• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

He'll certainly need to do some amazing work at non-league level to ever get back in to the 92.
He did "amazing" work with us and that fact will remain on his CV, I would think it's common knowledge in the football world that he was badly shafted by RM and had his hands tied, don't think our relegation will be seen as his fault. Lincoln was his big mistake, was always on a hiding to nothing there, but when you need a job it's tempting to take on something you wouldn't normally touch with a barge pole.

He did "amazing" work with us and that fact will remain on his CV, I would think it's common knowledge in the football world that he was badly shafted by RM and had his hands tied, don't think our relegation will be seen as his fault. Lincoln was his big mistake, was always on a hiding to nothing there, but when you need a job it's tempting to take on something you wouldn't normally touch with a barge pole.

Doesnt matter though, every year there are players retiring so more people trying to get one of just 92 jobs.

Tilson is unlikely to get offered anything above league two, so that leaves 24 jobs he can realistically apply for. Despite what he achieved here, even if you took away the Lincoln affair he would still find it tough to get a job.

I'm still surprised he wasn't offered or took the Chelmsford job when Holdsworth left.

Of course he did and nothing would ever stop Tilson from being on my personal list of all-time Southend greats. He's a stick-on for the top three until such time as another manager does something really really amazing like get us in to the Prem

But as Jam_Man says, his reputation has taken quite a battering and he'll need to take the hard road back. It would no doubt help if he was more of a 'name', either through having a more prominent media profile (please see Allen, M) or having had a top flight playing career. Such is football.

Ironically his only chance to get back into The Football League is probably going to be with us should we find ourselves in a genuine crisis. Stepping in on a temporary basis should we find ourselves suddenly leaderless for whatever reason - and then winning 3 or 4 games on the trot and earning a longer contract. Unlikely I grant you but probably his only possible shot.

Canvey sacked Tilly last summer so chances of him getting a managers job in the football league are very very unlikely.

Might be worth doing what John Gregory did and manage abroad for a bit. I know Tilly is a family man and seems like he doesn't want to be too far from Essex but if he is serious about managing at a professional level mate seeking a job overseas may help.

Might be worth doing what John Gregory did and manage abroad for a bit. I know Tilly is a family man and seems like he doesn't want to be too far from Essex but if he is serious about managing at a professional level mate seeking a job overseas may help.
That's a good shout !!!!

He did himself no favours by taking the Canvey job. Before that he'd done well at Southend and failed at Lincoln. He may have got another shot at league football if he's waited.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back