• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

If we're doing it for a cricketer, what about that footballer who died whilst doing a goal celebration?

Sad, but let's not just spend half an afternoon pouring a 40 for the dead.

As I said on the other thread its a nay for me.

Whist its obviously a tragic event it has no connection to us, our sport or our country.

Mike North (correct Mick?) died in front of our very eyes while refereeing our home match v Mansfield . I cannot recall us marking his tragic demise.

Isn't there also a Mike North fair play award or something?

But back on topic - tragic as it is, no need for any recognition

IIRC when we played Mansfield in the re-arranged game his wife and/or family was there. Paul Durkin was the ref.

And the family got the gate receipts too.

Tragic as the Phil Hughes news is - and it has upset me - I see no reason why there should be any commemoration of his passing at a Southend United game.

I think a minutes applause in the 63rd minute is a lovely gesture. Would the scoreboard operator add something to tell people why we are applauding, or is that going too far ? It would be up to the rest of the fans to join in, if they so wished.

Anyone got a cricket bat (ideally a sponge one so the security guys don't get the hump) that we can lie in front of TBV ?

Mike North (correct Mick?) died in front of our very eyes while refereeing our home match v Mansfield . I cannot recall us marking his tragic demise.

Paul Durkin (best referee in England at the time) was enlisted to referee the rearranged game as has been said above. There was a minutes silence (correct me if it was a minutes applause, I'm near-certain it was a minutes silence) before the game with Mike North's wife and family on the pitch. Impeccably observed. I believe there was also collection buckets on all 4 sides of the ground with proceeds going to Mr North's family. I don't know how much more the club could have done, a very sad event that I hope never to witness at a football match again.

As an Aussie fan of southend, I am really touched by people's compassion response to Phillip Hughes' tragic passing.
The relationship between football and cricket is strong as many sportsman have played both and often had choose between which they would play as a professional.
i certainly, like many on here, support both: loving nothing more than getting one up on you guys.
The sporting relationship and rivalry is one of the best and our English heratige is still strong; so any acknowledgement and condolence is totally appropriate.
While I don't feel the team is obliged to do any thing more than acknowledge and express their condolence: a more significant support like some that have been suggest here, would be recieved by myself as helpful in our shock.
To have the team I love and support honour one of my countries sportsman is an incredibly compassionate gesture and one I would be delighted to have happened.

I don't think the club need to involve themselves in this. If we want to do a minute's applause on the 63rd minute then we do it, if we don't want to join in, we don't. Simple, really. I would suggest that, if it's started, the majority will join in.

I am sure most , if not all, cricket matches will honour this young man.

It is sad but if he have a minutes silence/applause for everyone in sport who dies we might as well start all football matches at 3.01 or 7.46

My brother in Melbourne attended the APL match yesterday between Melbourne Victory and Adelaide United. He told me in the 63rd minute there was a minute's applause which is only right..... in Australia.
Obviously an awful tragedy and although it would be a nice touch, I don't believe it should be done over here.

Last edited:
it's a real shame and it shows how easy an accident in sport can take a life, as for applause and tributes...well I'm not sure for my money we don't do enough in this country to remember the poor souls who lost their lives in the Bradford Football Fire, its only next year that its going to get some sort of headline, which is fcking tragic

My brother in Melbourne attended the APL match yesterday between Melbourne Victory and Adelaide United. He told me in the 67th minute there was a minute's applause which is only right..... in Australia.
Obviously an awful tragedy and although it would be a nice touch, I don't believe it should be done over here.
Maybe if the side has players with Australian links, I know federici put a cricket bat out next to his goal

Back