• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Today's Ratings

Ayrshire Blue

The Custard Splat
Flahavan - 7 - Didnt have a great deal to do, had little chance with the goal
Francis - 7 - Attacked and Defended very well
Clarke - 7 - Usual performance, no nonsence at kicked a ball out the ground
Barrett - 7 - Same as Clarke but kept the ball in the ground
Mulgrew - 8 - MOTM for me very composed on the ball, superb set piece deliveries.
Walker - 7 - Would of been 6.5 if he hadnt of got the goal, looked a little out of place for me on the wing.
Moussa - 7 - Looks like he's going to be a fantastic player, possibly his best game for us, maybe should of scored.
Macca - 7 - Looked a little scared to put a tackle in, didnt want to get injured or suspended.
Robson - Kanu - 7.5 - Great first touch, dont think he was 100% though.
Revell - 6 - Very Dissapointing
Hooper - 7.5 - Looks a completly different player, so much stronger, looks up more when he has the ball, takes people on and makes great runs in behind.

Bailey - 8 - Got stuck in well, complete opposite to Macca
Gower - 8 - What a turn around in form, great running with the ball.
Barnard - 7.5 - Can't remember any clear cut chances for him but works extremly hard for the team

Difficult to score players today Mulgrew stood out but apart from that i've seen more passion in a pre season friendly.......neither keeper had a save to make in 90 minutes........

Walkers 1st touch is appalling by the way

hooper 7.5?
what did the bloke do apart from duck a goal scoring header? 3 would be generous.

Admittedly things were shaken up for the game today but it shouldn't have had such a drastic effect on the team who were, frankly, poor for most of the first half. Port Vale looked a reasonable side, totally belying their position in the table.

Flavs - 6, looked out of sorts to me, twice got into difficulties in his own box with defenders challenging for the same ball as him.
Francis - 7, some very nice touch football, some great tackles as well
Barrett - 6.5, good enough, unlucky to get booked
Clarke - 8, MOM for me. Confident and assured, got in some great attacking moves and made an excellent cross from our left hand side in the 2nd half
Mulgrew - 7, composed and confident, good free kicks as usual
Robson-Kanu - 6.5, clearly not 100% but did ok, nothing spectacular
Moussa - 7, thought he had quite a good game, over shadowed Macca completely in the 1st half, great height for headers, unlucky not to score
Macca - 5, not at the races at all today, this was the Macca we saw around Christmas time
Walker - 6, let down by his first touch time and time again, made more of things in 2nd half after the substitutions with some good positional play, don't think he really knew anything about the goal
Hooper - 6.5, thought he did pretty good, still looks a bit intimidated when wearing the blue shirt but played some really good balls with Moussa
Revell - 6, jury still out, looks able and so much better than when he first came, but nothing quite seems to come off

Subs:
Bailey for Macca - 7, what an improvement, although he has to stop going in two footed, thought he was going to pick up a booking within 5 minutes of coming on
Gower for Robson-Kanu - 7.5, just looked like he was going to make things happen, great to see him back to his best
Barnard for Hooper - 6.5, wanted to see him with Hooper not replacing him, did well and looked threatening

Officials - 7, thought they did pretty good, although should have come down hard on the PV "dying on the deck" tactics, and the west stand lino missed a cast iron handball in the penalty area for us.

Its people like you, who knock his confidence
He's come back from Hereford buzzing and he's got people on his back allready

Yes, there were audible and obvious signs of impatience from some areas of the crowd when things didn't come off for him - give the lad a break!

Flahavan - 7 - Didnt have a great deal to do, had little chance with the goal
Francis - 7 - Attacked and Defended very well
Clarke - 7 - Usual performance, no nonsence at kicked a ball out the ground
Barrett - 7 - Same as Clarke but kept the ball in the ground
Mulgrew - 8 - MOTM for me very composed on the ball, superb set piece deliveries.
Walker - 7 - Would of been 6.5 if he hadnt of got the goal, looked a little out of place for me on the wing.
Moussa - 7 - Looks like he's going to be a fantastic player, possibly his best game for us, maybe should of scored.
Macca - 7 - Looked a little scared to put a tackle in, didnt want to get injured or suspended.
Robson - Kanu - 7.5 - Great first touch, dont think he was 100% though.
Revell - 6 - Very Dissapointing
Hooper - 7.5 - Looks a completly different player, so much stronger, looks up more when he has the ball, takes people on and makes great runs in behind.

