• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Taking a toddler to the home of football

Tie them to the seats and gag them for 90 minutes. :Smile2:

More tips on child minding are available upon request.
I tried doing that with Mrs RHB but she chewed through the rope and wasn't too impressed.

He he I love the “he’s not really into football” followed by ”so I got him a season ticket”! 😂

My son isn’t either to be fair but as others have said it’s still early days in that regard. It’s probably best to just try it one week and see what happens but not be too gutted if it doesn’t work out. I think I too was about 7 when I first got into footy so plenty of time yet.

My gut’s starting to tell me that maybe I pick a game in a few weeks but do the Lounge, the meeting of the players etc. He does get crippled by shyness too so I don’t wanna go too far either.

He is four, so got him and his younger brother their first season tickets. His youngest won’t come, but he might and I’ve made my money then.

I’ll upgrade the tickets as and when needed to adult ones, and if I have no mates, more space for snacks when we’ve sorted the catering out 😉

Hoping he gets more into it moving the primary school in September, but only time will tell. When they are both older, we have three seats together, and that was difficult to find this time around.

Well I took both of mine since they were babes in arms and both of mine are now over 30 and still attend all the home games although, not sure my daughter will be attending much next season but since I took them they are SUFC for life and it is something we still do as a family even now
Take the chance but be prepared as they do become bored but what a perfect father and son bonding this could be

worth emailing the commercial lot at the club? they should know if everything is sold out, can maybe arrange stuff like meeting the players or whatever

All of what's been said is great advice, but just as a word of warning, don't forget that this is a monumental game because a) it's our first match free of you know who and b) it's the first match of the new season. Big crowd and not a lot of extra space I suspect.

All of what's been said is great advice, but just as a word of warning, don't forget that this is a monumental game because a) it's our first match free of you know who and b) it's the first match of the new season. Big crowd and not a lot of extra space I suspect.
Yeah I think that’s a great point. Someone said earlier about my lad kicking the seat in front. I’d hope he wouldn’t start doing that but yeah at a busy game situations like that are exacerbated and things like getting out to use the loo etc are tricky.

I think I want to give myself the best chance of it all being a success so think I’ll make other plans for the York game and target another game and really make a day of it for him.

Watching this thread closely as I have pencilled in Sutton at home on Sep 14th for my daughter's first ever game - she just turned 4 the other week

My boys first game was the Wembley play off final. The eldest was 6 and the youngest 3. With the extra time it was too much for the 3 year old, but my eldest went from not liking football to both playing and watching and has been a shrimper ever since.
So what did you do with the 3 year old? Ask them to wait outside til we win the shootout?

I think I wrote this for @BoyWonder2 but my daughter was a similar age when I first took her. She had been playing football for about a year (little kickers group) so she was excited to go and watch. Our first game was the Wrexham at home under Phil Brown it was a 2-2 draw. She caught the bug but was a bit unsure of the crowd noise so plenty of sitting on my knee albeit nearly ending up on the pitch when we scored! She was singing the songs in the car the whole way back to Cardiff. The season after we bought season tickets.

My advice get there early. If the weather is decent get them in Priory Park running around and on the park. Get rid of some of the extra energy they have. Get some food or visit the shop. Have a photo with Sammy Collin likes a photo too. Limit the sweets to times of the match. Make sure toilets are easily accessible when booking seats. Make sure your phone is charged but limit the time (we used to make a deal) and most of all enjoy it! But enjoy it with them, pick them up and dance about if we score. If there's a boo for a foul get them doing it too a little nudge down to their level and boo like hell. They love it... on cold and wet days not so much... my main point: enjoy them as time flies and they won't be little for long

I think I wrote this for @BoyWonder2 but my daughter was a similar age when I first took her. She had been playing football for about a year (little kickers group) so she was excited to go and watch. Our first game was the Wrexham at home under Phil Brown it was a 2-2 draw. She caught the bug but was a bit unsure of the crowd noise so plenty of sitting on my knee albeit nearly ending up on the pitch when we scored! She was singing the songs in the car the whole way back to Cardiff. The season after we bought season tickets.

My advice get there early. If the weather is decent get them in Priory Park running around and on the park. Get rid of some of the extra energy they have. Get some food or visit the shop. Have a photo with Sammy Collin likes a photo too. Limit the sweets to times of the match. Make sure toilets are easily accessible when booking seats. Make sure your phone is charged but limit the time (we used to make a deal) and most of all enjoy it! But enjoy it with them, pick them up and dance about if we score. If there's a boo for a foul get them doing it too a little nudge down to their level and boo like hell. They love it... on cold and wet days not so much... my main point: enjoy them as time flies and they won't be little for long
All great advice. I would add to get up extra early on match day and strongly encourage the nipper to watch the DVDs of the Man U game and the 05/06 promotion season back to back. With my kids I made them watch a VHS of the 95/96 season as well. It was an early start to the day admittedly but the joy on their faces when Paul Byrne banged in the winner against Norwich was a sight to behold. Half time I did a ‘Southend full backs of the 80s’ quiz with a foam shrimp sweet for every correct answer. Didn’t actually need the sweets in the end. At full time I provided an Oliver Trigg word search to keep them occupied so we didn’t get caught in the crowds. Having said all that I wouldn’t say that either of my two ever really caught the bug.

