• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Yep........I take your point..........hadn't studied the recent posts before making a comment. However, in my defense, I've got my head completely in the clouds today, following my weekend in Toulouse. Perhaps I should refrain from posting the Monday after!

Toulouse...let's hope that's what happens to Swindon tmrrw and Oldham next Tue:smile:

The dramatic consequences of not having been able kill Oldham off on Saturday are now laid bare, for everyone to see. This has set me wondering just how many other times this teasing scenario of knowing we have a 'big club' draw, if only we can get through to the next round, has occured. From what I can remember the historic is not too promising. Everyone can think of that loss at Scarborough in January 2004, which denied us another crack at Chelsea. I can remember, when still working at the then Hoffmann's in Chelmsford, going out in my lunch break to listen, on the car radio, to Fourth Round draw in January 1971. WWWHHHHHOOOOOAAAAAAAAA!!!!!.................Tottenham. All we had to do was to get past Carlisle, who were a league above us at that time, in our postponed Third Round match! Standing in the North Bank, the match proved night of total dejection, when Carlisle completely outclassed us and won three nil.
Can anyone remember similar instances and perhaps one where we actually won through to play 'the big game?'

Not quite Yogi, they were near the top of division 2 going for promotion to the top flight and we were a rotten Div 4 side who were languishing near the bottom of the table at that time.

Sure did... we were never in that match at all. Carlisle were probably the best side I had seen at the Hall up to that point in my whole 2 years of supporting the Blues...
alf smirk after the match said to bill nicholson pitty your not playing us bill he just smiled and said back to alf "isnt it"

Sure did... we were never in that match at all. Carlisle were probably the best side I had seen at the Hall up to that point in my whole 2 years of supporting the Blues...

Weren't they on a great run though, IIRC they ended up in the first Division in 74 (I remember Chris Balderstone being an exceptional player)

Weren't they on a great run though, IIRC they ended up in the first Division in 74 (I remember Chris Balderstone being an exceptional player)

Balderstone also played a couple of Test matches for England in 1976.

IIRC they also had a decent centre forward called Hugh McIllmoyle.

1938 fa cup could of been man utd

Having dispatched Corinthian and Walthamstow away from home in the 1937/8 FA cup we then drew Barnsley at home (Kursaal Ground) in the third round . The game ended 2-2 and the winners of the replay were to face manchester United. We lost 2-1.:'(

I think we played Liverpool twice in 1950's. One we lost but the other we WON! They were a second division team at the time!

Back