• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future The Takeover - Very very close.

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely this.

We are in a bit of a state I think.

Ron can't exactly take a leap of faith and just go for it unless he has got 100% guarantee in place about the new properties at FF. If he does and they don't grant it, he's lost pretty much everything (aside from whatever he gets from the sale) and we won't get our 20m either.

I can't see how the council can (legally and properly) give him that guarantee without planning permission being sorted, which is nowhere near happening as I don't think he's even put the plans in.

If it doesn't progress and the deal collapses, he then owns RH and FF, won't fund the club and we will have no option but to fold I would imagine. He can then sell both plots for development (albeit after a fight).

Please someone tell me I'm wrong or have missed something.

I’d say it is the other way round. Ron stands to lose everything. He must have creditors banging on his door regularly (did he ever pay his criminal lawyers?). His only way out of his hole is to sell the club. He doesn’t have planning permission to build at FF without a new stadium. He won’t get planning permission altered if he lets the club die as it’ll be too toxic. If the club dies he won’t have a tenant at RH. The covenant is still there and the council are showing interest in the future of the club like never before. Time is running out for him. He’s had health scares. He likely doesn’t have the time, the energy nor the finances to fight a lengthy battle once more.

The consortium paying his bills has been a godsend for him. If they threaten to stop where does that leave him? The only thing going for him is that he thinks he now has the consortium hooked as they’ve poured money in.

I think we’re coming to crunch time. Rent at Roots Hall will be due Boxing Day - does that change the amount that needs to be written off? Players wages on the 29th(?). If this rumbles on much longer will they need a further share issue? If wages are late do the NL deduct points?

He’s the one who needs to take a leap of faith. He’ll continue to bluff as that’s all he has left but once the consortium call his bluff he’s finished.

The one thing that may save him for now is if the Consortium need him to get his deal with the Council. It may be in their interests for to have a watertight agreement with the Council. That way they can fund the club & redevelopments by borrowing against the £20m that’s due from him.

Isn’t planning at FF dependent on SUFC as it’s green belt ? ie no football club no PP ?

PP at FF is dependent on a replacement stadium being built first. But as no one other than SUFC be a viable tenant it is de facto dependent on SUFC.

I think someone has said that the covenant is now null and void, but there is a planning condition/s106 agreement that stops any redevelopment at Roots Hall until there is another stadium of similar capacity (hence why there was the 10,000 3-sided plan at FF) which has the same effect.
The first part of the question was always who could enforce and whether they would.

I think the Council have now shown that they would. Whether that would have been the case pre-Tilly when we were getting crowds half the size, I’m not so sure.

They may be struggling to get answers from council officers - there will be many on annual leave this week ! (and next)
I suspect this may be closer to the truth than many of the other worst case scenarios and conspiracy theories that have been bandied about.

It might be the simple fact that these things involve lawyers, paperwork, officers and indeed the Martins. Someone might be slow to get back on a query, someone might be on annual leave. I suspect there is heightened alacrity but at the end of the day it is Christmas and people are winding down.

There may be nothing more sinister to it than that.

Is this fact or in fact just more speculation? What are his ridiculous quests? God I will be pleased when this is over. I was sat in my seat Sat on the verge of exploding more than once on Sat. I feel so sorry for Kev and the players at this point. Seems they are the only ones we can rely on to do their job..
Who ****ing knows anymore , everything is in the ether.... We are but shrimps awaiting the dressing. Haha that even sounded like bollocks to me, but honest it was Shakespeare.

I suspect this may be closer to the truth than many of the other worst case scenarios and conspiracy theories that have been bandied about.

It might be the simple fact that these things involve lawyers, paperwork, officers and indeed the Martins. Someone might be slow to get back on a query, someone might be on annual leave. I suspect there is heightened alacrity but at the end of the day it is Christmas and people are winding down.

There may be nothing more sinister to it than that.
And there are lots of people sick right now too.

I bet Kev and the players wish they could have a Xmas break instead of having to address a congested fixture list....come to think of it I wish I could- but I have stuff to deliver for clients...

There's been weeks to get all this sorted...
The blame lies with Ron as well but people are entitled to have their break.

I bet Kev and the players wish they could have a Xmas break instead of having to address a congested fixture list....come to think of it I wish I could- but I have stuff to deliver for clients...

