• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
I learnt at a very early age that Southend always blow it in front of a big crowd. I had persuaded myself that today would be an exception. Sadly, over 7000 witnessed that fact that it wasn’t.

Today, the atmosphere seemed subdued. I said to my mate before kick off that the players needed to provide the spark but they couldn’t do that for 80 minutes. It was as if Roots hall was a barbecue waiting to ignite, but the coals were damp and the matches wouldn’t light.

Mansfield on the other hand worked as hard as many of the teams that come down here. Oxford (first half), Grimsby and Chester all worked their socks off to some effect – i.e. they simply stopped us playing for long periods of the game. Mansfield achieved that superbly with their midfield, led by the phenomenal Adam Murray, closing us down at every opportunity and making sure the supply line to the deadly duo of Gray and Eastwood was well and truly shut off.

They had their own spark in the form of lively Derek Asamoah, who could have had 3 or 4 himself, forcing Bart into 2 fine saves and shooting over the bar late on.

But lets be honest – Blues home performances of late have generally achieved the right results but with the exception of the Swansea game and the second half v Oxford we have by and large struggled to break sides down. But that we have done – albeit eventually – and it has been cited that this was the basic difference between this team and those of recent seasons. We are capable of grinding out a result and with us occupying a lofty position in the league we of course become targets for the other teams.

The game today was largely dull – at least the first 78 minutes were at any rate. They had more possession and the better chances, we huffed and puffed and failed to find a blue shirt on too many occasions. But then Tes was replaced by Dudfield, and Gray moved to wide right. Within a minute Bentley had forced Murray to be subbed after a sliding challenge that resulted in a 23 man melee and a booking for the former Daggers player, and a minute later Asamoah had again proved to be a thorn in Southend’s side as he set up Warne for what proved to be the winner.

I am not sure whether it was the introduction of Dudfield, the withdrawal of Murray or the fact that Mansfield were ahead (or maybe a bit of all three), but all of a sudden Southend started to play. Barrett skimmed the post with a fine header. A great cross eluded Gray and Bentley by millimetres. As Blues pushed forward Asamoah spurned a further chance to punish Blues defence and then came the biggest talking point. An almighty scramble resulted in Dudfield lashing the ball home from close range, but the linesman had flagged for offside and the goal was disallowed. Cue mass disapporoval, cries of “cheat, cheat, cheat” and some idiot from the East stand who tried to assault the linesman and who will now no doubt receive a life ban and probably cost the club a fine.

So, while still 4th we are now firmly back in the chasing pack and there is a 7 point gap between us and 3rd. Ironically, 7 points the other way would see us in 15th place. Nothing less than 6 points from the next 2 games will be acceptable if we are to maintain a promotion challenge.

Ratings:

Griemink – 8 – MOM. Kept us in the match with 2 fine saves and was commanding.

Hunt – 6 – Struggled against Asamoah (but then, who didn’t) and was guilty of some wayward passing.
Wilson – 6 – Sometimes looked very good, and sometimes extremely poor. His short passing was just not up to mstandard today but won some great challenges in the air and on the deck
Barrett – 7 – Strong and made some great challenges. Unlucky not to score.
Edwards – 7 – One slip near end of first half but rescued situation with great challenge.

Pettefer – 6 – took up some good positions but for some reason there seems to be an aversion to passing the ball to him.
Maher – 7.5 – Tried to close everyone down and made some fine passes. However was muscled out of it sometimes by Murray, especially in first half
Bentley – 6 – Quiet game for him. Should have done better on a couple of occasions in front of goal.
Bramble – 5. Almost as poor as he was away at Orient. For some reson he seems very low on confidence.

Gray – 6.5 – Usual 110% workrate but with no reward
Eastwood – 5 – Too casual, too greedy, looked knackered. Didn’t look like scoring. Time for a trip to the bench.

Sub –

Dudfield – 7. Did well when he came on and gave us fresh legs.

Ref – Mr Robinson – 6. Apart from the fact that I couldn’t hear his whistle a lot of the time, he generally had a good game. I suspect the decision to disallow the last minute goal was probably correct, much as though it pains me to say it.

