• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

personally, I don't see what the fuss is about, after all, all teams have a nick-name, ie, shrimpers. Hulls' nickname is 'the tigers', so whats wrong with that.
That said, Americanisation needs to stop

Quite a bit of fuss about it in Hull.

Go on a Hull City forum and say that you cant see anything wrong with them changing their official name from Hull City to Hull Tigers and see what sort of response you get.

Wasn't Southend Saxons mooted a number of years back?

Southend Nectars? (Sainsbury link)

Yeah the club were thinking of re-branding - I was in two minds saxons I think has so much more marketing appeal but Shrimpers is tradition.

But these plans were shelved years ago

If any club need to re-market/brand then St Pauli are the most impressive model. They created an identity that fans bought into and they achieved it without changing their name, which is always the lazy option anyway.

Having just seen FC Red Bull Salzburg playing in the Europa League how about "FC Snakebite Southend" or am I showing my age now - do people still drink snakebite??

Having just seen FC Red Bull Salzburg playing in the Europa League how about "FC Snakebite Southend" or am I showing my age now - do people still drink snakebite??

They love Red Bull in Austria, you can pretty much go anywhere and see the logo. Although I do believe it started there ...

As for Snakebites, as Lenny said they are still available as deadly but boy are they nice!!

Yeah the club were thinking of re-branding - I was in two minds saxons I think has so much more marketing appeal but Shrimpers is tradition.

But these plans were shelved years ago

Why couldn't he have Saxons in addition to Shrimpers?
Quite a few teams have more than one Club nickname (Man City: Sky Blues & Citizens, Newcastle: Magpies & The Toon, & aren't Bristol rovers call The Gas as well as the Pirates?). We could be know as the Shrimpers & the Saxons? I agree Saxons has more scope marketing wise - maybe we could replace Elvis with Sir ..... The Saxon, and have another fans comp for the name.

Why couldn't he have Saxons in addition to Shrimpers?
Quite a few teams have more than one Club nickname (Man City: Sky Blues & Citizens, Newcastle: Magpies & The Toon, & aren't Bristol rovers call The Gas as well as the Pirates?). We could be know as the Shrimpers & the Saxons? I agree Saxons has more scope marketing wise - maybe we could replace Elvis with Sir ..... The Saxon, and have another fans comp for the name.

I like it. Never understood why he had Elvis J Eel, always thought Eels was a cockney thing too. Also never liked the nickname of "The Blues" as it is so generic.

Back