• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News "The hardest week I've had" - Shrimpers boss Maher

Cardwell is better than many CFs in L2. He is a massive loss. Kensdale is more easily replaceable. We've always managed to source decent CBs or unearth gems like Harry Taylor.

I wonder what happened to our parachute payment 🤷‍♂️
I suspect a lot of money which could have been spent elsewhere, went into trying to maintain the Academy in the hope of bounce-back.

Can't help feeling like this season is already over but there's a long way to go and feel so much for Kev, last week was very tough and it's so refreshing when someone is honest.

I really thought all our hard times were over but last week proved how a club can mini self implode and again have to fight back and please this time let's not blame the 🤡 I really don't think we can lay OK's misdemeanor or the travel fiasco at his feet and Cards going to a promotion rival was hard to stomach, he is a big loss.

Well said Kev and I really hope you soon get stability to the squad, fit players, proper transport to away games and some time without drama 🤞 to concentrate on events on the field. UTB 💙
After all the angst and worry about the takeover, I think many fans thought once it had gone through and with COSU at the helm the good times would roll straight back in. I fear Nick12 is right, thev season is going to be long and difficult, likely disappointing.

Trouble is, we really were in the brink of oblivion, which has left us vulnerable to the smallest of setbacks. The additional months it
took for the rat to let go has hurt us badly!!! Bye bye automatic promotion before the season even got started! A total rebuild right through the club is needed, with time, effort and money needed by the bucketload to get the infrastructure back into place, taking away resources that the team needs to be able to compete. So when we ended up keeping Cards, it came with a risk of losing him, so we knew it was always possible. What is hard for Kev to take is him going to one of the other clubs in the national league. We were already on the lookout for another striker before this. The Kensdale situation in the same week is terrible, but in a fully functioning club that would have been far lower impact. The bigger impact is losing JD, he will be a huge loss for Kev.

We need to taken off the rose tinted glasses, face the reality of playoffs at best this season (again - thanks Ron). We need to get behind the team, and behind COSU, as we are need to rebuild the plan before we have a hope of getting the success we all desperately want to see.

Still can’t work out why we are potless?
A massive consortium and we can’t plug the gaps with reasonable players and they won’t even make a statement…..all very weird?

We aren’t potless.

My guess, priorities are seen elsewhere. Getting the training ground fit for purpose, which is now appears to be with us training there. I don’t believe we have changing facilities there yet.

We’ve seen loads of people saying that on the field stuff is the most important, and then in same post saying that fans won’t return because of the poor facilities. So which is more important?

New beers have come in, which has meant the two games I’ve been to I’ve had a pint or an alcohol free beer at the ground and not gone to the Railway like I’d normally go too. I’ve probably spent more money inside Roots Hall this season than last.

We’ve had people moan they haven’t been able to bring their fish and chips and M&S meal deals into the ground (not knocking these people by the way) so we need to improve the catering facilities to ensure these people walk past the fish and chips and the M&S garage and eat in the ground. All of these helps with our plan of becoming sustainable.

We need to increase our spend as fans inside the ground/club shop on a match day to drive our revenue streams. As a business point of view, that is just as important as those three points come 5pm on a Saturday.

I’m one of those who assumed once HE had gone everything would be okay. Appears even the waving of a magic wand (is a boomerang an equivalent?) it will still take a while to get out of the mess HE left behind.
The loss of the centre forward and central defender in the same week is a kick in the whatsits for Kev but let’s look forward. Using the new training ground (although not fully functioning) is a positive, an extra week for the new boys to bed in might be positive

Saying that, I would like a first month update from the new owners
Am I asking too much…….probably

Yes you can travel by train on the day but why leave it so late to leave? Should have left much earlier in the morning incase something like that happened. It’s poor organisation to really chance it that that particular train will be fine.

If i was a Flyde supporter would've been pretty annoyed game called off for that
The topic's been done to death and the last thing we need is a Torquay supporter stirring things up again, thank you!

Cool. Anything on the actual comment about the poor organisation to allow that to happen? Although apparently no discussion is allowed on a discussion board so no worries 👍

I'm impressed you have the technology in Devon to construct a reply.

Anyway, Ive put you on ignore. Thanks for taking part.

