• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The soundtrack of your life

Well here goes for my list!!!!

late 70's early 80's  :

Rappers delight - SugarHill Gang
I don't like Mondays - Boomtown Rats (holiday in Wales)
Town called Malice - The Jam
Shut Up - Madness

Mid 80' Late 80's  :

How soon is now   -  The Smiths
Close to me   -  The Cure
Smokey Robinson  greatest hits   (Motown moment)
Blue Monday - New Order

Early 90's to mid 90's

You Love Us   -  Manic Street Preachers
Anything by The Stone Roses
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Silent All These Years   -  Tori Amos
What do i do now   -   Sleeper
Animal Nitrate       -  Suede
20 - Travis

Presently -

Most listening to TOM MCRAE  (good Essex lad and great songs) , The Kinks  and bands such as The Killers, Stereophonics   etc

well here goes for me:

0 - 13

Grew up listening to parents playing Frank Sinatra, Johnny Mathis and Perry Como before being forced to share room with older brother so had to listen to Ska / 2 Tone ( Specials / Selector / Madness / Bad Manners ) then Punk / New Wave ( The Jam / The Clash / XTC / Blondie ) then finally New Romantics ( Spandau Ballet / Duran Duran / Heaven 17 / Haircut 100 / Adam & The Ants ).

13 - 16

Started school and just really went with the flow, listening to whatever classmates had on their Walkmans ( Michael Jackson / Simple Minds / Pet Shop Boys / U2 / Dire Straights ). Bought first ever 7'' single with own pocket money - Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr.

16 - 22

Started work and had colleagues of various ages - the older ones were still listening to Punk / New Wave and the guys around my age got me into Indie - Neds Atomic Dustbin, Carter USM, Wedding Present, Sultans Of Ping, Wonder Stuff, Kingmaker and Pop Will Eat Itself.

A guy called Malcolm lent me his entire Smiths back catalouge and I discovered New Order for myself after buying the original 12" of Blue Monday. Started to get into Manic St. Preachers.

22 - 28

Heavily into Manics and Britpop, made regular weekend visits to Camden and particulary the Good Mixer pub in the hope of bumping into Graham Coxon, Johnny Menswear or Danny Goffey. As Ron Manager will testify, a very good few years for music and gigs. Discovered The Fall.

28 - Present

With the rise of manufactured pop, Pop Idol and boybands ( not to mention the crapness of the Manics  
sad.gif
 ) music took  somewhat of a backseat - would listen to the radio but would rarely buy an album ( Massive Attack / Primal Scream / Super Furry Animals / Supergrass just about ).
But then, suddenly, the rise of a 'New Wave' of guitar bands caught my interest again - Strokes, White Stripes, Hives, Franz Ferdinand, Razorlight, Arctic Monkeys to name but a few.

Still listen to the old New Wave / Indie from time to time, and it's amazing to hear so many of today's bands 'borrowing' so heavily from them.

So there  
cool.gif

The true confessions that are Weetabix

0-11 years

Sifting through panters collection

Wild Thing - The Troggs
Little Arrows - Leapy Lee
Hippy Hippy Shake - Swinging Blue Jeans
Go Now - The Hollies
Norwegian Wood - The Beatles

First ever purchase
Blockbuster - Sweet

11-17

First Album
The Specials - Specials
Strange Town - The Jam
Millions Like Us - Purple Hearts
Time For Action - Secret Affair
Maybe Tomorrow - The Chords
f%&k It!! The Jam period
Gangsters - The Specials
Mod and Ska in general

The I discovered,

My Generation - The Who
Green Onions - Booker T
60's Mod and Ska in general

Then a strange thing happened

17 - 30

Pink Floyd
Jethro Tull
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Bon Jovi
I rocked and rocked and rocked and etc................

30 - now

Classical
Still rocking
Still a mod
Still a skin
Still a p%&shead table dancing fat bloke (thanks Bob)

Thank you for proper music

First songs I remember;-

wonderful dream~ Anne Marie David
My Old mans a dustman~ ?
Ernie~ Benny Hill
Where's your mama gone.~ ?

Pre Teen stuff;-

Shang a Lang ~Bay City Rollers
You Must Be Joking ~Flintlock
Ride A White Swan ~T Rex
My Oh My~Slade

Teens;-

Never Mind the b******s ~Sex Pistols
Smash It Up~Damned
First Album~Clash
At the Edge~Stiff Little Fingers
First 2 Albums~Specials
All their videos ! ~Madness
Highway To Hell~ AC/DC
The Wall~ Pink Floyd

Late Teens;-

War On the Terraces, oi Oi Oi ~Cockney rejects
ACAB, Chaos, Sorry ~ 4 Skins
We Are the League Album ~ Anti Nowhere League.
Follow The Leaders~Killing Joke

20 and to 40;-

Stone Roses 1st~ Stone Roses
Definatley Maybe~ Oasis
Levelling the Land~ Levellers
Wayward Sons ~ Skyclad
October rust~ Type O negative

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sebastian Weetabix @ Feb. 02 2006,21:38)]Sifting through panters collection
Seb, I have an awful vision here. Please tell me it was a typo.

laugh.gif

Loads of songs have loads of different memories. Here's a few that always have a certain connotation for me.

