• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

University - Who went, dropped out, passed

Did you get a job using your degree? Did you not like the course and leave? If you don't like the course should you leave or stick it out??

Thoughts guys??

took me a while to find a job, but once i got one, everyone in my industry is looking for grads.

the subject doesnt matter- so if you can change course, do so. the only careers i can think of which demand you stay in the course they require are medicine and engineering...

otherwise, try and find employment- no point sticking anything out if you dont enjoy it

Went, still here. 1 1/2 years left and hopefully moving to London when I leave.

Should always stick it out, you never know what grade you could come out with. Looking forward to my 10,000 word dissertation next year
sad.gif

I got into Bristol Uni but didn't go. Instead choose the University of Life

If your degree is in 'spurious topics on internet messageboards', then keep going. You'll get a doctorate without any trouble whatsoever.

Went to Cardiff Uni back in the days where Polytechnics were not called Universities and people were still p****d off at being made to stay on at school until they were 16 !

Failed the first year and due to the old Grant system, (reasonable amount of money, don't have to pay it back, but 3 years max ) had to find a job. A levels were f***g useless then, unless you wanted to go to uni. Ended up in a job , I could have got into 4 years earlier ! (and I still hate it )

All because a &&*%@ option set up would not let me do 3 science O levels (and therefore 3 science A levels)

And in case anyonee asks , yes I have calmed down after 30 years !

Been accepted into My 2 choice Uni's, Brighton and Central Lanc. to study Sports Journalism, hopefully getting a job either at Sky or with a Newspaper directly after that...

Course at Brighton is my first choice, as its closer to home (And therefor Southend), Is an alright place (Campus is in Eastbourne, not Gay Capital UK) and 90% of all graduates are in full time employment within a year of leaving due to it being sponsored by the NCTJ (National Council of Trained Journalists).

So, Hopefully in 3 years time i'll be getting paid to watch football...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (EastStandBlue @ Jan. 11 2006,14:18)]Been accepted into My 2 choice Uni's, Brighton and Central Lanc. to study Sports Journalism, hopefully getting a job either at Sky or with a Newspaper directly after that...

Course at Brighton is my first choice, as its closer to home (And therefor Southend), Is an alright place (Campus is in Eastbourne, not Gay Capital UK) and 90% of all graduates are in full time employment within a year of leaving due to it being sponsored by the NCTJ (National Council of Trained Journalists).

Brighton will be a lot more expensive, my son is at Preston doing sports journalism, lot cheaper up there but apparently it always rains !!!

No offence intended to anyone (and I'll admit I have not examined the syllabus) but does it really take a 3 year full time university course to teach the skills required for a career in sports journalism?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Jan. 11 2006,14:27)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (EastStandBlue @ Jan. 11 2006,14:18)]Been accepted into My 2 choice Uni's, Brighton and Central Lanc. to study Sports Journalism, hopefully getting a job either at Sky or with a Newspaper directly after that...

Brighton will be a lot more expensive, my son is at Preston doing sports journalism, lot cheaper up there but apparently it always rains !!!
Preston is the exact campus i've been accepted to... I've got to visit there sometime next month. How's he finding things in Preston?
Accomadation at Eastbourne is £85 a week for a large (ish) room with en suite, i'd pay no less going to most other Uni's nowadays.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Jan. 11 2006,14:37)]No offence intended to anyone (and I'll admit I have not examined the syllabus) but does it really take a 3 year full time university course to teach the skills required for a career in sports journalism?
Most courses include skills for all types of Media; Radio, TV, Internet and common Newspaper Journalism and involve a length of time at Work Experience...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Jan. 11 2006,14:37)]No offence intended to anyone (and I'll admit I have not examined the syllabus) but does it really take a 3 year full time university course to teach the skills required for a career in sports journalism?
The Sun course is only 5 minutes (as long as it takes to say "Make it all up")

[b said:
Quote[/b] (EastStandBlue @ Jan. 11 2006,14:39)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Jan. 11 2006,14:27)]
[b said:

Preston is the exact campus i've been accepted to... I've got to visit there sometime next month. How's he finding things in Preston?
Accomadation at Eastbourne is £85 a week for a large (ish) room with en suite, i'd pay no less going to most other Uni's nowadays.
Not too bad, finding hard to get a part time job up there, loads of students --not much spare work.
Cost of living is cheap , halls about standard prices.
Locals not very keen on students tho'

Journo side of the course is great but he is finding the sports side a bit tedious

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Firestorm @ Jan. 11 2006,14:54)]
[b said:
The Sun course is only 5 minutes (as long as it takes to say "Make it all up")
Less than that if you have big tits.
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (West Country Shrimper @ Jan. 11 2006,12:51)]Looking forward to my 10,000 word dissertation next year
sad.gif
It's a walk in the park, Hils. I know it seems daunting, but just make sure you're writing about something you actually enjoy.

I had a similar dissertation in my final year, and ended up having to do some serious editing as my first draft was over 12,000 words...

oops.gif

Oh, and in answer to the question, I went to Uni, got a degree, got a job. Oddly, there is still a demand for lawyers...

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Jan. 11 2006,15:13)] Oddly, there is still a demand for lawyers...
wouldn't believe it the amount of time you spend on here.

tounge.gif
laugh.gif

Yes i went and did an IT degree in 93. Graduated and got a 2:1. Decent enough job and milked Y2K. Now trying to escape!

P.S - Best f*cking years of my life. Just don't p*ss the last year away!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Jan. 11 2006,15:13)]I had a similar dissertation in my final year, and ended up having to do some serious editing as my first draft was over 12,000 words...
I doubt that surprises any Shrimperzone regulars
laugh.gif

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back