• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

londonblue

Topgun Pilot
According to the woman who runs my son's breakfast club Ted Smith has been called up to an England U18 training squad. Apparently of the 2 goalkeepers who made the last squad the one from Man City has been dropped, and Ted Smith has been kept on.

Before you all laugh, this lady has a son who plays for Wigan's U18 team, and really does know her football. It may turn out that she's wrong, but that just means her son was wrong!

(She's also the one that told me that Oxford U18 are very good, and that they would probably beat us in the FA Youth Cup.)

Edit:

She's right!

Although it seems to be more of a development squad...

When Ted signed his pro deal the other day we were in the tunnel area with some Juniors doing a presentation and were chatting, and were told that he is very highly thought of in the England set up so that isn't a surprise to me at all.

According to the woman who runs my son's breakfast club Ted Smith has been called up to an England U18 training squad. Apparently of the 2 goalkeepers who made the last squad the one from Man City has been dropped, and Ted Smith has been kept on.

Before you all laugh, this lady has a son who plays for Wigan's U18 team, and really does know her football. It may turn out that she's wrong, but that just means her son was wrong!

(She's also the one that told me that Oxford U18 are very good, and that they would probably beat us in the FA Youth Cup.)

Edit:

She's right!

Although it seems to be more of a development squad...

There isn't an official FIFA/UEFA age group at U18, hence the Dev Squad....certainly puts him in a good position for the U19's next season though!

Does anyone know exactly how good this kid is yet? How does he rate to Bentley at this point in time, or is it mainly potential? I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has seen him play, as sounds promising.
Cheers

Very pleased for Ted. First saw him playing in the second half against Great Wakering and was massively impressed with him. They threw everything including the kitchen sink at him and he was just unbeatable. Seem to be blessed with young keepers at the moment, long may it continue.

Shrewd move from Brown to get him on a pro-deal before that evil EPPP kicks in and we lose him for a bag of crisps!

Does anyone know exactly how good this kid is yet? How does he rate to Bentley at this point in time, or is it mainly potential? I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has seen him play, as sounds promising.
Cheers

I've seen him a few times in the youth matches and training. He has bags of potential. He's tall enough, but he's a bit lightweight and will be better when he bulks up and matures. He's not shy in shouting to his defenders. He's not quite ready to push for the number 2 goalie spot.

I've seen him a few times in the youth matches and training. He has bags of potential. He's tall enough, but he's a bit lightweight and will be better when he bulks up and matures. He's not shy in shouting to his defenders. He's not quite ready to push for the number 2 goalie spot.

Agree with this, a solid centre forward would have no problem bullying him. He definitely needs some gym work, but the potential is all there. I think Luke Chambers was rated pretty highly too as it goes, we just have 3 excellent young keepers at Blues with more coming through further down (isn't Lucky Luca a GK?)

Cheers

Firstly, the Under 18 isn't a 'major' age group for the national team. It doesn't formally compete, and they play 1 or 2 games a year. Good players will step up to U19 who compete in the annual UEFA U19 championship.

Let's take the England U18 from 4 years ago, who beat Poland 3-0 in Nov 2010.

Saido Berahino (goal) England U21 - at WBA
Conor Coady(C) England U20 - at Sheffield United on loan from Liverpool
Jak Alnwick England U18 - youth at Newcastle
Jackson Ramm England U18 - released by Col Ewe, now at Cambridge City
Luke Garbutt England U20 - at Col Ewe on loan from Everton
Tom Thorpe England U21 - Man Utd youth team captain
George Taft (goal) England U19 - youth at Leicester. couple of loan appearances at York
Nico Yennaris England U19 - yet to feature on a loan at Bournemouth from Arsenal
Chuks Aneke England U19 - playing well at Crewe on loan from Arsenal
Ravel Morrison England U21 - at West Ham
Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain England International and goalscorer - at Arsenal

Substitutes:

Jake Fowler England U18 - at Gateshead on loan from Middlesborough
Jack Robinson England U21 - at Blackpool on loan from Liverpool
Jordan Pickford England U19 - at Burton on loan from Sunderland
Jordan Obita (goal) England U19 - at Reading
Matthew Pearson England C - at Halifax
Patrick Bamford England U21 - at Derby on loan from Chelsea
George Moncur England U18 - at West Ham (one FA Cup thrashing)

So hopefully Ted will carry on to progress, and get opportunities. Some have dropped to non-league, a couple are featuring in the PL... most are continuing to get experience on loan.

Very pleased for Ted. First saw him playing in the second half against Great Wakering and was massively impressed with him. They threw everything including the kitchen sink at him and he was just unbeatable. Seem to be blessed with young keepers at the moment, long may it continue.

Shrewd move from Brown to get him on a pro-deal before that evil EPPP kicks in and we lose him for a bag of crisps!

Not sure where you buy crisps, but you might want to change supplier :winking:

What has happended to Chambers. I know we still have him but we used to rave about him and yet we hear little these days other than he is on loan.

What has happended to Chambers. I know we still have him but we used to rave about him and yet we hear little these days other than he is on loan.

He was at Concord last season and helped them gain promotion, lots of positive reviews from them too.

He was at Concord last season and helped them gain promotion, lots of positive reviews from them too.

Wonder where he fits in as seems a lot to have four pro keepers at the club. Assume Paul Smith will move on in the summer but then would you really want three kids as your keepers all be it Bentley is fast becoming superb.

Wonder where he fits in as seems a lot to have four pro keepers at the club. Assume Paul Smith will move on in the summer but then would you really want three kids as your keepers all be it Bentley is fast becoming superb.

I suspect Paul Smith, and Dan Bentley will move on in the summer...

Paul Smith's contract is up in the summer. Keeping Bentley will depend on if we gain promotion, if not then we have Ted Smith and Chambers as our keepers. If we do get promoted and keep Bentley, wouldn't be surprised if we did as he will still be guaranteed starting games, I'd be tempted to loan Chambers out to a Conference club and keep Ted Smith as a back-up.

I think promotion is the key to keeping Bentley. (Ps i mean our goalie not Ron's Car!)

Even if we do get promoted we'll still only be a League 1 club. It wouldn't surprise me if a Championship club came calling. Even if they don't guarantee him first team football, they will probably be able to pay him more than we can.

And then he would have a dilemma, leave for more money, or stay for more football?

Even if we do get promoted we'll still only be a League 1 club. It wouldn't surprise me if a Championship club came calling. Even if they don't guarantee him first team football, they will probably be able to pay him more than we can.

And then he would have a dilemma, leave for more money, or stay for more football?

He will be 21 at the start of next season so there is no need for him to try and jump up the leagues quickly. Even if he spends 2 seasons at League 1 and 2 in the Championship working his way up and proving himself before a move to the Premiership, he will still be only 25 with potentially 10+ years at the top level.

He will be 21 at the start of next season so there is no need for him to try and jump up the leagues quickly. Even if he spends 2 seasons at League 1 and 2 in the Championship working his way up and proving himself before a move to the Premiership, he will still be only 25 with potentially 10+ years at the top level.

I agree. But sadly money talks, and a contract that's put in front of you is more certain than an uncertain route to the top level

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back