif
whippits.. norVerners?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (D62SUBOY @ Feb. 21 2006,17:08)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (blake @ Feb. 21 2006,17:01)]
[b said:
[b said:
Fact.
Must really get your goat (no pun intended) to see all those females and kids at The Hall now huh?

Don't tell me, if you had your way we'd all be standing in the freezing rain donning cloth caps and waving wooden rattles above our heads wouldn't we  
rock.gif
of course.. and all the miners should be back..

oh and bring back national service
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CS J @ Feb. 21 2006,18:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ Feb. 21 2006,17:20)]
[b said:
rock.gif

glare.gif
whippits.. norVerners?
A common misunderstanding... We flogged all our whippets "oop Nooorth" when we all got jobs and they had nothing better to do....

FACT : Stand up - you could be imposed with a ban - if you love this club you should respect the rules. You go on about how other clubs are allowed to this and that, bottom line is, our club is saying sit down, and couldnt give a monkey what 'other clubs do' and if thats the rule then do it! And yes the autorites do have the power to close sections, its a very real threat, otherwise it wouldnt be on the O S, and if we have to close stands it means attendances fall ...loss of money ...ect ect Simply, you wanna have the priviallege of watching the game then you'll hve to sit,

Back