• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

2017 General Election thread

Yeah, apparently she has links. But its a stone cold fact who you're boy knocks about with, so you want to watch chucking those stones about while so close to that glass house.

Corbyn has been pilloried on here for his "links" with the IRA, but it's ok for May to jump in bed with someone who actively supported loyalist terrorists. The hypocrisy of the right!

Labour wins the final seat after 3 re-counts in Kensington.

Did any Shrimperzoners on here have any changes to their seat or close calls?

My constituency of Thurrock came down to just 345 between Conservative (hold) and Labour..... out of 50,325 voters. It does seem the gap is narrowing as the difference between the 2 parties in 2015 was 536 (although, still a small majority back then).

you must be the last person in the country still clinging on to the 'Corbyn is bad for Labour' myth

Certainly not, he's strolling around as if he's actually won something, when actually, all he is is Spurs to May's Chelsea. I really had hoped that this would be an end to all this political ******** for a while, but thanks to a bunch of totally inept PM advisors, we've now got this ridiculous situation of a forced coalition with a bunch of small minded politicians saving the Conservatives' majority, and an inevitable further GE probably within a year.

Labour wins Kensington by just 20 votes....I read that for just over 2000 votes, Corbyn would be PM today. Small margins..... :sad:

Labour wins Kensington by just 20 votes....I read that for just over 2000 votes, Corbyn would be PM today. Small margins..... :sad:

Similar for the Conservatives to be fair.

Still, any examples that demonstrate the importance of every vote are welcome.

Tiny point on Kensington - really great result for Labour but not quite as seismic as it would have been in the old Kensington and Chelsea days. It's not all Georgian mansions round there.

It was on Facebook, so possibly bollocks. :smile:

Think the vote difference countrywide was around 1.5 million. Though the true number of seats actually required is 321 not 326 for a majority due to Sinn Fein not taking up their setas and the speaker not being able to vote. Actually does anyone know if the same applies to the deputy speaker?

BTW I never voted for either of the 2 main parties in this election, so as a neutral, I feel fine about posting these apparently true interesting political stats going around.....Well I found them interesting anyway....:

1. More people have voted for Jeremy Corbyn in this election (12.9 million) than any other Labour voters since Tony Blair's landslide victory in 1997.

2. Theresa May won the biggest General Election vote share (42.4%) since Margaret Thatcher in 1979.

3. This election was the highest combined "2 party politics vote" since 1970 (82%).

Last edited:

My constituency of Thurrock came down to just 345 between Conservative (hold) and Labour..... out of 50,325 voters. It does seem the gap is narrowing as the difference between the 2 parties in 2015 was 536 (although, still a small majority back then).

Labour made progress here in Hemel but with no UKIP candidate gobbling up votes this time around, everyone did! Incumbent Conservative MP still got over 54%

Certainly not, he's strolling around as if he's actually won something, when actually, all he is is Spurs to May's Chelsea. I really had hoped that this would be an end to all this political ******** for a while, but thanks to a bunch of totally inept PM advisors, we've now got this ridiculous situation of a forced coalition with a bunch of small minded politicians saving the Conservatives' majority, and an inevitable further GE probably within a year.
if you are 20 points behind in the polls and being slated from all angles and your opponent decides to finish you off by calling an election to cash in on that 100+ seat majority that is apparently there for the taking - when your opponent ends up with no majority at all there is no way you are not going to have a bit of a swagger about you.

The tories clearly miscalculated Corbyn and his team. They thought he was for the taking and he stepped up with a costed and popular manifesto that tapped into the key issues facing many people. He also rose above the horrendous personal attacks from the tories and media which strengthened him. He also worked hard and implemented a strategy to make clear messages across multiple mediums to ensure his message was clear, positive and consistent. He also capitalised on the mistakes by the tories without coming across as opportunist.

Basically, he played a blinder, but May was there for the taking. He can only see this as positive though because he's proven his value with, and with a more united PLP behind him he can definitely make more of an inroad in the next election

Just 2000 votes? where did you read that?... I'm not doubting you, but that figure sounds a bit fudged by me.
that is probably the total margins in all of the most marginal seats where Labour would take a Tory seat with XX extra votes. Still sounds to low but the principal works that with 'first past the post' a few extra votes in the right areas could change the result of an election.

where I live stayed LibDem. Where I canvas in Croydon Central in 2015 it was a Tory seat by 165 votes, in 2017 it has become a Labour gain by over 5,000 votes so that is a big win.

Rather embarrassingly the outgoing Tory had written a book called 'How to win a marginal seat', presumably it will now be reprinted with an additional chapter 'and then lose it 2 years later'

where I live stayed LibDem. Where I canvas in Croydon Central in 2015 it was a Tory seat by 165 votes, in 2017 it has become a Labour gain by over 5,000 votes so that is a big win.

Rather embarrassingly the outgoing Tory had written a book called 'How to win a marginal seat', presumably it will now be reprinted with an additional chapter 'and then lose it 2 years later'
PMSL....I so hope this a true story!.... can you imagine! :smile:

Back