• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Who is the next BBC Essex Commentator?

Did we ever get to find out who's commentating on us as Nicks replacement? Did notice that when Kev was being interviewed yesterday that the BBC microphone was in the hands of a male, didn't really recognise the voice but came across on the youngish side. I know there was someone covering some of the local games last season and I remember thinking he could be a fair replacement for Nick, don't know if it was him though?

Not sure who is covering Southend but would hazard a guess that Paul Clarke would continue with the analyst report and would suspect Victoria Polley may take the reins
April has been asked back and is doing Braintree

Sources tell me the next Essex radio commentary will be provided by US college softball star Rafferty Peddler with added insight provided by, I am hearing, ex Norwich and Southend (loan) full back Kenny Brown. Tune in, turn on, drop out

Last edited:
Please not a screechy women ( just not there thing) even Ned Kelly is better than that!

Didn't mean April, never heard her...meant those on Tv and V. P
And if you do find that April has a woman’s voice? I’d say people like motson and Jonathan Pearce also have screechy voices but you haven’t mentioned them here.

Personally I think VP is good. She tries to keep her voice full of excitement where relevant and feels to me to be well informed. I’d hope she doesn’t see this comment though as it would mean she has seen yours. A few weeks ago the zone was (rightly) in outrage that someone went on social media and slated the young lad from the club shop. Not sure why people feel it’s ok to slate someone just because they don’t like a female voice commentating.

And if you do find that April has a woman’s voice? I’d say people like motson and Jonathan Pearce also have screechy voices but you haven’t mentioned them here.

Personally I think VP is good. She tries to keep her voice full of excitement where relevant and feels to me to be well informed. I’d hope she doesn’t see this comment though as it would mean she has seen yours. A few weeks ago the zone was (rightly) in outrage that someone went on social media and slated the young lad from the club shop. Not sure why people feel it’s ok to slate someone just because they don’t like a female voice commentating.
Great presenter,
Not my cuppa as a commentator tho.

What a touchy lot this year!
This has been done to death before
At the time I said V.P was a good presenter and stand in for Glen Speller but imo ladies commentating on football be it BBC, Sky, B.T are not up to it, an opinion shared by if they are honest 95% of supporters including women…shame we are not allowed to disagree on anything anymore .
Social Media and forums will be shut down next!

My vote would be to import the two BBC Hartlepool guys from yesterday. Knowledgeable, humorous, definitely unbiased and I know what one of them was cooking for his wife's dinner last night as she was working yesterday afternoon he told us all. Works for me. :Winking:

What a touchy lot this year!
This has been done to death before
At the time I said V.P was a good presenter and stand in for Glen Speller but imo ladies commentating on football be it BBC, Sky, B.T are not up to it, an opinion shared by if they are honest 95% of supporters including women…shame we are not allowed to disagree on anything anymore .
Social Media and forums will be shut down next!
So April will not be up to it? The problem with your post is you are generalising across a group which is sexist. And you are ignoring a swathe of male commentators like Phil Neville or Michael Owen who are not up to it and far worse than VP or many of the TV commentators.

So April will not be up to it? The problem with your post is you are generalising across a group which is sexist. And you are ignoring a swathe of male commentators like Phil Neville or Michael Owen who are not up to it and far worse than VP or many of the TV commentators.
They are co commentators, no problem with April doing that👍

Back