• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Theo to Swindon

Apparently our bit is some way off what Brighton and Swindon have offered...

“Theo did well when he was at Southend last season but if they want him back then they are going to have to offer quite a bit more money.” (taken from the echo)

Link to the echo

This story frustrates me too. Mr Martin was only saying not too longa go that we would be quicker in the transfer market than we were last season. Already clubs like Swindon have secured two and possibly three if it is true about Robinson. Tilson only mentioned yesterday that 2 defenders were his priority... There needs to be more action and less of the talk.... if they have a list of targets, why aren't we being linked to anyone. Other clubs links seemed to be seen in the media except for ours.... Why?

I look forward to seeing Theo grace the County Ground pitch if the rumours are true… Billy Paynter by the way was great great for us last season so cheers for that, set up most of Cox’s goals..

Does make me laugh people saying "messing with their financial stability" yes we went into administration twice. We were taken over last year and have 2 of the wealthiest men in League One backing the club now. Sir Martyn Arbib is worth over £300M, that’s not to say he wuill put that into the club ofcourse. We are not skint anymore and are financially sound, CVA paid and solvent. We are better off than most clubs in L1 nad are one of the richest now, but we wont spend stupid money.

Even with Simon Cox who is worth £2.5M we would be actively shopping him if it’s the case that we were skint and needed money see the article below.

ANDREW Fitton has again warned the clubs coveting Town player of the year Simon Cox that only a "very special offer’’ will prise the 32-goal striker away from the County Ground.
Cox looks likely to become the subject of a looming bidding war following Fitton’s confirmation that Town had two fresh offers for the 22-year-old, one from Coca-Cola League One champions Leicester City and the other believed to be from Scottish champions Celtic.
The Championship-bound Foxes look certain to test Town’s resolve again, chairman Milan Mandaric admitting that Cox was high on their list of summer transfer targets.
But Town chairman Fitton confirmed: "The club has had a number of contacts both verbal and in writing from interested parties, but none of those offers have been accepted.
"We’ve had two written offers and it’s true that those weren’t offers that we’d be likely to accept.
"It’s going to take a very special offer to prise Simon Cox away. He’s a class act and comfortably the best striker in the division.
"We have no need to sell him and we have no desire to sell him, but equally it’s part of our job to help develop players and then allow them to move at the agreed time."
Cox has a year to go on his current contract and the club have not given up hope of persuading him to extend his stay
But the future of the player has been at the centre of months of speculation with manager Danny Wilson admitting that it was "unrealistic’’ not to expect heightened interest in the ex-Reading frontman over the summer.
Last season Cox, who has scored 47 goals in 88 appearances for Swindon, was the subject of a believed £500,000 bid by League One rivals Huddersfield.
Town rejected that out of hand, but Premier League basement boys West Brom, Bolton, Hull City top flight-bound Wolverhampton Wanderers and Championship outfits Queens Park Rangers and Bristol City have also been among his suitors.
Celtic meanwhile, are also thought to be interested in Cox's teammate, teenage defender Sean Morrison.
Leicester though have made plain their interest, Mandaric saying: "He is a quality player and Nigel (Pearson, manager) and his staff think highly of him.
"We are interested but we are facing competition. He is on a shortlist.
"We are at a time when we are approaching that situation and I think we should know more in a few days."
Meanwhile, Fitton has confirmed that defender Lescinel Jean-Francois has agreed the terms of a new contract, but has not yet signed it. Phil Smith and Craig Easton are still mulling over their offers.​

I can't speak for everyone here, but personally I couldn't give a **** about what Andrew Fitton says about Swindon Town on our Southend United forum.

On another note: Swindon's local paper reports a fee of £275k. Glad we're not in for him at that price.

Last edited:
Gargh! Revell is a very good player at this level. Massive work rate and commitment and will chip in with 8-10 a season at least. A good foil for a poacher.

Said it time and again, my current SUFC side would be Revell + A.N.Other starting up top every time.

really???