A final word – we missed Gower bigtime. Without him we have little width and no creativity. His injury problems are very concerning and would appear to be something that is always going to affect him because it is down to the way he runs. This is an area Tilly needs to strengthen if we are to be a force in this division.

Yep, we missed Gower. Our big problem today was crossing. Petts couldn't get it further than the near post, Wilson didn't seem to want to dare risk making himself look a tw*t by doing a duff cross so he just passed it sideways, and Bramble was too scared to take anyone on and head for the bye-line.
If this was not the game to bring on Corbett to finally make himself into a hero then the bloke will never get a chance.
I picked up the ball from the front row of the Green East three times today - maybe the last time instead of dutifully throwing the ball back to Wilson shouting at him to come out of coma I should have hopped over, complimented the lino on his nice flag, discarded my free LDV cap, taken the throw and then return pass from Maher (too bloated with pud even to get booked today), set off down the wing, crossed to the far post to find the lino bashing bonehead's nut from where the ball would have flew into the net. Then, maybe not.

Have to agree with whats been said.

Additionally, I think Dudfield deserves a start, as he's got a real goal-threat about him at the moment. He gets in amongst defenders and causes them problems and whether the goal was correctly ruled out or not, lawrie was the one who put it in where 2 or 3 others had failed. Also, when you look at the amount of time hes had on the pitch, his goal tally isnt bad.

Freddy could be given a rest or maybe gray pushed onto the wing, where his pace and crossing ability could cause rushden a problem.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Suffolk Shrimper @ Dec. 28 2004,21:57)]If this was not the game to bring on Corbett to finally make himself into a hero then the bloke will never get a chance.
Corbett's card was marked by Tilly a long time ago for some reason and he was only on the bench to make the numbers up. I don't know what the problem is but he was the obvious replacement for Gower as i'm sure he is down as being a left sided midfield player !!!! Nothing against Tes but why was he made to play where he was ?

Rant over, lets not forget the state we were in this time last year and be happy with 4th place going into the New Year.

biggrin.gif
rock.gif

I do agree that corbet really should have been brought on with say 10-15 mins to go at the least. I thought that bramble didnt really have a good game, and why play him in that position. Not his fault for the bad game tho. why not play nic on the wing?? i think for me i would have to start with eastwood and gray, although he wasnt really in the game much today i hate having moaning c**ts all around me who dont go to any games saying he is useless. just f**k off and if thats the way you feel dont come back. dudfield is a good player, dont get me wrong but while the other two are playing well we shud stick with them. I thought we looked tired today, and it did show as i though mansfield who hadnt played for 8 days were a lot sharper all round. their back 4 were good all day and asamoah although not the best finisher was a very nippy little player.

thankyou

In fairness we've had a cracking run in the league at home, but our previous three league home games have been disappointing and we've been lucky to get away with 7 points from them.

On the basis that I had us down to lose at Wycombe and beat Mansfield it's not that disasterous and an overdue defeat at home might do us some favours.

MOM - Maher - superb display

Mentioned in dispatches - Bart, Edwards (particularly with two performances in 48 hours short of 100% league match fitness)

A bit harsh on Bramble. Had a fair few poor moments but won more than his fair share of headers, delivered at least one cross in each half that forwards thrive on and has an uncanny knack of winning free-kicks in dangerous areas. Maybe not a 7 but certainly not a 5.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (bas blue @ Dec. 29 2004,08:18)]we need an attacking left footed wideman. end of
Scott Houghton was attacking, left-footed and very wide by the time he left us.
biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Dec. 29 2004,08:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (bas blue @ Dec. 29 2004,08:18)]we need an attacking left footed wideman. end of
biggrin.gif
Right Footed that played on the left wing!

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (McScriven @ Dec. 29 2004,08:37)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Dec. 29 2004,08:30)]
[b said:
biggrin.gif
Right Footed that played on the left wing!

tounge.gif
Dave, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]A bit harsh on Bramble. Had a fair few poor moments but won more than his fair share of headers, delivered at least one cross in each half that forwards thrive on and has an uncanny knack of winning free-kicks in dangerous areas. Maybe not a 7 but certainly not a 5.

Hmm.

