• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Andy_S

Member of the Barry Corr Fan Club
Not been back long and I thought I'd post some snippets about today.

Whoever decided we should go and play that team of thugs managed by that crook should not decide who we play next pre season. It was a complete waste of a friendly.

Not many positives to come out of today it has to be said. Winning is about it actually.

We were very poor, but probably scared stiff of getting injured and half the team, especially in the first half clearly didn't want to be there. I've never seen Maher so disinterested.

Hammell's injury looked pretty serious, but lets just hope it was precautionary. They spent a good 4-5 mins treating him before he went off with his right leg in a brace. The tackle was scandalous yet only received a booking.

Quite why Foran received his red I'm not so sure. Yes he came charging in but McCormack seemed to be the worst offender out of the pair of them. Pinault had to go.

Best players:

Flavs: Although there were the usual worries from crosses.

Hooper: By a long way the best of the 4 forwards used. He has to start next Saturday.

Gilbert: His cross which lead to Hoops' goal was the only proper bit of quality on show today.

Harrold: Despite the fact he still refuses to jump and is not nearly strong enough against the type of defender he faced today, Matt didn't do too badly. He even went on one solo run past 2 or 3, which included a Cruyff turn!

Misses:

I'll put it down to the fact he only signed this morning, but Richards was pretty poor. He clearly lacks pace, which is a worry. Anyone think off in the distance he looked like Bentley!? Too many long balls punted down field, but again it must have been difficult for him to be thrown in like that.

Che was horrendous and all over the shop. Their goal was completely down to him.

Bailey, goal aside, wasn't great again and didn't look match ready.

At the end of the day though it was a terrible game, refereed terribly, against a terrible team of thugs, so these comments should all be taken with a pinch of salt!

Whoever decided we should go and play that team of thugs managed by that crook should not decide who we play next pre season. It was a complete waste of a friendly.

Not many positives to come out of today it has to be said. Winning is about it actually.

We were very poor, but probably scared stiff of getting injured and half the team, especially in the first half clearly didn't want to be there. I've never seen Maher so disinterested.

Hammell's injury looked pretty serious, but lets just hope it was precautionary. They spent a good 4-5 mins treating him before he went off with his right leg in a brace. The tackle was scandalous yet only received a booking.

Quite why Foran received his red I'm not so sure. Yes he came charging in but McCormack seemed to be the worst offender out of the pair of them. Pinault had to go.

Best players:

Hooper: By a long way the best of the 4 forwards used. He has to start next Saturday.

Gilbert: His cross which lead to Hoops' goal was the only proper bit of quality on show today.

Harrold: Despite the fact he still refuses to jump and is not nearly strong enough against the type of defender he faced today, Matt didn't do too badly. He even went on one solo run past 2 or 3, which included a Cruyff turn!

Misses:

I'll put it down to the fact he only signed this morning, but Richards was pretty poor. He clearly lacks pace, which is a worry. Anyone think off in the distance he looked like Bentley!? Too many long balls punted down field, but again it must have been difficult for him to be thrown in like that.

Che was horrendous and all over the shop. Their goal was completely down to him.

At the end of the day though it was a terrible game, refereed terribly, against a terrible team of thugs, so these comments should all be taken with a pinch of salt!

Not long been back myself and I would say your summary of the game is 100% spot on.

Completely and utterly scandalous display from Crawley Town "football" club, they were hell bent on roughing our players up, and clearly had no comprehension that this game was supposed to be a friendly.

The challenge on Hammell was a disgrace, although there was one earlier which was even worse than that, which went almost unpunished. From where I was sitting in the stands, it doesnt look too good for Hamell - his face was completely etched with pain, and it would not surprise me if that was a broken leg he suffered - how can that be allowed to happen in a friendly? If I was Tilly I think i would have taken my team off there and then and refused to play any more.

