• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

U2....best band in general?

Bielzibubz

President
Just been watching 'Nothing but U2' on channel 4 this morning, absolutely effing brilliant!

What struck me though is that imagine you hadn't heard some of their earlier stuff before, if released today IMO they would still all be massive hits. Their songs just don't age, it's incredible.
Take their 1987 hit 'Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For', a classic I think you'd agree, but imagine you hadn't heard it before and they released it today. Would you agree it would still be a hit given the vast and diverse songs and genres out there today?

While I've never been a big fan, I think that between The Unforgettable Fire and Rattle & Hum they were pretty untouchable. All the singles from that period would be hits today even if they were released by an unknown band. Ironically, I think that the singles from the last few albums would be universally panned if they'd been released by anybody else. 'Discotheque', 'Vertigo' and 'It's a Beautiful Day' are the very definition of mediocre IMO and 'Elevation' is quite possibly the worst song ever written by anybody, ever.

For me, 'Achtung Baby' should have been the last U2 album - I believe they've been artistically irrelevant (and living on their reputation) for far longer than they spent at the top of their game.

While I quite like U2 music, Bono is a fuggin tw&t. Along with Chris Martin, Thom Yorke and all these other "help the third world" popstar idiots who preach to us while snorting coke of the arses of supermodels.

And the best band ever IMHO - The Jam...even the Beatles wrote some ropey old songs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MK Shrimper @ Dec. 02 2006,13:29)]And the best band ever IMHO - The Jam...even the Beatles wrote some ropey old songs.
as did the Jam

Beat Surrender was rubbish and Precious plagiarised Pigbag

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MK Shrimper @ Dec. 03 2006,21:45)]Not saying The Jam didn't, but if I had to vote, it'd be them.
Fair enough.

Best band for me were Ian Dury and the Blockheads.

If the criteria for being "the best band in general" means having a couple of decent-ish records 20 years ago and trading off the back of them for the next 2 decades in a quite lazy manner then... yeah... maybe...

tounge.gif

Huge U2 fan, seen them about 5 times over the past 15 years.

Couple of decentish records ?

Joshua Tree was one of the best albums ever created and Actung Baby close behind. However they have had a good couple of albums since then admittedly they havent been able to top those two.

Zooropa was a pile of crap, Id only listen to a couple of songs from that.

Pop was a decent album but personally thought they found their form again with All that you leave behind, and How to dismantle an atomic bomb.

The problem with U2 is the singles they generally release, like Elevation and Vertigo are normally no where near as good as the rest of the songs on the album, but I guess are more radio friendly.

My brother met Bono outside the Savoy a couple of years ago and asked for his autograph. Instead of a simple autograph Bono actually filled the page up by drawing a picture as well. It was kind of a picaso-esque image, possibly a self portrait of how he saw himself at that time. It was sh!t, my 3 year old could do better.

Yes, I have a written affidavit from Bono saying he in no way endorses terrorist organisations. It looks like a sh!t picaso picture drawn by a 3 year old, but Im sure thats what it means.

Bono has on plenty of occassions shown his contempt of them and even on Rattle & Hum he condones an IRA attack prior to Sunday Bloody Sunday.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jam_Man @ Dec. 04 2006,13:55)]Yes, I have a written affidavit from Bono saying he in no way endorses terrorist organisations. It looks like a sh!t picaso picture drawn by a 3 year old, but Im sure thats what it means.

Bono has on plenty of occassions shown his contempt of them and even on Rattle & Hum he condones an IRA attack prior to Sunday Bloody Sunday.
can you scan it and put it on here.. ?
suspect.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jam_Man @ Dec. 04 2006,13:41)]My brother met Bono outside the Savoy a couple of years ago and asked for his autograph. Instead of a simple autograph Bono actually filled the page up by drawing a picture as well. It was kind of a picaso-esque image, possibly a self portrait of how he saw himself at that time. It was sh!t, my 3 year old could do better.
What a stroker.

What is wrong with:

"All the best, Paul Hewson (Bono)"

Back