I respect your opinions and you share the same as many on here, but for me a really average forward that might occasionally make my subs bench, (but only if he hadnt travelled the week before and the whole first team squad had been killed in a car accident)

275k is the new asking price apparently (I can't post a link from my phone but check google news if you don't believe me ). At that price we're better off out.

What i dont understand about this, is that Brush said that nothing will get sorted until Watford sort their managerial situation. Now we here that he probably will be going to Swindon. Why does our club not tell us the trith rather than feed us rubbish!!

but surely you can see through all this bull5hit paper talk that we keep getting palmed off with??

I nearly choked on my food when I read tyeh echo a month back and RM was sitting down with Peter Clark to thrash out a new contract

Don't both brighton & swindon have new owners? That usually brings a cash injection and they'll be looking to win over fans with a few splashy signings.

I'm sure we'll make the best offer we can for Theo, if we don't get him it's not the end of the world.

agree with this post, I remmeber the arrival of Ron, Jon Main and geoffrey all those years ago and the substancial signing of Barry connlon it was at this point I new these Guys meant business

Gargh! Revell is a very good player at this level. Massive work rate and commitment and will chip in with 8-10 a season at least. A good foil for a poacher.

Said it time and again, my current SUFC side would be Revell + A.N.Other starting up top every time.

I've a feeling that this may become something of a mantra, but consider the accounts. A six figure fee is a lot to splash out on a youngster who scored a goal every three games on loan - while we were on top form. I'm not dissing Theo, he's a great prospect, but we shouldn't be mortgaging our future on him.

In agreement with you both there.

The quoted fee for Robinson is far too much, and we also do not know what Swindons' Mr Moneybags put on the table in terms of wages, signing on fee, and other 'sweetners'.

It may not be that our management team are just not doing anything, but are being sensible and working within realistic limits, meaning spending £275k on a player whose position is least in need of strengthening is not top of their priorities.

I will not be loosing too much sleep over this one; if Swindon signed Dervitte for £150,000 it would be a different story.

I've a feeling that this may become something of a mantra, but consider the accounts. A six figure fee is a lot to splash out on a youngster who scored a goal every three games on loan - while we were on top form. I'm not dissing Theo, he's a great prospect, but we shouldn't be mortgaging our future on him.

so therefore why did we buy alex revell he has never got near 1 in 3

so therefore why did we buy alex revell he has never got near 1 in 3

I like and respect Revs as a person, but as a footballer I would have to agree with you. The game has moved on - pace and intelligent decision making are far more important than physical presence for a club looking to progress and play at a higher level, IMO.

275k is the new asking price apparently (I can't post a link from my phone but check google news if you don't believe me ). At that price we're better off out.

_41958276_deborahmeaden203bbc.jpg

If we sign him fair enough but if we don't then I'm still happy as long as we sign a half-decent goalscorer who is going to stay FIT for most or all of the forthcoming season.
But isn't that the precisely the issue we've bumbled along with for the last couple of years

1) goalscorers don't grow on trees & even
2) decent goalscorers especially don't grow on trees & even
3) half-decent goalscorers we can afford don't grow on trees & even
4) half-decent goalscorers who stay FIT certainly don't grow on trees near Southend.

Revell, we bought when he was needing an operation
Walker, we tried to buy & then he nearly croaked, then we bought him & it's been one thing after another
Barney, was cheap for a reason
Dougie, could have passed away for all I know
Laurent, well he's French so that explains it all! but by the management's own admission not fit enough for English football when he arrived
Furlong, probably the fittest of the lot but another who's face didn't fit I assume

Theo IMO is a decent prospect & lets face it he's only 20 (actually 20+1 day when we signed him) so there's a lot of potential for improvement & at that age 1 in 3 isn't bad. The £275k rumoured from STFC I'm sure would be inclusive of add ons.

But hey, we were willing to pay £200k up front for James Walker! I know what option I'd prefer.

Are they serious? A whopping £275k for a player who although is lightning quick is the greediest player we've ever had? As I said before I also didn't like the style of our play when Theo was in the side compared to the kind of free-flowing attractive football we had played under Tilly since 2004. I wasn't fussed whether we got him or not at around £100k, but at up to £275k I'm definitely glad we're out of the running at that price. Crazy money.

