• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What makes you proud to support Southend United?

What? Nothing those players and amazing staff did, on and off the field, just last season made you proud? Wow. Unless you have a very short memory that is.
Proud to support Southend United? No. Of course I love them all for it and appreciate everything they did to keep the club alive but definitely not pride in supporting Southend, it was embarrassing that they needed to do it. Proud of them not proud to support Southend through all that.

Proud to have supported my local team for 55 years. Have ridden the emotional rollercoaster that is Southend United. The highs, that you should never undervalue and always cherish. The memories of, not just the events on the pitch but shared times with family and friends, some who may not be with us anymore. The lows, which for some may seem to many, especially if you have only known relegation and decline against a backdrop of financial mismanagement and fear for the Club's future. I believe to be a supporter of in footballing parlance a 'small' club in the shadow of Premiership self importance is by far an all round more immersive experience, your accessibility to the players the interaction and closeness between them and the fans is a feeling not known at many so called bigger Club's. I am proud of my experiences and loyalty, Southend United you may have not given me an abundance of silverware over the years but the experience has and still is pure gold for me.

Having been born at home in Wenham Drive, it's been pretty much in my life throughout. Going along to my first match aged 10, with my Dad, up the steps into the East Blues, and I was hooked. The Club is in my blood.
Similar. Dad, Gran, Aunts ,Cousins all seeming to be living in the same house in Ronald Park Avenue. Dad joined Navy ended up in Chatham docks and always took me to see family there and then on to the game. That was it, blood concocted. Used to go to evening games on my own from Chatham at aged eleven, catching trains and ferry. My brother and his sons, my 4 children all Blues, although they dont get there as spent so much time in Japan, Columbia and Argentina. All returned back to Blighty but live far from us, like Newcastle. I wonder what we done wrong? But still have loads of conversations about our Club and my 4 should inherit my wonderfully valued SUGC shares. Thats what I told them anyway

Though I was born in Southend (Guildford Road to be precise) we moved to Stanford-le-Hope when I was 1, and I'm afraid to admit that I initially supported Liverpool! My Dad never supported any specific team, but always kept an eye out on the local clubs (which included London based teams) one being Southend, so I always kept an eye on their results.

I then talked my Dad into taking me to see Liverpool vs Everton in the Charity Shield (some date in the 80s) and loved being at a live game.

We then moved back to Southend, so once I was old enough and as I enjoyed live games, what better way to scratch that itch than going to watch your local side.

When I first started working in 1990, I went to nearly every home and away game, and did so for many years as got the bug big time :)

Though I was a glory hunter in my younger years (please forgive me), I'm proud to support my local club.

Apart from the fact it's in my blood, going back to the days when the club's home was the Kursaal ground, I am proud that as Shrimpers we are part of a relatively small family. Although we have disagreements among ourselves concerning details of the management, the players, the style of play and so on, we nevertheless all stand together in support of our club when outsiders try to ridicule us. We are not the sheep that in their tens of thousands mindlessly follow prem teams, because they consider football below that level is not worthy. We all know the meaning of commitment no matter how tough times get and that's another reason to proudly say you're a Shrimper.

Went to my first game in 1958 aged 11yrs. South Bank Terrace was only 12 rows back then. Been hooked ever since. Seen some wonderful performances...and some awful ones too. Even though I no longer live in the area they are still 'my team'.

Armchair supporter.

In it for nowt else than the titles & trophies.

Actually .... Southend born, first game back in the 70's. Up north for half my life. Live in anticipation for another one of those Freddie, Ian Benjamin, Juppy or Pigott moments. SUFC are my roots.

UTB

I am in the middle of three generations of Shrimpers. My dad followed them from the Kursaal days through to Grainger Road then Roots Hall till 2004. I saw my first game in 1958 and have had a season ticket for over 55 years. My son saw his first match at Roots Hall in the early 1980's. We go together to every home game and a few away.All three of us were born in the Southend area. I am proud to follow my local team and as others have said it means so much more than following a famous prem club miles away.

Had no choice...my dad starting taking to me to Roots Hall as a young kid and I was told in no uncertain terms what would happen if I decided to support West Ham or some other fancy-dan big club.

The proudest I've ever felt was when we beat Man U. I was living in London at the time, watched the game with my best mate in a pub in Aldgate, he was also a Southend exile. The 2 of us in Southend shirts, some plastic Man U fans with their shirts taking the **** out of us at the start of the game. The rest of the people in the pub not caring either way...

At the end of the game everybody in the pub was patting us on the back, congratulating us, laughing at the Man U fans as they skulked out of the pub door. It was a special night.

Back