There's been weeks to get all this sorted...
No good digging out last years **** presents from your relatives,,you should have thought forward.

I could suggest that this is mainly being discussed amongst the ruling administration and that information is not being passed on to other political groups at the council. I mean...what if senior councillors from other groups ask questions directly of Ron and he doesn't reply? That might indicate that Tony Cox and his crew are keeping this to themselves? I could suggest that.

Who ****ing knows anymore , everything is in the ether.... We are but shrimps awaiting the dressing. Haha that even sounded like bollocks to me, but honest it was Shakespeare.
I never get involved in speculation.
I read the comments because most people on here have a great scence of humour.
😂

I could suggest that this is mainly being discussed amongst the ruling administration and that information is not being passed on to other political groups at the council. I mean...what if senior councillors from other groups ask questions directly of Ron and he doesn't reply? That might indicate that Tony Cox and his crew are keeping this to themselves? I could suggest that.
The leader of the labour group said he wasn’t being told what was going on and was trying to find out. He also agreed there should be an update and he would press for that.

But since that yesterday there has been tumble weed with it seems AF and all councillors of all persuasions going to ground (unless someone knows otherwise if there’s some communication somewhere?).

Anyhow you are right at this precise moment it doesn’t seem to be a “cross party” process. I don’t know if that matters.

Has anyone here spoken to AF? Councillors?

The whole debarcal is becoming more and more depressing by the day At present all i can see is our club is slowly sinking into the quick sand .And the council Ron martin is not throwing a life line to help If things are not sorted of soon the club may go under And that will be so sad for everyone who has battled to save the club .

So it is Ron who is holding things up

Who hasn't the protests started again

People outside his house and all

Surely surely he is the one who wants to sell it

I knew he wouldn't go quietly

Just a load of s hit from him as usual

Getting people to pay his bills

He is a 70 year old man ffs
What time can you get there ? Ever fan should do their bit

What time can you get there ? Ever fan should do their bit
He is 70 years old .he has run the club for 25 years Well Ron martin .I am also 70 yrars old And ive supported Southend united for 58 years I seen chairman come and go And you are one of the worst chairman we have had bar one ANTON JOHNSON And he was crooked .But you are running a close secpnd to him .

Just a little more on my "input" on the match thread yesterday.

Now the Cricketer's has gone and having tired (literally) of long treks to an alternative boozer a friend and I went in the Blue Boar for the first time in about 40-odd years. I am impressed that it has now become a real "home pub" but it was a bit too packed for an old boy like me now.

Anyway, I spotted Justin Rees in there and pointed this out to my friend who is genetically far more personable than me so, just as we were going, he said "hello" to him. I thought that that would be the sum total of our "chat" but JR was very enthusiastic to talk to us and seemed very open.

One of the main points that came out in a very short chat was that the consortium have now put in too much money for the deal to fail.

When I asked him if, as I only live round the corner from RM, he wanted me to stick something nasty through his letter box, he said that they were now waiting on the council rather than RM. I did not feel it was my place to ask what the problem was, though.

He spoke about SUFC being more than just 11 blokes kicking a ball and how he wanted it to become a real community asset.

And as we (my friend and I) had been reminiscing about the "Liverpool FA Cup game" we mentioned this to JR and he had never heard about it. When I mentioned the 31,000 attendance he was amazed and said that that couldn't have been legal. I told him that the South Bank was massive in those days and, of course, the ground was mostly all standing.

He then said something that I have not heard mentioned elsewhere. He said he was very keen on investigating the possibility of "safe standing" areas as he himself preferred standing at football matches. Asked my opinion I said I was now too old to stand, or indeed do much else, for 90 minutes but that it would be a very popular idea amongst many other supporters.

Finally, he said that one of the drawbacks of owning the club would be that he would have to be on his best behaviour at matches.

I liked him, and believed him and, having met a number of former chairman/owners over the years, feel that he will be a breath of fresh air.

But then what do I know?
Great image from the Liverpool game at Roots Hall for you Justin. SUFC's Stead, Moody, Dudley, Liverpool's Dalglish (of course) and the best ref in the business at that time (and probably today) Keith Hackett.

Attachments

• 7972ef30-4bea-11ee-a884-a11685bf7ec5.jpg
    7972ef30-4bea-11ee-a884-a11685bf7ec5.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back