Tes, as we all know, is one of the few players who has the ability to terrorise a defence. Like Fredy, he can do something unexpected, he can run at defenders and is very strong and hard to knock off the ball when he has it.

Yesterday, IMHO, he looked devoid of confidence and didn't seem as though he had a clue. Now, granted, a lot of that may have been down to the fact that he was played on the left, although against Orient he was wide right and was atrocious. I think he has the ability to do a good job out wide and I don't really know what the problem is. But I did say he wasn't as bad as he was against Orient, yet I've probably given him the same marks, so I'll upgrade him to a 5.5. Definitely not a 7.

Maher did some good things but also was caught out positionally a few times in the first half... very unusual for him. But he was the best of the midfield.

My personal view is that you're very generous to Tes by giving him the same mark as Eastwood, who although disappointing was at least trying & generally in the right place.  Tes by contrast spent most the game dawdling around in places where people couldn't or shouldn't actually pass to him.  I've defended Tes many times over the last few seasons but I feel his time has now passed, how he could be selected after his appalling performance at Orient beats me.  I'm afraid he's not up to league football & personally I think we should farm him out on loan & get Kightly back from Farnborough.

Also I think Wilson had a much better game than usual, not aided at all by having Tes in front of him.  His defensive play was much improved & let's face it he had little help from his accomplice on the left side.  Once again why did Tilly not mix it up & switch Petts & Tes at some stage?

On the Corbett situation, one of Tilly or Brush stated that he basically hasn't trained for 3 weeks due to his virus.  Not being rude to Jimmy he didn't exactly look at fighting weight before this so to have pitched him in at that level of fitness would have been a big gamble.

Eagle, Barrett & Maher were by far the best of the team.  I'd give the MoM to Eagle purely as he's probably not fully fit by all accounts & some of his covering tackles belied his lack of pace.

Very disappointing to lose yesterday. Macclesfield are now on the same points as us so we really need to win against Rushden. It's only one loss, though, we just need to make sure we bounce back. Mansfield were one of the better sides I've seen at Roots Hall this season. Asamoah and Brown combined well in attack and caused us a lot of problems with their pace. They defended well and also looked dangerous on the attack. They didn't look like a side 17th in the table. They weren't brilliant, though, and considering the amount of posession we had we should have created more good chances. We missed Gower I think because the forwards received pretty poor service.

As for the disallowed goal, well I was in the South Lower as ever and can't see why the goal was disallowed. It was a goalmouth scramble so of course there's going to a bit of a ruck, but I didn't see Dudfield do anything wrong. They had two players on the line who weren't near Dudfield when he hit the ball. It was very frustrating to have it disallowed. Even more frustrating was the fact that Gray stupidly decided to head the ball when he could have easily volleyed it home with much more power, which would have meant Dudfield would have never of had to have his goal disallowed. These are my ratings:

Griemink 8 - Made a superb save in the first half and again showed his quality on crosses and one-on-ones.

Hunt 6 - Defended relatively well but didn't offer much in attack.

Barrett 7 - Solid as ever in defence.

Edwards 7 - Good performance, although was done for pace on a few occasions by Asamoah.

Wilson 6 - Defended well but his passing and crossing was poor.

Pettefer 7 - Worked hard and tried his best to create things. He managed to get some dangerous crosses in despite receiving poor service himself.

MAHER 8 - MoTM. Got stuck in and did the simple things well. His passing was class and without Gower he was probably our best creative player.

Bentley 7 - Made some superb tackles but was too deep at times. Was also lucky not to get sent off.

Bramble 6 - Another frustrating performance from Tes. Made a couple of good runs and won most of his headers, but needed to make more good runs. He didn't look confident and in my opinion he'd have been more useful up front.

Eastwood 7 - Lively first half but didn't do much in the second.

Gray 6 - Worked hard but yet again all he got was long balls and he didn't create much. Should have scored during the disallowed goal incident but stupidly decided to head instead of volley. Time to give Dudfield a go up front.

not sure aboutt he head instead of volley point. I was right behind the line of the ball and I think I'd have tried a header in the same situation. It seemed to be around waist height and woudl have taken superb technique to either volley it in or re-adjust his body position and run to give himself an easier volley.

