• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The current squad (Thoughts)

The current squad are decent, top half side but, as is well documented, we have lost the spine. A couple of players are struggling for form, a couple of others are struggling for fitness and some are having to find their feet in a new role in the team.

We need time to get everyone back fit, patience and support from fans, two starting XI players to replace Kensdale & Cardwell and not too much else.

Cardwell, Kensdale and Crowther were our only players of significant height.

We all know what has happened to the first two and unfortunately it appears that Crowther maybe out of his depth. So any team with players 6ft 2” and taller are likely to punish us at set pieces - they just need someone who will put the ball on their head and Ferguson did that twice on Saturday.

Cardwell, Kensdale and Crowther were our only players of significant height.

We all know what has happened to the first two and unfortunately it appears that Crowther maybe out of his depth. So any team with players 6ft 2” and taller are likely to punish us at set pieces - they just need someone who will put the ball on their head and Ferguson did that twice on Saturday.
I would normally agree with you, but it doesn’t matter how tall people are if they are not marking. Both goals the other day were free headers. We need to be better than that.

The current squad are decent, top half side but, as is well documented, we have lost the spine. A couple of players are struggling for form, a couple of others are struggling for fitness and some are having to find their feet in a new role in the team.

We need time to get everyone back fit, patience and support from fans, two starting XI players to replace Kensdale & Cardwell and not too much else.
Patience seemed in very short supply in the West stand.

Literally heard someone shout Maher out in block V
Yep. Booing Collin, jeering Bonne and any backward pass etc. No support at all even at 1-0 down. I think lots of people expected a win and couldn’t haul themselves out of the mire to back the lads. Ot was a humbling afternoon. Felt very similar to Chesterfield. Like an OK this is **** moment.

Just for information and a reality check on the Club, there is an article on BBC about Football Governance. Tom Lawrence gives the Club's and his view on behalf of the Club. Hopefully a spot of common sense for some on here.

Just for information and a reality check on the Club, there is an article on BBC about Football Governance. Tom Lawrence gives the Club's and his view on behalf of the Club. Hopefully a spot of common sense for some on here.

Not a fan of fans making Collin the scapegoat. He has a pretty inexperienced defence in front of him at times and the defence regularly changing. I dont think Collin has been any worse than most of the other players with exception of GSM and Taylor.

Bridge is a great example. Hugely ineffective almost all of the time this season. If he wasnt a Southend fan and youth product I highly doubt many on here would want him to start game in game out.

I think players should rightly be boo'd at times and not clapped off the pitch. So many games this season already we have been poor to put it nicely.

I think the blame lays in a few areas:

1) COSU - we should have been able to re-invest the Cardwell money and I find it hard to understand why we didnt go for it this season with the weakest league in years, new owner buzz and a fresh new season to hit.

2) Management - regardless of how much we respect Maher it doesnt make him exempt from criticism. He could have bought other players in or changed the formation more often. I am not in the Maher out camp but these poor performances cannot continue. He says he knows what is needed but what is that and when will we see these changes?

3) Players - too many of the players are not performing anywhere near the standards they set last season and it isnt just one game here or there, it is most games! We lack leaders, we lack pace and we lack winners. We will not get out of this league until we add these types of players.

i think it's the intangibles that are killing us. we don't seem to know our style of play, can't score for ****, and keep letting goals in. so just the back, middle, and front that need sorting. but i think that's what happens when you try to build up in the season. one problem for me is Wes Fonguk. When we had him we kept the ball in the top end of the pitch. but now it comes straight back

Not a fan of fans making Collin the scapegoat. He has a pretty inexperienced defence in front of him at times and the defence regularly changing. I dont think Collin has been any worse than most of the other players with exception of GSM and Taylor.

Bridge is a great example. Hugely ineffective almost all of the time this season. If he wasnt a Southend fan and youth product I highly doubt many on here would want him to start game in game out.

I think players should rightly be boo'd at times and not clapped off the pitch. So many games this season already we have been poor to put it nicely.

I think the blame lays in a few areas:

1) COSU - we should have been able to re-invest the Cardwell money and I find it hard to understand why we didnt go for it this season with the weakest league in years, new owner buzz and a fresh new season to hit.

2) Management - regardless of how much we respect Maher it doesnt make him exempt from criticism. He could have bought other players in or changed the formation more often. I am not in the Maher out camp but these poor performances cannot continue. He says he knows what is needed but what is that and when will we see these changes?

3) Players - too many of the players are not performing anywhere near the standards they set last season and it isnt just one game here or there, it is most games! We lack leaders, we lack pace and we lack winners. We will not get out of this league until we add these types of players.
Spot on with this!

IMHO we need to change the formation and team for the cup game. Eastleigh should prove adequate opposition for this.

I’d play 4-3-2-1

Hillson
Ralph-Taylor-Foran-Wind
Husin-Moncur-Morton
KAF-wood
Walker

Subs
Colin, Gubbins, Crowther, Faulkner, Pebble, bridge, bonne

Back