I think our club is not in a position to splash the cash this season. Think the loss of cards and Ken’s is a massive disruption to the team and have to accept this season is a rebuilding one.
If we make the playoffs great, but I for one would accept mid table this season.
Think our pot has to be spread thinly, as money needs to go to improving facilities at the ground and training facilities.
It’s frustrating that we can’t bring in the players we need just now. But it’s not as bad as the last 12 months have been.
I’ve come to accept our situation is what it is and we need time to stabilise the club.
However the lack of communications from our overlords has been very disappointing. A few statements cost’s nothing. But it would mean a lot to the supporters.

Cool. Anything on the actual comment about the poor organisation to allow that to happen? Although apparently no discussion is allowed on a discussion board so no worries 👍

Poor organisation would end up with relegation to the NLS......Not a train breaking down that has nothing to do with our club.

As for Fylde fans, I dare say they were excited about their biggest day of the season. They will get all that excitement again on Tuesday night in a few weeks.

Thats the whole point of travelling by train. You travel on the day to save an overnight stay.

Of course you already know this and all the benefits by not doing overnighters. So why have you made it your personal crusade against the idea
'Personal' and 'crusade' are emotive.
My stance centres on the practical. But OK, let's make it personal.
Humour me @rigsby, but if you were getting married or attending a funeral/important appointment in Fylde early Saturday PM, would you travel the same morning by train from London to make sure you were there on time?
The latest stats suggest 28% of trains do not arrive on time, so, clearly headed towards a third unreliability.

Yes you can travel by train on the day but why leave it so late to leave? Should have left much earlier in the morning incase something like that happened. It’s poor organisation to really chance it that that particular train will be fine.

If i was a Flyde supporter would've been pretty annoyed game called off for that
Not so much organisation the issue, but gambling on the reliability/punctuality of the train?
I travel frequently on GWR, and have been paid nearly £800 in five years under their Delay Repay scheme. Haven't checked exactly, but about one in three journeys affected: the same as the national average.

Humour me @rigsby, but if you were getting married or attending a funeral/important appointment in Fylde early Saturday PM, would you travel the same morning by train from London to make sure you were there on time?
The latest stats suggest 28% of trains do not arrive on time, so, clearly headed towards a third unreliability.
Do you get married 50 times a season?

The vast majority of trains that are delayed are delayed under an hour. Had it only been delayed an hour they’d have made the game ok.

Southend fans are welcome to discuss what they like, and you'll see from how busy the forums are and how diverse the opinions are that discussion is encouraged.

Away fans are tolerated (and occasionally welcomed) if they have something constructive to add to a Southend message board. We have examples of Blackpool fans being very supportive, even some Orient and, dare I say, Colchester fans have received positive feedback.

You, however, seem to come on here to chirp and wind us up and come across as still bitter that the National League didn't kick us out and so save you from relegation. I don't blame you for feeling like that as I am passionate about my club too. However, please understand that this is a Southend message board for Southend fans - not a general football message board for all football fans - so if you come on here and start chirping at us or putting us down, you will get push back.

Cardwell is better than many CFs in L2. He is a massive loss. Kensdale is more easily replaceable. We've always managed to source decent CBs or unearth gems like Harry Taylor.

I suspect a lot of money which could have been spent elsewhere, went into trying to maintain the Academy in the hope of bounce-back.
Cards is a good striker at this level but no way is he better than many league 2 forwards. For example you have Ellis Harrison sitting mostly on the bench at MK who's miles better than Cards.

Do you get married 50 times a season?

The vast majority of trains that are delayed are delayed under an hour. Had it only been delayed an hour they’d have made the game ok.
C'mon...the point is they needed to make it on time, and by chancing it on the train, there was always going to be an element of doubt.
You saw that, of course?
PS. Why 50? There are 23 scheduled away games the last I looked.

OK......If I was getting married in Fylde I would consider diving under the next train.....Even if it was going to arrive 8 minutes late

I think sometimes some fans forget what level we are playing at.Cardwell isn't near any of the top forwards I have seen over the years for Southend but at this level I have been really impressed by him and he is a big loss.He is strong holds ball up and is fairly quick and decent finisher.I think only his injury record has stopped him from advancing his career further.FGR obviously rate him at this level given the wages he is allegedly getting

Back