• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Taking a toddler to the home of football

Bromley Blue

The artist formerly known as the_saafender
Hey guys,

As the thread title suggests, I’m thinking of taking my 4 year old to his first game at the Hall for the York game.

Circumstances have conspired against my original plan to attend the game as usual (when I can) in the West stand with my friend. In order to be a good husband and father I think the only way I could attend now and give my wife the break she deserves is to bring my eldest with me.

I’m quite excited about this because it’s been an ambition of mine to take my son to football. Although we’re not local his first time simply has to be at the home of football.

I’ve said a few times on similar threads to this that ideally I would have liked to have taken him to a preseason game first to test the water.

My secondary plan was to book the hospitality in the Centre Circle lounge as I’ve done that before with my friend and it’s probably less daunting for a child than sitting in the crowd and if he needs to run around or whatever it’s less disruptive. But from looking online it looks like I’ve left it too late for this.

Just thought I’d ask if and when others on here have taken the plunge and any advice?

I’m disappointed but totally fine to skip this game and go to the next one if it comes to it too.

Thoughts?

A few tips
* Visit the club shop first and get a momento
* Take lots of photos
* Bring lots of snacks / drinks / treats
* Bring toys / games (phone)
* Be prepared to leave early - if the liitle one starts to get fed up, better to leave before they start to hate it.
* Get a photo with Sammy
* Avoid the toilets if you can

Not too many snacks as I found out on Saturday. I think my 4 year old had too many squashies floating around in his stomach and decided to evacuate them via the original route just as we got in our front door.

He still wanted the McDonalds happy meal he was holding and duly munched that quite happily whilst I cleaned up the mess.

Started taking my daughter last season when she was 4 and now loves it.

she can get a little bored during the game and at times has watched my phone, we sit in block V and at first wanted ear defenders, now she knows most words to the songs personal favourites are “There’s only 1 Kevin Maher” and Husin’s chant 🫣🤣. We also go and meet the players after the game to get signatures that she loves doing and the boys are brilliant with her, She was gutted on Saturday as she was the only 1 who didn’t have the new shirt but she’s delighted this morning as her new junior blue stuff has come through the post.

Take lots of snacks and maybe some ear defenders and try and sit at the end of aisle for a quick escape to the toilet if brave enough.

Attachments

• IMG_2512.jpeg
    IMG_2512.jpeg
    543.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2517.jpeg
    IMG_2517.jpeg
    723.4 KB · Views: 43
Thanks for the tips so far. I should point out that he’s not 4 yet but will be by the York game. So a very young 4. But he can sit there and watch a whole film no issues so I guess it’s up to the boys to put on a game that you can’t take your eyes off!

A few tips
* Take lots of photos
* Be prepared to leave early - if the liitle one starts to get fed up, better to leave before they start to hate it.
* Get a photo with Sammy
I dont need to add anymore as you've covered almost everything I would of mentioned.

Taking my little ones 7 & 2 to Chelmsford next Sat with the missus but won't be taking them to league games. That's my time :-)

Half time chocolate bar from the coffee bar and your phone for most of it.
Yeah I think if realistically that’s what would happen then I’d probably rather bring him when he’s a bit older. I want him to enjoy it. If it’s just keeping him occupied so I can watch the game then I’m not being a good father.

There’s defo times when a bit of telly saves the day but I don’t want it to be Plan A if you get me?

A few tips
* Take lots of photos
* Get a photo with Sammy
All of the above, except 1. I did all that when mine were that age...except the leaving early bit. Once they got bored I let them have their tablets, which kept them occupied until the end. They loved it because ordinarily my wife and I wouldn't let them play games for such a long period! The older they got, the less they used their tablets.

Oh, and food. 100%, especially if you want them to have something less unhealthy.

I took both of my grandsons when they were around 3 to 4 into the Blues Lounge for their first matches (have videos of them both in there). They could move around - David Crown took them down to the pitch - arranged a suitable meal for them in advance and they had a great time. Thoroughly recommend for initial visit.

I took both of my grandsons when they were around 3 to 4 into the Blues Lounge for their first matches (have videos of them both in there). They could move around - David Crown took them down to the pitch - arranged a suitable meal for them in advance and they had a great time. Thoroughly recommend for initial visit.

Yeah thanks this is the kind of experience I had in my head for his first game too. Starting to wonder whether I make alternative arrangements for this game and then book the Blues Lounge for another game.

