• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Work On The New Training Ground Has Started Today 11th July 2022

Is there not a main building with gym, equipment storage etc on this site?
I think that is just for the training pitches at the moment, I’m not sure on the progress/what’s happening with the buildings

I believe some October deadlines for the new facilities have now been pushed back which could cause problems when the team have to stop training at B&L.. A contingency may be needed for a short while
I should imagine the dry weather conditions are playing a part in that.

I believe some October deadlines for the new facilities have now been pushed back which could cause problems when the team have to stop training at B&L.. A contingency may be needed for a short while
My son is now 26 and he stopped playing footie at home with his dad when he was about 9...so my garden is available? My nephew has played once or twice but I'm sure he would be flexible in his busy schedule for the lads :-)

Is that a gypsy site to the left of the lake? A few random vehicles in a field!
The travellers aren't there, but I hope they put in measures to stop them entering, and I don't mean locks, as they use the most powerful angle grinders to easily break them open. They churned up football and cricket pitches in Benfleet with cars and quad bikes, doing donuts, etc, and did damage at David Lloyds Eastwood and Garons putting course. So lets hope they never get in.

I think it's time for a Sherif master class on attenuation ponds and why they are used now. There is in fact another attenuation pond on the main site. Now when my house was built in 1912 the stormwater went straight into the sewer. When we had our extension there was debate with the water board and building inspectors about whether this was on or not. One option was the rainwater to go to a soakaway. In the end it was accepted that it could go down the same way as 110 years ago.

Flood Attenuation Pond.
I think @Dorsetshrimper is wrong that it was intended for irrigation purposes as it is a flood attenuation pond, as you say. But, could it be used for irrigation too? Is there any reason why water can't be pumped from there (assuming there's enough)? That would be quite a sustainable thing to do.

I think @Dorsetshrimper is wrong that it was intended for irrigation purposes as it is a flood attenuation pond, as you say. But, could it be used for irrigation too? Is there any reason why water can't be pumped from there (assuming there's enough)? That would be quite a sustainable thing to do.
Aren't they meant to be dry most of the time? Just filling up during/after rainfall to slow the flow rate into local rivers/streams

Aren't they meant to be dry most of the time? Just filling up during/after rainfall to slow the flow rate into local rivers/streams
I have no idea how they work. It just seems sensible (if it's possible) that when they fill up that water get used.

It's a flood prevention thing, they are a buffer between excess run off (increased due to more hard surfaces after development works) during storms and the main drainage system. They can be used for irrigation too, but in this case it will be required to prevent drainage being overwhelmed if there's heavy rain.

Back