Bailey - 8 - Got stuck in well, complete opposite to Macca
Gower - 8 - What a turn around in form, great running with the ball.
Barnard - 7.5 - Can't remember any clear cut chances for him but works extremly hard for the team

How anyone was worth an 8 today beggers belief. We were s***e to put it politely!

Its funny but i said to the bloke next to me at the game that if Hooper didn't score today, people will be moaning their ar$es off saying league 1 is too good for him etc.

Overall team performance was nothing more than a 6/10 but tbh I wasn't expecting any better. Both teams didn't really have anything to play for and our team selection proved this.

Its people like you, who knock his confidence
He's come back from Hereford buzzing and he's got people on his back allready
I wouldnt slag him off at the game so unless he reads this i am not knocking his confidence, but be honest, and give me 3 examples of something he did well today. And if you were sitting in the South Upper you would have been astonished as to why he ducked out of an open goal header.

we went through the motions today, as if the game didn't matter ... which may be true ... but thats back to back "can't be ar*ed" performances now ... i just hope we can shake this lethargy before next week

I wouldnt slag him off at the game so unless he reads this i am not knocking his confidence, but be honest, and give me 3 examples of something he did well today. And if you were sitting in the South Upper you would have been astonished as to why he ducked out of an open goal header.

1. Some great interplay between him and Moussa early 2nd half south west corner in particular

2. Great head back across goal in 1st half, that only just missed a connection from (I think) Revell

3. A great run again in 1st half, all the way from defence out but unfortunately checked to allow others time to catch up

i think the biggest plus is that Donny could have won to be promoted but didnt play well enough which must mean they are on a downer at the minute. 2-0 at home and a 1-0 defeat away and roll on Leeds in the final.

1. Some great interplay between him and Moussa early 2nd half south west corner in particular

2. Great head back across goal in 1st half, that only just missed a connection from (I think) Revell

3. A great run again in 1st half, all the way from defence out but unfortunately checked too allow others time to catch up

Sorry OBL, you are clutching at straws here. He did nothing when he was here before and looks like doing nothing again. Hopefully I will be proved wrong but I cant see it at the mo.Why did he duck the header?

Ok we are in the playoffs, and ok we have every chance of getting to wembley, but today Tilson tried a few players who would probably be knocking on his door for a game.. Quite simply against one of the worst teams in our league they couldnt take their chances. Ok, Hooper has been doing it for Hereford, and I was dying to see him in the line up today... and he was.. and he was exactly the same as he was before he left

Very disappointing..... indeed

Sorry OBL, you are clutching at straws here. He did nothing when he was here before and looks like doing nothing again. Hopefully I will be proved wrong but I cant see it at the mo.Why did he duck the header?

youre right on the mark. he guy is just never going to be any better than a decent L1 striker (at the moment a good L2 striker) and i feel we should be aiming higher than that. Barnard and him are similar players in that they both try and run off the shoulder of the last man but their success rates are different and whereas Barnard is always in the right place at the right time, Hooper is never there at the right time. If Southend get offered 200k plus for him in the summer, i would bite their hand off

At least I could name 3 things - you'd struggle to find 3 things from Macca in that performance. Don't remember the header, is it possible someone else called for it?

Just want to add, enjoyed seeing the guys all walking round at the end with their kids - Charlie Mulgrew with his little baby, bless! Someone sign Mark Gower's little boy up - the kid was fantastic with the ball!

Last edited:
Sixes all round apart from the following
Darryl 5 - a very uninspiring display
Clarkey 7.5 solid
Barrett 5.5 plays the sweeper role so well. just a shame we don't play a sweeper system - lucky to stay on the pitch imo
Moose - 7 the one midfielder that put himself about - marked for effort more than quality but this boy has a great future.

Flahavan - 6
Francis - 6
Clarke - 6
Barrett - 6
Mulgrew - 6
Walker - 6.5
Moussa - 7
Macca - 6
Robson Kanu - 7
Revell - 6
Hooper - 7

Bailey - 7
Gower - 7
Barnard - 6

Don't remember the header, is it possible someone else called for it?
The cross came in from the right it seemed all he had to do was jump and inch or two and nod it in, but he appeared to duck. Couldnt understand it.

3. A great run again in 1st half, all the way from defence out but unfortunately checked too allow others time to catch up

Oh and I think you made them all up lol, unless my failing memory is letting me down again.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back