Reading this thread with interest as my oldest is 4 and a half. Personally I wouldn't take him to a game yet but maybe in a year or two, once he's been at school for a while and is a bit more used to sitting in one place for extended periods of time. He has started to show a bit of interest in football/sports with the EURO and Olympics being on TV this summer, and he watched me play football last year. I think I was 7 or 8 when I went to my first game and that's probably a good age for it.

strongly encourage the nipper to watch the DVDs of the Man U game and the 05/06 promotion season back to back.

Isn't that setting their expectations too high when they then watch a 0-0 draw against York? 😅

All great advice. I would add to get up extra early on match day and strongly encourage the nipper to watch the DVDs of the Man U game and the 05/06 promotion season back to back. With my kids I made them watch a VHS of the 95/96 season as well. It was an early start to the day admittedly but the joy on their faces when Paul Byrne banged in the winner against Norwich was a sight to behold. Half time I did a ‘Southend full backs of the 80s’ quiz with a foam shrimp sweet for every correct answer. Didn’t actually need the sweets in the end. At full time I provided an Oliver Trigg word search to keep them occupied so we didn’t get caught in the crowds. Having said all that I wouldn’t say that either of my two ever really caught the bug.
All great advice and an experience that will stand them in good stead in later life no doubt.

😜

Reading this thread with interest as my oldest is 4 and a half. Personally I wouldn't take him to a game yet but maybe in a year or two, once he's been at school for a while and is a bit more used to sitting in one place for extended periods of time. He has started to show a bit of interest in football/sports with the EURO and Olympics being on TV this summer, and he watched me play football last year. I think I was 7 or 8 when I went to my first game and that's probably a good age for it.

Isn't that setting their expectations too high when they then watch a 0-0 draw against York? 😅
No. They need to learn that following Southend is an emotional rollercoaster.

“It’s like being showered with gifts on your birthday and then showered with **** when Ron Martin brings his round”

I’ll work on that analogy before I try it on the nipper.

I took my eldest to his first game against Solihull Moors, the 5-0 win. Someone from the club got in touch and we watched in the directors lounge in front of JR.

We made a whole day of it. We got the train up there, stopped for fish and chips, brought him the away shirt, watched the game. We had plenty of snacks, drink, ear defenders and phone, which was a last resort.

David Crown took us pitch side and we spoke to Cav before the game. My eldest starts off incredibly shy at first, and I felt for Cav who tried his best. We had a great day.

He isn’t a massive football fan, didn’t go again until the Rochdale game last match of the season (although we went to Wembley to watch England vs Brazil).

I’ve got him a season ticket, but not sure how much he’ll use it. I think my youngest is more likely to be into football, but it’s more about father and son time (or daughter) as opposed to football.

Same here actually, took my eldest to his first game which was the 5-0 win! He's football obsessed actually, and said it was the best day of his life 🙂

Other than 5-10 minutes, he couldn't take his eyes off the match... but I've taken his little brother to another game who isn't into football and was just on his tablet the whole time, and said the best part of the day was getting a Diet Coke at half time lol.

Thought I'd provide an update because I know a few of you were monitoring this thread with interest as you're considering doing the same with your offspring.

For Saturday, sadly I've decided to give the game a miss. I think due to it being the first game of the season and probably more importantly, the first post-Ron its gonna sell out. Roots Hall doesn't cope well with a packed ground as the toilets and gangways aren't big enough. When you're an adult you just grin and bear this and take your time getting where you need to go or go to the loo at the right times etc.

With a toddler this isn't so much of an option and although its possible, with my son especially, the mood he's in at the time plays a big role in success.

I called the commercial department as I'm thinking the best approach for his first game might be the Blues Legends Lounge as you get to sit in the Blues Paddock area of the East Stand so he'll be able to watch the game, but hopefully it wouldn't have the same overcrowding issues as say, sitting in my normal position in the West. I was a bit disappointed to be told that I'd only get a 20% discount from the full price of 2 tickets for this package. It does seem a bit steep to ask for £140 to take a 4 year old. I still think I will do this in a few weeks time as I really wanna see how it plays out but thinking I'll pick a game which is slightly less popular.

Back