• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

As the sports world comes to terms with the tragic accident that took the life of Phil Hughes, what does the Zone think
about suggesting to our club that they change the squad number of Captain John White to 63.
Different sport I know, and not even sure it can be done at this stage of the season, but it would be a great gesture!
Maybe even donate any profits on additional shirt sales to charity. Just a thought!!

This is awesome guys. Words can't describe how Australians are feeling at the moment. Anything that is done by the club and the fans will be greatly appreciated. #RIP #PhilHughes #63notout

Awful thing to happen, got to feel for Sean Abbott too, you go out and bowl a bouncer and end up killing someone. Anyone dying like this is tragic but the fact he looked like he had such a bright future in the game somehow makes it hit home more. Really fancy the Aussies for the world cup now, massive motivation.

Its a times like this that sport comes together, rivalries are put to one side. This was a young man playing the sport he loved and right at the top level, in all formats of the game. He died in the most freakish of ways. People lose their lives everyday, but when it is someone famous and a sportsperson it seems to hit home far more. I played cricket in my younger days, way before helmets were 'a must wear item' and to think that this could have happened to anyone and now possibly to my own son is an horrific thought. Certainly a minutes applause wouldn't go amiss, even if the football league don't recognize this im sure the blue voice can orchestrate it on 63 minutes!

Awful thing to happen, got to feel for Sean Abbott too, you go out and bowl a bouncer and end up killing someone. Anyone dying like this is tragic but the fact he looked like he had such a bright future in the game somehow makes it hit home more. Really fancy the Aussies for the world cup now, massive motivation.

Abbott is getting plenty of support. The outpouring has been amazing for both people.

It's a horrible, horrible thing that has happened but we don't need a minute's applause. As well intended as these suggestions are we don't need to change John White's shirt number or make any gesture. It's not going to bring him back, it's not going to help his family or friends who Australia are rallying around in their own Diana moment. This isn't so much about coming to terms with his death but about coming to terms with your own mortality.

Don't mean to sound at all rude and I do have every sympathy here. No one should die playing sport and it is tragic but

a) People die in sport all the time and we don't start swapping captains numbers around
b) its a totally different sport
c) Its a totally different country

I share every sympathy but if you start making gestures like this we would be forever doing it. A guy died in India doing a backflip after scoring we didn't do anything for him and he played the same sport as us

We must loose 100 fans a season through death but we do nothing for them so with all respects and I mean that its a pretty pointless thing to do for my mind.

Don't mean to sound at all rude and I do have every sympathy here. No one should die playing sport and it is tragic but

a) People die in sport all the time and we don't start swapping captains numbers around

I share every sympathy but if you start making gestures like this we would be forever doing it. A guy died in India doing a backflip after scoring we didn't do anything for him and he played the same sport as us

We must loose 100 fans a season through death but we do nothing for them so with all respects and I mean that its a pretty pointless thing to do for my mind.

A voice of reason.

Maybe a simpler tribute would be what is trending on twitter at the moment #putoutyourbats. Perhaps just lay one or bats in the centre circle during the warm up. Simple but effective.

Actually, we quite often do, when made aware.

I'm not keen on changing shirt numbers of our players, etc.

Having a minute of applause at the 63rd minute, the score he was on when the incident occurred, wouldn't go amiss; we have many cricket players, and followers, myself included, amongst our fans and I'm sure they would like the opportunity to show their respects.
If it were to happen then I'm sure many would join in, if you don't wish to join in then no one is forcing you.

Although i understand your point, if you are true lover of sport as many of us are then you will understand why there is such an outpouring of emotion on this. To compare some guy doing a back flip in football, which he didnt need to do is in no way a comparison to what happened to Phil Hughes. I dont think swapping a shirt number is the right thing to do, however, if people wish to applaud on 63 minutes as a mark of respect then surely thats a personal choice

Not being disrespectful, it's an awful tragedy, but it has nothing to do with Southend United. Minute's applauses are overdone these days.

I agree with most posters on here, Phil Hughes death is a great tragedy for Australia and cricket. If each and every sport were to acknowledge the death of every sportsmen that lost their lives playing the sport they loved, sport would not function as every game they would become a memorial.

The majority of people know what happened to Phil Hughes was an absolute freak of an accident and in their own way would deal with this in their own way.

Here in Australia and through the cricketing world they are acknowledging the tragedy of Phil Hughes death. Tonights A-League football game the crowd had a minutes applause to mark Phil's passing at the 63rd minute.

I think we're all being dictated to by the media on how we should feel and how we should react to death.

Although i understand your point, if you are true lover of sport as many of us are then you will understand why there is such an outpouring of emotion on this. To compare some guy doing a back flip in football, which he didnt need to do is in no way a comparison to what happened to Phil Hughes. I dont think swapping a shirt number is the right thing to do, however, if people wish to applaud on 63 minutes as a mark of respect then surely thats a personal choice

With all due respects to the death of a cricketer it has no more or less effect on me than when any decent human dies. A woman I used to work with died of cancer last week. I feel sorry for her like I do the cricketer but that does not mean we need to honour her with a minutes silence.

If he was from the town, played for Essex etc I would get it but this is a harsh as this seems just another death.

Actually, we quite often do, when made aware.

I'm not keen on changing shirt numbers of our players, etc.

Having a minute of applause at the 63rd minute, the score he was on when the incident occurred, wouldn't go amiss; we have many cricket players, and followers, myself included, amongst our fans and I'm sure they would like the opportunity to show their respects.
If it were to happen then I'm sure many would join in, if you don't wish to join in then no one is forcing you.

The close friends do something got the fans that die (Fatso a minutes applause, I have seen flowers on seats before) but the club does nothing and probably rightly or they would be forever doing it.

Agreed. But that doesn't mean we should all also want Southend United to do anything formal.

As I said on the other thread its a nay for me.

Whist its obviously a tragic event it has no connection to us, our sport or our country.

Back