• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐🦐
EAGLES GRAB AN IFILL IN SMASH AND GRAB RAID

Southend suffered a home defeat at the hands of Crystal Palace tonight - but it was a performance that deserved much more.

The South Londoners were there for the taking in the first half but Southend failed to make their superiority tell. New sharp shooter Kevin Maher saw an early effort curl fractionally wide of Kiraly's left hand post, and Gower, Maher and Eastwood all had efforts from distance that went wide. Bradbury headed wide from 8 yards when he should have at least hit the target, and Richie Foran, making his full debut, had two headers saved by the impressive visiting custodian.

Blues pinged the ball about and the link up play between Eastwood and Foran was at times delightful, while Palace looked sluggish and struggled to contain the home side. The large visiting crowd were silent for almost the entire first half but despite the home sides dominance it was still all square at the break.

Foran had been a revelation in the first half and had completely dominated his marker. However, Peter Taylor made a half time substitution by replacing Butterfield with Freedman and immediately this changed Palace's shape. They were slightly more menacing but Southend were still in overall control, and pressed forward at every opportunity. Maher hit a free kick which was saved without too much trouble from Kiraly, whose command of his area was absolutely first class. Freddy headed wide when he should have done better and Gower had a shot which again was kept out by the Hungarian keeper.

Then, on 65 minutes, Palace literally mugged Southend. A cross cum shot rebounded to the previously uninterested Paul Ifill, who screwed a shot into the far corner.

At that moment the players and crowd seemed to lose their belief and Palace were a different side. Kennedy nearly made it 2 a minute or so later and Blues were all at sea. But slowly Blues tried to claw themselves back in the game and Gower had a long range effort that was deflected three times before Kiraly gratefully fell on the ball 3 yards out. Campbell-Ryce hit a dipping shot just over and Bradbury had an effort blocked as Blues went in search of the equaliser. On 79 minutes Tilly changed the formation to 3-4-3 by replacing Wilson with Harrold but this seemed to confuse the players who by now had resorted to long range efforts in an attempt to beat the Palace keeper and their Man of the Match.

A now resurgent Palace seemed to find the extra ounce of energy and yard of pace as they pressed in all areas of the pitch and it was clear it was not to be Southends day. The game petered out as the Eagles held on for the win to leave Southend very much in the mire.

This now makes Blues next game at Hillsborough on Saturday absolutely crucial. This is a game where they must avoid getting beaten as 3 defeats on the trot at this stage of the season would be disastrous. But all is not yet lost; Foran showed tonight that he could be a very worthwhile addition to the squad and the performances of Peter Clarke and Kevin Maher were top quality. But the dreaded squad size problem is now looking as though it could hurt us, and unless either McCormack or Hammell regain fitness before Saturday then we will be faced with only 14 fit players to make the trip to Sheffield Wednesday, who haven't won a game in 2007 and must now surely be licking their lips at the prospect of entertaining the smallest squad in the league.

In hindsight, I think the very worst thing that could have happened was for us to demolish QPR in the last 20 minutes 2 Fridays ago. That gave the impression that we were a much better side than we actually are. If we had scra.ped that game 1-0 then the false hopes and beliefs would not have surfaced afterwards. As I said in my QPR report, that result was more down to how bad they were rather than our brilliance. Look at the difference in keeper for a start; Royce had an absolute nightmare whereas Kiraly was inspired. Our football for the first hour against Palace was much better than the first hour against Rangers, yet we were not ahead by a lucky goal. When Palace scored, they grew in confidence and locked us out yet QPR just folded like a deck of cards once our second went in.

Seven wins from 12 games sounds a tall order but that is what we need. Unless McCormack comes back pretty quick, I'm not as optimistic as I was 10 days ago.

RATINGS:

Flahavan - 8 - Powerless to stop goal, did all that was asked of him.

Hunt - 6 - It's a shame that Francis has not settled better as I really think we miss his athleticism. Hunt does a job and not much more; he certainly struggled tonight in the second half defensively.
Wilson - 5 - Probably not match fit and unsettled. Was shown up for pace in the latter stages before being subbed and didn't really contribute anything going forward.
Sodje - 6 - An uncharacteristically dodgy game from him. He was up against quality strikers, but made several basic errors and misjudgements. May not be fully fit.
Clarke - 8 - The pick of the back four and has really silenced his critics. He is now beginning to look Premiership quality.