Bruce Springsteen - 'Dancing In The Dark' - my little sister being born

Faith No More - 'Midlife Crisis' - had just got MTV and a whole new style of music was opened up to me

The Smiths - 'Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now' - the first time I got really drunk

The Jam - 'That's Entertainment' - played at my Dad's memorial service

Underworld - 'Born Slippy' - first term at university

Cast - 'Guiding Star' - a glorious, sunny, first summer term at university

Pixies - 'Here Comes Your Man' - a big tubby bloke who was in my hall in the third year

Basement Jaxx - 'Romeo' - a lad's holiday in Majorca

The Killers - 'Mr Brightside' - a great holiday in New York

Franz Ferdinand - 'Jacqueline' - sung a lot by me and my fellow stags in Berlin last year.

0-10

Adam and the Ants – Prince Charming
Spandau Ballet – Gold

11-15

Rick Astley – Never gonna give you up
George Michael – I want your sex
Prince – Starfish and Coffee
Depeche Mode – Everything Counts
Happy Mondays – Loose Fit

16-19
Pink Floyd – The Wall (listened to it again and again)
Saturday Night Fever – The Soundtrack (still partial to some disco)
The Doors – Strange Days
Carter USM – 1992
Primal Scream – (Anything on) Screamadelica (first spliffs in the garage and all that)
Ice Cube – Today was a good day (Ice Cube is always worth a re-visit)
Leftfield and Lydon – Open Up
Snoop Doggy Dogg – Doggystyle
Rage against the Machine – Bullet in the head
Lenny Kravitz – Heaven Help
Radiohead - Creep
The Levellers – One Way? (First track on Levelling the Land)

19-24
Hugely into club scene and begin to DJ at parties etc. All house music, barely listened to anything else for 4 years…

DJ Misjah and DJ Tim – Access
Direckt – 2 Fat Guitars
Daft Punk – Da Funk
Alison Limerick – Where Love Lives (heard for the first time in Privilege in Ibiza at about 8am. Top night top moment.
Mory Kante – Yeke Yeke (hardfloor remix)
Carl Craig – The Climax
Strings of Life - Rhythm is Rhythm
Jam and Spoon - Odyssey to Anyoona
Jestofunk - Love in a black dimension
Masters at Work - To be in Love
The Verve – Lucky Man
Manic Street Preachers – Design for Life
Underworld - Born Slippy (Uni memories rather than the track. Defined a whole year)
Bassment Jaxx - Red Alert (Saw Bassment Jaxx live at Back to Basics in Leeds just prior to this coming out in front of 400 clubbers. Totally blew me away....)

24 – 27
Similar story to Leeboy. I stopped clubbing so much and as work came along I no longer had the time to hang around dance music shops all day and now I was in a suit I didn’t really have the inclination either. Brief stab at trying to get into the record industry before realising that I couldn’t afford to live on £9k like the sons of public schoolboys could. So job came first……musically reverted to old stuff as there wasn’t much new stuff around that I liked amidst the sea of boy band tosh. Some wicked lads holidays in this period so most memorable tracks are cheesy ones that will always make me smile. There is no way I'm putting "Got to turn around" on this list though, Spandau Ballet was bad enough!

28-30
The Streets – Don’t mug yourself
Mylo – Drop the Pressure (Memories of Mylo gig last year - amazing moment when he played this - backdrop kicks in with DROP THE PRESSURE and 2,000 people go apesh!t)
Chicane – No Ordinary Morning (what a track)
Feeder – Just the way I’m Feeling
2 Many DJ’s – 2 Many DJ’s  (surely the best mix album of all time?)
Fatboy Slim – Star 69 (what the f%&kf%&kf%&kf%&k.memories of a beach party in Brighton)
Johnny Cash – Hurt
Hard Fi, Gorillaz etc these days..........

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smudger @ Feb. 13 2006,10:40)]Carl Craig - The Climaz
My God, what a single that is - surely a contender for the greatest dance track of all time. Haven't heard it for ages but I'm going to dig my copy out as soon as I get home tonight
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (hexagon_sun @ Feb. 13 2006,11:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smudger @ Feb. 13 2006,10:40)]Carl Craig - The Climaz
My God, what a single that is - surely a contender for the greatest dance track of all time. Haven't heard it for ages but I'm going to dig my copy out as soon as I get home tonight
smile.gif
Would have to agree, as a production it's just genius - breaks and builds without a hint of cheese.....

By the way, remember reading a few years back that Giles Peterson paid £250 for an original copy!

smile.gif

Back