• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What does success look like this season?

If we finished mid table, how would you rate that?

• Epic failure - Changes to management needed

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Disappointed - Open to change

Votes: 41 26.5%
  • Meh - it's a shame, but progress has been made regardless

Votes: 68 43.9%
  • Who Cares we have our club back, bring on next season

Votes: 30 19.4%
  • Happy - Achieved expectations

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.9%

• Total voters
Genuine question as I'm sure alot of fans would like to know what everyone is thinking for this season

We so far have 1 W 1 L 2 D

But the response from fans has been mixed.

Would I be disappointed with mid-table? Of course I would. I always want us to be challenging further up any leave, let alone this one.

However, would I recognise that we're a club that's been in a right mess for years with lots of work that needs doing? Of course.

I would also acknowledge that we need to steady the ship financially, that we were under embargo for most of pre-season, lost out on god knows how many 1st, 2nd, 3rd choices etc.

Some may say we would have done better last season with a smaller squad, but last season's situation created a particular siege mentality that won't be possible to recreate this time around.

These are not excuses, they are facts. Some people really do need a reality check after seeing a lot of comments in the post-match thread.

I had it in mind that we are generally slow starters to season, so I looked up the last 3 seasons, after 10 games we looked like this

21/22 W2 D2 L6 pts 8 …finished 13th on 58pts

22/23 W3 D3 L4 pts 12….finished 8th on 69pts

23/24 W5 D1 L4 pts 16…finished 7th on 75pts (ignoring the 10pt deduction)

Let’s see where we are in 6 games time once we get up and running but we are tracking to be between 12 & 16 pts on recent results

Surely the management would question themselves if we don't make the playoffs minimum. Anyone with ambition wouldn't accept not having a real stab at promotion this season. I'm expecting a few new faces in the side and once settled in expect us to go on a few winning runs.

I think mid-table with possibly a run at playoffs would be where we are at this season. Of course we would aim to win every game and finish as high as possible but I don't think we are going to be promoted this season even via the playoffs.

COSU were pretty clear in saying they weren't going to splash the cash and that they were going to run the club within its means. With so much to be spent on Roots Hall, the training ground etc. it makes sense that this would result in a smaller budget for player wages.

I would rather this approach after so many years of over-spending and mismanagement that put us in the situation we were in on the brink of extinction. We need to be patient as the club won't be rebuilt overnight.

I would honestly be unhappy with another season in this God awful league, but, with players largely all under contract for another season, I would accept it as a price to pay to get out of it once and for all next season. With our form and circumstances over the last couple of seasons, we've been unlucky to miss out.

Success is getting the players to perform at their best. Winning or losing is not relevant. Promotion is secondary. Performance is key and thus far, last season and this, we are not doing the business. Effort yes, endeavour yes, tactics no.

I cant see us getting out of this league for some years tbh. COSU are not flush with money, spending money on the team does not make much in the way of a return (all the Ron years showed that) the return on anything will be the investment on infrastructure and maximising the revenue on matchdays (getting the fans to spend more) and non matchdays . If that increase in revenue gives return that means COSU don’t have to prop us up every season , then an investment on the playing side may be forthcoming, Any investment specifically aimed at a push for promotion will no doubt have the increased costs of playing in a higher league (wages etc) taken into account (particularly promotion may not mean a significant crowd increase ) our best hope would be several cash boosting cup runs…

Clear progress on the pitch in playing style with learning from mistakes from prior seasons. Definition of stupidity is doing the same things and expecting different outcomes. Improving entertainment value, consistency of performance and seeing the team working hard and a desire to win.

No overreaction here I've been consistent with my views wins and losses.

Don't expect promotion because of the small squad, building depth and focus on investing in the stadium as well as the team.

Of course it would be amazing to be back in the play offs.

Consolidation of COSU, more communications and clarity for all publicly on our plans.

I feel some people's expectations are way too high, as long as there is progress off the field I would be happy, even happier if the club reached the play-offs but expect to fall short. If you want to be sustainable in the long term try not to expect too much too soon. Get it right financially and progress will come on the pitch.

For me, success on the pitch will be bettering last season. We finished on 75 points, so that is the benchmark.

Off the pitch, the rebuilding of community relationships, clearing our debts and ensuring our ongoing financial obligations are met. Basically, returning to functioning like a normal football club.

In addition to functioning like a normal club, it will be good to see us progress in terms of infrastructure. The move onto the new training ground can’t be far away & it would be nice to see remedial work commence at RH - we know the major renovations are still a while off, but we should have things like the fanzone up and running & hopefully an increased capacity.

It`s probably a season of consolidation, rebuild, add players if it`s an upgrade on what we have. More importantly it`s time to experiment, try different options, formations, with a view to next season when we have found the players that are going to push for at least the play offs. IMHO another CAM and an established Striker, when everyone is fully fit, we are not far away.

It`s probably a season of consolidation, rebuild, add players if it`s an upgrade on what we have. More importantly it`s time to experiment, try different options, formations, with a view to next season when we have found the players that are going to push for at least the play offs. IMHO another CAM and an established Striker, when everyone is fully fit, we are not far away.
Surely experimenting is for pre season

Surely experimenting is for pre season
I don`t mean going mad experimenting, just tinker with a different plan, playing a different combination in midfield, etc... IMHO, I don`t think we will go up this season, so, with a full season and another pre season we should be able to have a good go next season, is my point. Without the off field antics we have had in the past, we now have stability and can prepare better than we have in the past.

Back