• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Wayne Gray

Given the start Gray had to the season I think he deserves some credit for his performances in recent weeks.

After the Rochdale game he was given shedloads of abuse at the final whistle and to be on honest he didn't look that great at all in the first four or five games.

He then had his spell on the bench and when his next chance came along he grabbed it with both hands.

He has looked much faster and keener recently and has laid on some excellent crosses for Eastwood.

Obvoiusly I wasn't at todays game but I'm pleased he got a goal today as it is some reward for the work he has put in recently. If all our players react to spells on the bench like he has, then things are looking good for the rest of the season.

Agreed. Having read from afar about Gray's supposed inadequacies- and fearing the worst during our UK visit - I was genuinely surprised about how well he played when we popped into Roots Hall last weekend for the win against Swansea City. He may not be the most prolific striker in history but his work-rate was excellent and if the entire squad follows his apparent attitude to squad demotion then I feel we can have an excellent season ...

WS

Set up Fredy with 3 great crosses and bagged himself a goal today. Lawrie and Tes may do some bench warming in the near future

Finally there are four strikers at the club, all of which you'd be happy to see in the team. The best thing as far as I'm concerned is that all 6 possible combinations would probably work well together.

to be fair to brushy, he did say at the q&a that he would come good once his confidence had been given a boost. no complaints from me at the mo, id have gray and one other up front

Gray was a serious contender for M-o-M again yesterday. The goal was just the icing on another great performance.

Another player where praise is definitely due not just for yesterday's performance is Hunt. I think Bentley is the preferred choice but Hunt hasn't looked out of place.

After yesterday's performance Che and Jupp need a massive kick up the arse. Prior also made a few mistakes and slipped a number of times in the conditions but the big difference was his battling attitude and together with Barratt he kept us in the game.

I'm happy with the point. Good day out, good company both in the car and in the pub (great food) and back to the first drop off in Basildon by 8.25pm which, in the appalling weather conditions, was amazing.

Wayne Gray was poor at the beginning of the season because he didn't like playing along side Drewe. I have heard that he thought the Drewe was not good enough to play for Southend. Whether it is Bramble or Eastwood, surprise surprise Wayne is now a much better player....
cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Oct. 24 2004,09:45)]After yesterday's performance Che and Jupp need a massive kick up the arse.
Good call.

Should be easy to administer to Che. Just run at him and he turns and runs in the same direction while looking at you. Why why why why? If I tried that for my Sunday league team I'd get dropped.

Jupp, well, normally I'm happy to defend him but he was very poor against a very mediocre Shrews left-side attack. Good in the air, keen to get forward and not too bad at crossing. I am worried by his apparent defensive frailties though.

Nicolau seems the obvious choice for left back. Hunt maybe right back?

You could be right. I'd be happy to see Hunt Prior Barrett and Nicky play as the back four, as long as Pettefer plays left wing to help Nicky out defensively. That way we can get Bents back in midfield and have a bench of Tes, Dudfield, Clark, Che and Edwards!

Is Tes still injured or has Tilly just not picked him for the bench. Bit harsh if it's the latter, as Tes had been playing very well up until his stint in goal which led to his injury.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (BILLERICAY BLUE @ Oct. 25 2004,11:23)]Is Tes still injured or has Tilly just not picked him for the bench. Bit harsh if it's the latter, as Tes had been playing very well up until his stint in goal which led to his injury.
Still injured.

Hopefully, he will be back on Saturday, but even so, I can only see him making the bench against the Cobblers... choices, choices, choices!!!
wink.gif

Apparently, Kightly had a good game for Farnborough on Saturday. I think it will do him the world of good getting first team football. Anyone know how Drewe did on Saturday?

cool.gif

Both were subbed and Broughton was booked, but apart from that there aren't too many in-depth reports on either game yet...

Cheers, Spiff. What I heard of Kightly was courtesy of Essex Radio at half time in our match. Let's hope they both come back fit and ready to push for a place in the squad.

cool.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Oct. 24 2004,17:21)]Should be easy to administer to Che.  Just run at him and he turns and runs in the same direction while looking at you.  Why why why why?  If I tried that for my Sunday league team I'd get dropped.

Jupp, well, normally I'm happy to defend him but he was very poor against a very mediocre Shrews left-side attack.  Good in the air, keen to get forward and not too bad at crossing.  I am worried by his apparent defensive frailties though.

Nicolau seems the obvious choice for left back.  Hunt maybe right back?
Tilly's system of squad rotation is a fair and common-sense solution but I can't help feeling sorry for Andy Edwards. Jupp has had a few poor games so far and must be in danger of being rested/dropped.

Fair point about Jupp, but we haven't really got another natural right sided defender apart from Stu Williams but he looked out of his depth in a few of the friendlies and class in some others.

Hunt would be the net in line I feel or maybe play Che at right back and Nicky at left back? For the moment though, I'd stick with Juppy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (one flew over the cockles nest @ Oct. 25 2004,13:27)]I thought Edwartds could play at right back?
Indeed, isn't that where he played for some of his Southend & Birmingham career?

In addition, I thought Lewis Hunt was used as a right back by Derby...

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 25 2004,13:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (one flew over the cockles nest @ Oct. 25 2004,13:27)]I thought Edwartds could play at right back?
Indeed, isn't that where he played for some of his Southend & Birmingham career?

In addition, I thought Lewis Hunt was used as a right back by Derby...

rock.gif
Does The Eagle still have the pace needed for RB? I would like to see Hunt put in at RB, which would leave the mid slot open for the return of Mr. Bentley

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Technician @ Oct. 25 2004,12:09)]Apparently, Kightly had a good game for Farnborough on Saturday. I think it will do him the world of good getting first team football. Anyone know how Drewe did on Saturday?
According to the official site squad list Jay Smith is on loan at Farnborough as well. Have I been asleep & missed something?
rock.gif

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back