• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News "The hardest week I've had" - Shrimpers boss Maher

Kevin Maher is making sure to look forward to what’s to come after a difficult week that culminated in the postponement of last weekend’s game.

The departure of Harry Cardwell to Forest Green Rovers and the travel issues that prevented the match at AFC Fylde from taking place summed up a tough few days.

Head Coach Maher said: “It was probably the hardest week I’ve had here if I’m being honest despite everything that went on last year.

“It was a long week for us last week and then it was obviously disappointing with what happened, but it was completely out of everyone’s hands. I feel for the fans who travelled up to support us as they always do, and they’re the ones that you think of most.

“The Club travelled up a lot on the train in League One and League Two. What you cannot do is foresee what happened.

“Unfortunately that did happen, but we always try and prepare right and there’s a lot of games coming up, so rest and recovery is almost as big as training and any bit extra we can get, we’ll try and do that. It’s gone now and we’ve got to focus on what’s coming.”

The current difficulties are added to by a number of injuries, which Maher gave specific details on as well as emphasising the importance of more new signings. “Josh [Walker] will be at least a couple of weeks, Danny Waldron will be 6-8 weeks and Oli Coker will be 4-6 weeks, so that’s three big players out.
“It’s a very difficult market at this time of year because no one wants to let players go and people have got their squads together.”

“We wanted a good crack at it this year and we’ve got to work extra hard now. It’s not just bringing players in, it’s getting them up to speed with the system and how we work. We’ll continue to work as hard as we possibly can.”

He did manage to bring in Bim Pepple and Keenan Appiah-Forson on Friday. “With Cokes being out for a number of weeks, we needed another body in midfield and Keenan’s someone who knows the league well from his time at Dagenham last year.

“Bim’s come in from Luton, which was quite late. He’s tasted the league before with Bromley, but it’s an area we’re so short in. It’s an opportunity for him.”

Maher went on to talk about just how big of a loss Cardwell will be. “With Cards going, who’s a huge, huge loss for us, we’re very, very short.

“He led the line and is one of the best centre-forwards in the league, so we’ve got to get bodies in. For him to go to a team in our league is disappointing but it shows what they’re doing [Forest Green] to try and get out of it.
“We’ve got to look forward now and try and get adequate replacements in.”

On a different note, Blues have been training on the new pitches for the first time this week. “It’s been nice to finally get over there,” said Maher.

“There’s still loads of work to do, but Chris Ball and his team are working hard to get them really up to speed. They’re top pitches and they will be very good for the Club going forward.”

He is easily one of the best centre forwards in the league. He has the all round game, and always gave 100%. He also does the closing down very well with speed at the goalkeeper or defender with the ball. He's great at defending free kicks and corners as an added bonus. He never stopped working, even without the ball. Most centre forwards tend to rest a lot without the ball, as they're big lumps. We saw an improvement from when he first arrived at Southend, so he could get even better. It's a massive loss and Kev really is absolutely gutted about it.

One of the best centre forwards in the league!? 🤣 pull the other one Kev

Seriously?

Cardwell was easily one of the best forwards in the league, even purely based on his goal output last season. I won’t even mention his all round game and contribution and how he led our press.

As I said before, I think he is the hardest in the squad to replace, in terms of what he brings to the side.

When kev says hardest week I think he means in a different way than many think.
Lost a real leader/dressing room presence in cards as well as a good player. The really hard bit will have been the Kensdale fallout....so.much went into ollie and the club as a whole really supported the lad and he is a good guy, however his recent actions have really knocked people for six around the place and the emotional.side pf that will have been tough, he won't play for us again...if anyone else at all and its a crying shame.

When kev says hardest week I think he means in a different way than many think.
Lost a real leader/dressing room presence in cards as well as a good player. The really hard bit will have been the Kensdale fallout....so.much went into ollie and the club as a whole really supported the lad and he is a good guy, however his recent actions have really knocked people for six around the place and the emotional.side pf that will have been tough, he won't play for us again...if anyone else at all and its a crying shame.
When all over will we find out what he did or is a matter some can know and some can’t unless you babysit David Kreyling’s poodle of a Thursday?

He is easily one of the best centre forwards in the league. He has the all round game, and always gave 100%. He also does the closing down very well with speed at the goalkeeper or defender with the ball. He's great at defending free kicks and corners as an added bonus. He never stopped working, even without the ball. Most centre forwards tend to rest a lot without the ball, as they're big lumps. We saw an improvement from when he first arrived at Southend, so he could get even better. It's a massive loss and Kev really is absolutely gutted about it.
It is a massive loss, but realistically we know that money talks. Forest Green Rovers have a wealthy owner AND the parachute payment from League 2. We just can't compete with that.

Can't help feeling like this season is already over but there's a long way to go and feel so much for Kev, last week was very tough and it's so refreshing when someone is honest.

I really thought all our hard times were over but last week proved how a club can mini self implode and again have to fight back and please this time let's not blame the 🤡 I really don't think we can lay OK's misdemeanor or the travel fiasco at his feet and Cards going to a promotion rival was hard to stomach, he is a big loss.

Well said Kev and I really hope you soon get stability to the squad, fit players, proper transport to away games and some time without drama 🤞 to concentrate on events on the field. UTB 💙

Last edited:
Back