JCR - 6 - I would guess he was suffering from his injury on Saturday. Struggled to get the better of Borrowdale all night but went close with two efforts and showed some nice touches.
Gower - 7 - Vastly improved performance from him albeit in an unfamiliar central role. Wasn't quite as creative as I hoped he might be playing in that position but did much better than he has of late on the wing.
Maher - 8.5 - MOM - A real captains performance and led by example. Was unlucky not to get yet another goal early on but his distribution was excellent this evening.
Foran - 8 - A great full debut and he obviously tired late on. Is excellent in the air and showed enough quality to demonstrate he will be another Tilly master signing.

Bradbury - 6.5 - Should have done better in front of goal on at least two occasions but his lay offs and hold up play is fantastic.
Eastwood - 6.5 - Struggled all game to make space and failed to hit target when he worked an opening late on, but never stopped working and linked up well with Foran.

Subs -

Harrold - 6 - Won a few balls in the air but otherwise struggled to make an impact
Francis - 5 - On for JCR and looked completely out of place

The ref - Mr Probert - 8 - No cards, let the game flow, nothing controversial. Exactly as the game should be reffed.

The crowd - 6 - I detected a real sense of resignation after their goal and it was a very nervous crowd tonight.

Last edited:
Top report fbm. Can't argue with a word of that. Agree totally with the analogy of the QPR result as well - a very interesting opinion.

However, I'd probably give Foran a 9 and MOM for me personally. Maher had a good game tonight but I thought Foran was immense, considering also it was his first start.

Very much agree with that report although I also feel Foran was a definate 9 and MOM. The way he settled into the team made it seem as though he had been there years and his determination and work rate was unquestionable! He seems like a top quality signing from tonights performance and i really hope he's given the chance above Bradbury who imo cant seem to do anything up front and cant be in the team simply for his "hold up play" as i feel he doesnt offer anything else going forward. I cant fault his work rate though.

Agree about the Sheffield Wednesday game aswell. This for me is a must win game not just for the points but also the teams confidence. We said most, if not, all our home games are must wins and so any dropped points at home have to be picked up on the travels. Wednesday is one of the few away games i can see us picking up these points in.

Lets get behind the boys this Saturday

COME ON YOU BLUES!! :D

and i really hope he's given the chance above Bradbury who imo cant seem to do anything up front and cant be in the team simply for his "hold up play" as i feel he doesnt offer anything else going forward. I cant fault his work rate though.

Don't underestimate that contribution though - and his fellow team mates think that what he does is fantastic.

I personally question whether 4 goals from 22 matches is enough for a striker - for instance on Saturday I'd prefer to see him in central midfield alongside Maher (if McCormack is still out) with Gower on the left side and Foran up front.

Even though Wilson was not match fit he was much better than i have ever seen him play. He actually went towards players when he was defending.

when he is match fit, if he plays the same he will be 100% better than he was last season

The crowd - 6 - I detected a real sense of resignation after their goal and it was a very nervous crowd tonight.

The Crowds keep coming, another amazing turn out by the blues faithfull tonight. Bottom 3 since october and nearly 10,000 average home attendance.

We did'nt do this well when we stayed in the championship/division 2/division 1 (take your pick)

I'd like to award the Szone chat-room 9 out of 10 last night.... temporarily invaded by the Crystal Palace Gangsta Massive but was much fun despite the result, aided and abetted by Nick Alliker's mobile phone number :D

For those of us who could make the game the chat room was on top form, made a dissapointing game more bearable to listen to. The authority of Overseas dealing with the invaders and what can now only be called "Alliker Gate"

Pretty accurate ratings.

Clarke did impress me last night, if he continues in that vein then Ill remove 'Calamity' from his current nickname.

Thought Maher did well but I would have had Foran as mom.

Bradbury did ok up front as usual and Im a big fan of what he brings to the team. However! Foran won 90% of the headers that came his way, and actually laid them off to people rather than just blind flick ons. If he can show that he can control the ball as well as Bradbury then he will be pushing for that position pretty soon.

I'm surprised by your Clarke comment. In terms of keeping the opposition out, he's really been doing the business but his touch is terrible and his distribution, well, at least the ball won't come back in a hurry.

I think he's doing a great job for us but I think he will be hindered from making a step up by his lack of technique.

IMO, our two best players last night were two that we have signed this season which makes it hard for me to understand people who criticise Tilly's ability to spot talent.

Good report as always, though I thought Che played very well, personally.
Foran looks like a great signing, but I thought he tailed off a bit in the second half.

I'm afraid I'm too depressed to say anything else.

Oh and Eastwood really frustrated me last night by the way he was always running away from goal when he picked up the ball. I was hoping he would have improved his movement and positioning by now. Also needed to get closer to Foran/Bradbury as few knockdowns seemed to find him.

fbm - good report, as always.