I want to make sure I get the brainwashing tactics spot-on coz even his local team are above us in the pyramid so I’ve got my work cut out here!

Yeah I think if realistically that’s what would happen then I’d probably rather bring him when he’s a bit older. I want him to enjoy it. If it’s just keeping him occupied so I can watch the game then I’m not being a good father.

There’s defo times when a bit of telly saves the day but I don’t want it to be Plan A if you get me?
Yeah. I didn’t mean from kick off. But when they start to get bored it helps. 90 mins is a long time for a toddler

I took my little one to her first match v Chesterfield last season when she'd just turned 3.

I'd taken her to watch Tilbury many times prior to this ,though I was a little apprehensive considering Tilbury average around 300, not 7,000!

I went in expecting here to be bored out of her head after 5 minutes and thought she might have been a little intimidated by all the noise but I couldn't have been more wrong! She loved every minute of it and to top it off, WE WON!!!

I took my little one to her first match v Chesterfield last season when she'd just turned 3.

I'd taken her to watch Tilbury many times prior to this ,though I was a little apprehensive considering Tilbury average around 300, not 7,000!

I went in expecting here to be bored out of her head after 5 minutes and thought she might have been a little intimidated by all the noise but I couldn't have been more wrong! She loved every minute of it and to top it off, WE WON!!!
Man what a first game to take her to. Didn’t we only have one sub? And against the league leaders.

Yeah I think the overall message from everyone is remember to feed him, have your phone nearby and pray it’s not a turgid 0-0!

As someone else has suggested do for McDonald’s or something afterwards so it’s not all about the football but the stuff ‘doing something with dad that happens to involve football’
Might be more applicable to slightly older children. I didn’t do the above and wish I had

Man what a first game to take her to. Didn’t we only have one sub? And against the league leaders.

Yeah I think the overall message from everyone is remember to feed him, have your phone nearby and pray it’s not a turgid 0-0!

yeah, I did ensure that I was stocked up with snacks and various paw patrol related crap as 'plan B' 😁

Im really looking forward to taking mine, but my boys 5 and he would be bored after 5 minutes so not gonna take him yet as tbh nowone would enjoy it. And i dont see the point in going if hes just gonna need a tablet to pass the time.

I think i was 7 when i went to my first game, i barely remember it, but it was quite exciting. I think ill wait till then, but they are all different.

I took my eldest to his first game against Solihull Moors, the 5-0 win. Someone from the club got in touch and we watched in the directors lounge in front of JR.

We made a whole day of it. We got the train up there, stopped for fish and chips, brought him the away shirt, watched the game. We had plenty of snacks, drink, ear defenders and phone, which was a last resort.

David Crown took us pitch side and we spoke to Cav before the game. My eldest starts off incredibly shy at first, and I felt for Cav who tried his best. We had a great day.

He isn’t a massive football fan, didn’t go again until the Rochdale game last match of the season (although we went to Wembley to watch England vs Brazil).

I’ve got him a season ticket, but not sure how much he’ll use it. I think my youngest is more likely to be into football, but it’s more about father and son time (or daughter) as opposed to football.

I took my eldest to his first game against Solihull Moors, the 5-0 win. Someone from the club got in touch and we watched in the directors lounge in front of JR.

We made a whole day of it. We got the train up there, stopped for fish and chips, brought him the away shirt, watched the game. We had plenty of snacks, drink, ear defenders and phone, which was a last resort.

David Crown took us pitch side and we spoke to Cav before the game. My eldest starts off incredibly shy at first, and I felt for Cav who tried his best. We had a great day.

He isn’t a massive football fan, didn’t go again until the Rochdale game last match of the season (although we went to Wembley to watch England vs Brazil).

I’ve got him a season ticket, but not sure how much he’ll use it. I think my youngest is more likely to be into football, but it’s more about father and son time (or daughter) as opposed to football.

He he I love the “he’s not really into football” followed by ”so I got him a season ticket”! 😂

My son isn’t either to be fair but as others have said it’s still early days in that regard. It’s probably best to just try it one week and see what happens but not be too gutted if it doesn’t work out. I think I too was about 7 when I first got into footy so plenty of time yet.

My gut’s starting to tell me that maybe I pick a game in a few weeks but do the Lounge, the meeting of the players etc. He does get crippled by shyness too so I don’t wanna go too far either.

Last edited:
Back