As for Foran, well from where I was sitting, it looked like he aimed a punch in the direction of Pinault, not sure if it connected, but I dont think the referess had any choice to send him off - but after seeing what just happened to one of his best mates, I can understand fully why he did what he did, even if not endorsing that vehaviour. Singh lost the plot by then thoough, he needed to get there captain and tell him to calm his team down, but he did not.

Regarding positives, well as you say, there was barely any, apart from the result. The performance was dire, although I think alot of that was down to not wanting to get injured before next Saturday and the extremely hot conditions.

If I am forced to pick some out, I would say Hooper looked very sharp when he came on, the move for Bailey's goal was superb, completely opened them up, and I thought Gilbert looked class - especially coming forward.

Harrold did well enough, and battled hard, and as you say, it was a Cryff like dummy he managed to perform - although not sure it was intentional!!

Che looked absolutely shocking, which is a worry for next week, and Gary Richards didnt look that great either - he seemed hell bent on whacking 80 yard balls over the top of there defence - i think someone needs to tell him thats not how we do things at Roots Hall :)

Still, roll on next Saturday when we no longer have to deal with the mindless thugs and idiots which try to pass themselves off as professional footballers!

Clearly the Steve Evans influence has hit them already. I know who I want to suffer relegation from the Conference this season.

Nice little ground though in a nice enough setting. Shame about what "graces" their pitch though.

Anyone else think Tony Scully looked younger than he did when with us!? His fitness is still the same though.

My bullet point thoughts...

• Nice, tidy ground. 500 there today.
  • My MoM would be Hooper -- I thought he got the final touch on the goal, but the announcer gave it to Maher(?)
  • Bailey's goal was well taken following a good move.
  • Contrary to above, I thought the new Colchester player did well. He's a muscular presence.
  • JCR tricksed his way round the pitch in a few flashes of skill.
  • Don't know why Foran got sent off. I only saw their red-card no.8 kick out at McCormack.
  • Ref was rubbish.
  • Ashley Bayes in goal -- got some stick!
  • Harrold -- no thanks.
  • Wilson -- v. rusty.
  • Remainder -- nondescript.
  • Crawley were a bit over the top in quite a few tackles, but we were also guilty of leaving feet in on challenges.

In short, not too much to choose between the teams. I hope we play better in the League...

Last edited:

Best players:

Misses:

At the end of the day though it was a terrible game, refereed terribly, aga a kitten.inst a terrible team of thugs, so these comments should all be taken with a pinch of salt!

Oh dear, Hooper actually looks like the only forward looking for space and movement, as for the ginger one, forget it, crap in the air, weak as a kitten. As for Tilson, what does he look for, both new center halves are useless end of story, i don't have to wait the 6 months that he is talking about to know they just aint got it!

Wiggy, did you go today? If you didn't how can you comment on Richards?

If you did, how can you rate him after one game?

Oh dear, Hooper actually looks like the only forward looking for space and movement, as for the ginger one, forget it, crap in the air, weak as a kitten. As for Tilson, what does he look for, both new center halves are useless end of story, i don't have to wait the 6 months that he is talking about to know they just aint got it!

Glad to see you've given Richards (Who has joined today, and this was probably the first time his played for the team, let alone trained) and Zoltan (Who has came here from a completely different country and can't understand the language) plenty of time to settle in.

What I would say for Richards was that he wasn't shy of talking and organising his fellow defenders, even if he has just met them this morning.

ugly.jpg

Best players:

Misses:

I agree with the above apart from the part when you called them thugs, yes there did seem to be some terrible fouls from them, but do you not think it could have something to do with the different levels of football both teams play?

As for long ball what was that all about the build up play was great good few passes then one big kick up the pitch

I agree with the above apart from the part when you called them thugs, yes there did seem to be some terrible fouls from them, but do you not think it could have something to do with the different levels of football both teams play?

No, not at all. I think it'd be quite disrespectful to say every team in the Conference plays like that because, well, they don't!

Back