Just one of those things really and just one of those days.

One more point about Dudfield. There was one moment, shortly after he came on, where defensive hesitancy led to the ball being flipped up in the air, falling to Dudfield. I was convinced it was going to be Chester all over again but the touch wasn't there. More proof I guess that it just wasn't our day.

Can’t believe some of those ratings posted on various threads.

Griemink 7 – generally looked secure once more, had no chance when he condeded his first goal in 381 minutes.
Hunt 7 – a decent game, looks OK defensively got forward to more effect than Wilson
Wilson 5 – defensively fairly sound – only once someone ran at him, but his distribution was dire and created more chances for Mansfield than he did for us.  We desperately need a left footer on the left.
Barrett 7 – fairly solid
Edwards 6 – made one howler, but recovered with a great tackle
Maher 6.5 – tidier than at Wycombe, he still didn’t really impose himself on the game. Misses Gower.
Bentley 6.5 – got stuck in (a little too much when he nearly broke the leg of a Mansfield player) and got in some very dangerous positions from which he should probably have scored, but he’s not dominating the middle of the park
Bramble 7 – looked to have the beating of his man (or at least the ability to draw a free-kick at will), when on the pitch he created our best chances with a great cross and a header across goal Gray should have done better with. I’d have given him a go up front and replaced one of the strikers.
Pettefer 7 – never the most creative, he worked hard and put in the odd nearly dangerous cross.
Eastwood 5 – Mansfield had done their scouting and crowded him out
Gray 5 – made nothing of the space Eastwood was creating

I think the fact of the matter is bramble is not a winger! so I would be unfair to judge him!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Dec. 29 2004,13:28)]Wilson 5 – defensively fairly sound – only once someone ran at him, but his distribution was dire and created more chances for Mansfield than he did for us.  We desperately need a left footer on the left.
Wilson - Very harsh.

For a little man the amount of defensive headers Che won yesterday was impressive. He has no attacking qualities (and he knows this) so usually he'll try to deliver the ball to someone that has. At least a 7.

Gray - Did nothing wrong, but didn't get the service most of the time so had to come searching for the ball. If Eastwood learned to pass the ball occassionally then Gray would have been more impressive.

Eastwood - You cannot knock someone that keeps popping the goals in but when that dries us (and it will) offers nothing else to the team. Gray and Dudfield, on the other hand, contribute plenty even if not getting on the scoresheet.

In tonights echo chris phillips says in his columm that in the 9 games gowers missed since signing for us we have never won a game. Proves how much we miss him.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Dec. 29 2004,14:54)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Dec. 29 2004,13:28)]Wilson 5 – defensively fairly sound – only once someone ran at him, but his distribution was dire and created more chances for Mansfield than he did for us.  We desperately need a left footer on the left.
Wilson - Very harsh.

For a little man the amount of defensive headers Che won yesterday was impressive. He has no attacking qualities (and he knows this) so usually he'll try to deliver the ball to someone that has. At least a 7.

Gray - Did nothing wrong, but didn't get the service most of the time so had to come searching for the ball. If Eastwood learned to pass the ball occassionally then Gray would have been more impressive.

Eastwood - You cannot knock someone that keeps popping the goals in but when that dries us (and it will) offers nothing else to the team. Gray and Dudfield, on the other hand, contribute plenty even if not getting on the scoresheet.
Super Cheese Wilson might win a lot of headers for a small person, but I’m not going to give him any extra credit for being small.

At one stage about three attacks in a row broke down because Super Cheese Wilson either gave the ball away, put in a terrible cross or played someone into difficulty. This would have been bad at the best of times, but given that Mansfield whole game was based around breaking, he was playing to their strength.

He might try hard but he’s not good enough.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Dec. 29 2004,15:25)]At one stage about three attacks in a row broke down because Super Cheese Wilson either gave the ball away, put in a terrible cross or played someone into difficulty.  This would have been bad at the best of times, but given that Mansfield whole game was based around breaking, he was playing to their strength.
If Cheese was playing in midfield your comments would be more than justified. As he was playing in defence and put out an unusually solid display your mark is harsh.

Back