• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Work On The New Training Ground Has Started Today 11th July 2022

Yeah I think they are more groundworkers. So wouldn't imagine they would be involved in building any structures as such. More the pitches themselves, pathways and car park etc.

Still confused as to where the players will base themselves, get changed and do gym work etc, assuming B&L is due to be knocked down on completion of the new pitches?
Green-Standard-Portable-Toilet-3.jpg

I know that the Brighton training ground was about £22 million. Obviously ours isn't supposed to be as outlandish as that, but modern facilities do cost a pretty penny.

Their stadium was just shy of £95 million. Might have to ask Wimbledon for a bit more of they are interested in Dalby!

Jokes aside, one would hope that this is the first huge step for the whole process to be completed successfully.

Let's hope this season matches it on the field.

The new contract has been signed with White Horse Contractors to develop the new training ground pitches and players’ car parking for the club.

That's all.

The new contract has been signed with White Horse Contractors to develop the new training ground pitches and players’ car parking for the club.

That's all.

We really are going to be a pub team!!!

Seriously though, the most positive news in the past 50 years in the "Southend United looking to move to a new ground" saga.

I'm trying not to get too excited!

That's all.
Any journey starts with the first steps, and sometimes they are little steps but if the work continues from 1st phase straight into phase 2 and 3 etc then the destination will be reached?

I know that the Brighton training ground was about £22 million. Obviously ours isn't supposed to be as outlandish as that, but modern facilities do cost a pretty penny.

Their stadium was just shy of £95 million. Might have to ask Wimbledon for a bit more of they are interested in Dalby!

Jokes aside, one would hope that this is the first huge step for the whole process to be completed successfully.

Let's hope this season matches it on the field.
Tony Bloom isn't far off a billionaire, he loves that club too and it's been money well spent. Great chairman who's a fan first and business man second, we ended up with neither. However, if Ron actually delivers now I'll downgrade him from outright crook to Arthur Daley

That's all.
I bet you didn’t even read the rest that states the phases and time scale, either way it’s better than nothing excuse Boots and Laces is in the worst state it ever could be, so a new training ground starting is the best thing that could come around at the moment.

Stop being negative, enjoy the good news and soak some sun in.

This is very good news indeed . The fact that a contract has been signed means that someone has been prepared to put in the £2m finance . I doubt whether it is Ron so perhaps Homes England are in fact backing the project in a meaningful way after all . Happy birthday , Cricko .
Homes England wouldn’t be funding this element of the project though (still a big question mark on that element)

Yeah I think they are more groundworkers. So wouldn't imagine they would be involved in building any structures as such. More the pitches themselves, pathways and car park etc.

Still confused as to where the players will base themselves, get changed and do gym work etc, assuming B&L is due to be knocked down on completion of the new pitches?
I’m no expert on planning, but I seem to recall from the Development Control Committee meeting that there was the potential for temporary facilities to be included (presumably portakabins (and there are a fair number of those at Boots & Laces anyway)) for changing/showering. I think this document from the DCC meeting shows that the ‘Clubhouse’ can’t be demolished until there is an equivalent structure at the new site, so gym-work and team meetings could still take place there, I’d suggest.

I’m no expert on planning, but I seem to recall from the Development Control Committee meeting that there was the potential for temporary facilities to be included (presumably portakabins (and there are a fair number of those at Boots & Laces anyway)) for changing/showering. I think this document from the DCC meeting shows that the ‘Clubhouse’ can’t be demolished until there is an equivalent structure at the new site, so gym-work and team meetings could still take place there, I’d suggest.
That is correct. But I believe the planning application for the temporary facilities was withdrawn by the club not that long ago. Which adds to the confusion.

I'm still confused. Wasn't the application for temporary training facilities withdrawn?

So where are the players meant to get changed, work out, eat etc?.... at B&L and walk down to the new lush pitches from October? That wouldn't make sense as we clearly need to be off that site.

So is a new application going in which will see temporary facilities (changing rooms, gym, kitchen etc) next to the new pitches start to go up alongside?

Will we have nice pitches to do general training on, but have to use a gym etc elsewhere?

So many questions.
Yes , can we be sure that the planning application for the temporary training facilities is dead and buried . Perhaps someone has just decided that they need to be located somewhere different, to improve traffic flow for example, and so a new application will come forward shortly for low cost facilities .

Pretty certain temporary was withdrawn so that leaves us with the permanent option still in place all that we are unaware of is what phase this is in I guess

Pretty certain temporary was withdrawn so that leaves us with the permanent option still in place all that we are unaware of is what phase this is in I guess
Guessing would be that a seperate contractor would be doing next step of building after ground/ grass and car park work done?

Reactions: 8
The players need somewhere to train on October, while Boot & Laces have diggers come in to start the development. Ask our CEO and he got the answers.

Back