I think you've been over-generous with Lewis Hunt's score. I thought he was appalling last night. Casual, sloppy, dumped on his @rse on the edge of the penalty area by an opposing winger for the second game in a row (luckily, Ifill didn't take advantage on that particular occasion).

Interested with Maher's score. Like the QPR game, I thought Maher had one great half, and one half where he rather merged into the background. I thought Kev was superb in the first period, but weak in the second.

In a role reversal, I'd give my top mark to Clarke this time round, who I thought was imperious in an overall shaky defensive display. Foran was also very impressive - his aerial ability, in particular, was something we've lacked in recent weeks.

However, from feeling optimistic a few weeks ago, I have to say I feel deep in the slough of despond this morning. We failed to beat a very poor Palace yesterday. Tilson has a threadbare squad but can't persuade anyone to come and play for us. Tilly's post match comments sounded like those of a man preparing himself for relegation.

I feel very down this morning.

:cry:

Spot on report FBM...But Ihad a bad feeling before last nights game...and alas it hasnt vanished the AM ...I hope we can pick up on Saturday, if not i think our chance to survive may be over.:(

fbm - good report, as always.

I think you've been over-generous with Lewis Hunt's score. I thought he was appalling last night. Casual, sloppy, dumped on his @rse on the edge of the penalty area by an opposing winger for the second game in a row (luckily, Ifill didn't take advantage on that particular occasion).

Interested with Maher's score. Like the QPR game, I thought Maher had one great half, and one half where he rather merged into the background. I thought Kev was superb in the first period, but weak in the second.

In a role reversal, I'd give my top mark to Clarke this time round, who I thought was imperious in an overall shaky defensive display. Foran was also very impressive - his aerial ability, in particular, was something we've lacked in recent weeks.

However, from feeling optimistic a few weeks ago, I have to say I feel deep in the slough of despond this morning. We failed to beat a very poor Palace yesterday. Tilson has a threadbare squad but can't persuade anyone to come and play for us. Tilly's post match comments sounded like those of a man preparing himself for relegation.

I feel very down this morning.

:cry:

Hunt made some really incisive passes in the second period to his credit. I don't think that it is indicative of his performance that he happened to be turned inside out by Ifill. After all, we expect JCR and Gower to get the better of full backs and that doesn't mean the full backs are ****. I was actually hoping that Francis would get a game but his appearance off the bench was as inept as I've seen and unless he can start challenging Hunt for his place then Hunt will stay there.

I have heard an unconfirmed report that we are going for a loanee from ****nal but it is not my usual source and I have no idea to cover what position.

I was surprised at Tillys post match comments. If losing to Palace is a "big blow" then that doesn't auger well for any potential defeat we may suffer against Hull, Barnsley, Leeds, Ipswich, Luton or Burnley. Those six games we MUST win as they directly affect the teams in the mix. We then need just 1 point from the other 6 games we have left which we should manage.

Don't get me wrong; I and most other fans think it's a big blow but I would expect the team and management to be a bit more upbeat about their chances. It sounds as though they believe they are beaten.

I was actually hoping that Francis would get a game but his appearance off the bench was as inept as I've seen and unless he can start challenging Hunt for his place then Hunt will stay there.

I was surprised at Tillys post match comments. If losing to Palace is a "big blow" then that doesn't auger well for any potential defeat we may suffer against Hull, Barnsley, Leeds, Ipswich, Luton or Burnley. Don't get me wrong; I and most other fans think it's a big blow but I would expect the team and management to be a bit more upbeat about their chances. It sounds as though they believe they are beaten.
Sadly, I'm in complete agreement with you on both those points. Francis was calamitous when he came on... he just looks as if, mentally, he's strolling through games. He needs someone to give him a massive psychological slap around the face. It's such a shame, as he clearly has the physique and technique to be very special - but, mentally, he's just not with it at all. Still, he did manage to put a cracking ball into the box towards the end - it's a shame that no one got on the end of it.

I too was surprised by Tilly's comments. He sounded like a beaten man - and that's not like him at all. If he thinks we're down, then we're probably doomed.

:cry: :(

Don't get me wrong; I and most other fans think it's a big blow but I would expect the team and management to be a bit more upbeat about their chances. It sounds as though they believe they are beaten.

Relegation seemed to kick in in the 65th minute yesterday when we went a goal down.

We desperately need to avoid defeat at Wednesday on Saturday - which if we had a 100% fit and available squad to choose from - we would do.

On the plus side after 14 games I charted our remaining games with required results to get us to 52 points, and we are 2 points ahead of my schedule (we were once 8 points behind it).

Back