As long as get a striker who is a half-decent goalscorer and can stay fit for long periods then I'm happy, well done RM and Tilly for refusing to pay over the odds for Robinson.

:clap:

Are they serious? A whopping £275k for a player who although is lightning quick is the greediest player we've ever had? As I said before I also didn't like the style of our play when Theo was in the side compared to the kind of free-flowing attractive football we had played under Tilly since 2004. I wasn't fussed whether we got him or not at around £100k, but at up to £275k I'm definitely glad we're out of the running at that price. Crazy money.

As long as get a striker who is a half-decent goalscorer and can stay fit for long periods then I'm happy, well done RM and Tilly for refusing to pay over the odds for Robinson.

:clap:

you keep on mentioning this... Barney has scored a ton of goals playing alongside Theo, so you're 'greedy' argument doesn't really hold. We create a lot of changes with Theo, and some he misses, some he's better off passing... but both Theo and Barney have better than 1/3 records when partnered together.

I wouldn't spend £275k on him, that's a crazy price.. but there is a lot of interest so think we'll miss out

edit - http://www.shrimperzone.com/vb/showpost.php?p=968888&postcount=25

5 goals each in 11 games together

I like and respect Revs as a person, but as a footballer I would have to agree with you. The game has moved on - pace and intelligent decision making are far more important than physical presence for a club looking to progress and play at a higher level, IMO.

can't agree with that. Just look at England who are transformed largely due to building their attacks through Heskey, and he hasn't had any pace for a couple of years.

But isn't that the precisely the issue we've bumbled along with for the last couple of years

1) goalscorers don't grow on trees & even
2) decent goalscorers especially don't grow on trees & even
3) half-decent goalscorers we can afford don't grow on trees & even
4) half-decent goalscorers who stay FIT certainly don't grow on trees near Southend.

Revell, we bought when he was needing an operation
Walker, we tried to buy & then he nearly croaked, then we bought him & it's been one thing after another
Barney, was cheap for a reason
Dougie, could have passed away for all I know
Laurent, well he's French so that explains it all! but by the management's own admission not fit enough for English football when he arrived
Furlong, probably the fittest of the lot but another who's face didn't fit I assume

Theo IMO is a decent prospect & lets face it he's only 20 (actually 20+1 day when we signed him) so there's a lot of potential for improvement & at that age 1 in 3 isn't bad. The £275k rumoured from STFC I'm sure would be inclusive of add ons.

But hey, we were willing to pay £200k up front for James Walker! I know what option I'd prefer.

It's all about opinions mate but I'd have to disagree, yes goalscorers don't grow on trees but we do have goalscorers at this club and good ones at that. We don't need someone massively prolific (not that Theo was anyway) as if they can get a good pre-season behind them and stay fit then Barney and Dougie are more than capable of somewhere between 15 and 20 each in this league throughout the course of a season. I was encouraged by the fact Barney managed to stay fit for the remaining couple of months which is a start, and Freedman has never been particularly injury-plagued during the rest of his career so hopefully with some rest and a proper pre-season behind him he can get that thigh problem 100% sorted. They showed what a great partnership they could be together in those 4 or 5 games before Dougie tore his thigh against Orient and if they can get back to that then that would be my first-choice pairing anyway. Aside from that we have the likes of Laurent and Revell who are good supporting acts so to splash up to £275k on Theo when other positions are in far greater need of strengthening would be foolish in my opinion. Am I alone in my view of also not enjoying watching the style of play we adopted when Theo joined anywhere near as much as pre-Robinson?

I understand why you mention the likes of Walker (plus Paynter/Foran etc too IMO) but I don't think that's a very fair comparison in terms of outlay as there's no way any of them were worth their substantial fees. If the money spent on them was considered good value for money then Robinson would indeed be worth up to £275k. Fact is they weren't, far from it. I'd expect a better player than Theo to come in if we'd paid that much and I think there will be others on here who think the same.

Back