• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question What are you reading?

Not lpng finished Rory Stewart's excellent political memoir Poltics on the Edge..Particularly good on his time as Prisons minister and Brexit.

Just finished Ann Powers' Travelling :On the Path of Joni Mitcell.A feminist take.Can't say that I enjoyed it all that much .Though The Grauniad did.I remain a great fan of Jm's however.

Just finished reading former Shrimper Mark Patterson's 'Old School' book - would recommend it, unlike many former footballers he can string a sentence together (well, he had help writing it) and there are some good honest tales in it
Just one gripe - I bought it off Amazon for £11.99 and the bugger has now reduced it to £6
UTB

I have just finished reading “A Song of Courage”
It is a true story regarding two sisters Ida & Louise Cook who were British and helped Jewish people during the war who travelled to Europe
There is some talk that they actually worked for the government but nothing confirms this.
It is currently being made into a film so will interesting to see if it moves away from the book.
I couldn’t put this down and this is not my normal read book

Finished Jan Morris's Hav.Intereresting conceit for a travel writer to write a book about a fictional city. :Winking: Another purchase from the car-boot sale in P.

Last edited:
Just finished Andrew O'Hagan's novel Mayflies.Opens with a Scots lads' weekend in Manchester to see OMD,The Fall & The Smiths.Thirty years later it deals with the end of a male friendship in Zurich.Moving .

Just finished J.D.Vance's Hillbilly Elegy.Though it rather pains me it say it it ,this is a much better book than Kamala Harris's recent autobiography The Truths we Hold..Having said that I wish KH the best of British in November.

Last edited:
Jusr finished Holly Pester's The Lodgers.Supposed to be about generation rent.The Grauniad liked it .I didn't.

Last edited:
Been re-reading Claire Keegan's excellent collection of short stories Antartica during the past few days :Some of the strories here are genuinely Chilling.None more so than the title one.

Just finished Irive Welsh'sResolution .Used to be a big fan of his stuff but there was too much about "nonces" and paedos in this for me.

Not long finished Antony Seldon's Truss at 10.On the basis that my enemies enemy is my friend it's an interesting read.Memo to SKS Liz was after growth too when she managed to crash the economy,not long ago.

Last edited:
Phil Ochs - Death of a Rebel, biography by Marc Eliot. Ochs' songs seem more relevat today than ever, e.g 'Cops of the World', 'Love me I'm a Liberal' etc. Funny how those so called protest songs of the 60s stil have resonance now. Prompted me to listen to his albums again and also that led me back to Tom Paxton in the same category. Which got me thinking about that folk music venue at the bottom of Hamlet Court Road, The Studio? Back in the 60s.

Just finished Cristine Dywer Hickley's Our London Lives.This is clearly another contender for book of the year,It starts in !979 and finishes 40 years later.Wonderful read.

Back